College Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Just finished reading an article in our local paper this morning, involving Gene Smith the OSU Athletic Director that references this problem. He was having dinner with several other ADs and the Colorado AD was forced to end his meal early and caused Gene Smith to think something was up in The PAC Ten. The very next day the Big Ten presidents voted to accept Oregon and Washington into the conference.

What this signifies to me, means there is so much money on the table with college football money, that it encompasses everything including academics. Almost as bad as reading this morning antibiotics are not working anymore for millions of people and their health care. Seems to me our nation is on a very dangerous course?

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I go back to what I have said before; I believe we are headed to the top 60 teams (give or take a few) forming a new division of college football, breaking from the NCAA and having their own league championship. The only barrier to this may be the greed of the SEC and the Big 10. I guess we could have the South Conference and the North Conference, each with 30 or so teams.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

That's pay walled Sid. But just from the title I know what it's going to say. Pretty much what all the guru's have said, not right now. If for no other reason than like FSU who desperately wants out of the ACC, we are locked up till 2036 and the exit fee is huge.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

ARTICLE LINK DELETED
    Oops! Sorry! Didn't even check. It's written by Tom Noie of the SB Tribune, who covers ND. It basically says that ND's fine where they are, and he takes Florida State to task for whining but not taking action.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I agree, it's really the best way forward, imo....but we all know there aren't 60 ready, willing or able to compete for a title these days. Since its inception in 2014, 6 teams have accounted for approx 80% of all CFP game appearances. There maybe 20 tops, so maybe a "premier" league and a "championship" league. The concept of the soccer structure with promotion and relegation and revenue sharing within divisions has a lot of merit to me.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The only problem with 20 teams is it would.essentially be a.season long playoff. Once again you could be playing the same team 2 or 3 times a season.

7. BuckeyeT

I don't know, could we not have 2 10 team divisions, play a 9 game conference schedule and the 2 division winners play for the Natty. Certainly a worthy champ and unlikely that there would be a rematch....tho possible? As presently structured, it's an arms race with only the rich getter richer with NIL, portal with zero "salary" cap, more concentation among the elite inevitable

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Terry, the problem with that model is you probably have 3 or 4 loss teams at the top of the pile.
    Not sure the college fans are ready for that.
    There won't be any more breather weeks, with a weak sister to regain your balance after a major game. Every game will be a big collision and no one will make it through that close to unscathed.
    It sounds cool, but would be a bloodbath that I don't think most fans would like it.

I'd bet we end up at 36 to 48 teams in a new Collegiate Football League apart from the NCAA.
    How they will divide it up I don't know, but seems inevitable at this point.
    NFL minor league...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

To be very, very generous, in my opinion there may be 8 teams in the entirety of college football with any chance of winning a NC under the current scheduling format. Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Michigan, Clemson, Notre Dame, Penn State.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I think you could add Oklahoma and drop Penn State. Of course, there's always Central Florida;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. BuckeyeT

I agree with that, we could quibble about swapping or adding one or two on the fringes but the point remains it's very, very concentrated at the top currently and my view is under present circumstances, only going to become moreso

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

So should we skip the season and just go straight to the playoffs?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Somewhat agree, but I also think of Oklahoma and LSU. Not sure about Penn State and just don't know enough about Notre Dame at this point to agree or disagree.

14. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

15. Terry O'Keefe

This makes no sense, geographically or financially. I mean the top ACC teams are all lusting for the B10 or SEC for more money. So why would CAL and Stanford sign on for this mess. They'd be better off joining the Mountain West ...or having the Mountain West Join them in the new Pac 16.

16. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

I dunno. The thought of the new Atlantic & Pacific Conference brings back fond childhood memories of mom dragging me to the grocery store so she had company while she shopped.

IMG_0093.jpeg

On the other hand, this does seem like the Titanic sending out a lifeboat to another sunk ship just as its hull was making contact with an iceberg.

• Funny Funny x 4
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  17. Bobdawolverweasel

I also enjoyed reading an Iowa fan asking B10 fans not to think of Oregon as a distant West Coast school but rather as Sexy Iowa.

The PAC 4 is still fighting for its life.

Pac-4: Conference of Champions

• Funny Funny x 3
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  18. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's any small print that would allow Clemson and FSU to bail if the media rights have to be redone for additional teams? The ACC office better read that document inside and out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

The more I think about it, I thnk the B12 should join the Big 10 as an 18 team conference and add Washington Stata and Oregon State. Just makes a lot of sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bobdawolverweasel

Feel bad for the Beaver and Cougar fans. If the ACC Is going to toss a lifeline to Cal and Stan, I hope they also include these two programs.

• Agree Agree x 1