College Football 2023

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I agree that you can cut that list in half and maybe even more. No way that at this point the 'Gators have any chance in the upcoming season.

Georgia has taken control right now. To bad Rodney is no longer around, he is no doubt in all his glory.

I would say, Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, All having the best shot. LSU and Texas A&M could figure in also based on their talent. The only reason I have Clemson in that list is they have the easiest path of all the top team to make it to the top 4.

Edit, add Texas to my list of candidates.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2023
  2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The Notre Dame story remains unchanged. I have read three separate season predictions for the Irish. All three have them finishing 9-3 this year and all three have them losing to Ohio State, Clemson and USC. Until we learn how to beat the big boys ......

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Cheer up George. I bet they all had us beating Marshall last year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I feel better now.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I was listening to a podcast and when the host talked about recruiting he claimed that some of the highly ranked recruits and their parents are demanding not only free travel/lodging/meals for official visits but also cash payments. If they don't get paid they don't visit. Also that many unofficial visits are also paid for by collectives.

At one time the schools only paid the recruits way and 1 adult to accompany him. They eased up and eventually allowed another adult so that both parents could come on the visits. But unofficial visits were always on the family, now they are getting paid but not by the school.

6. Terry O'Keefe

As far as Georges comment that the Irish are penciled in for 3 losses {Ohio State, USC, Clemson} and while they might make a 12 team playoff they won't be going very far, it's just the way things are right now. They have a good team, and a solid roster but ti's not dotted with 5 star kiids and high 4 star kids who are going to to be 1st rounders.

Recruitng has been better the last couple of years and no doubt Marcus Freeman has worked much harder at it than Brian Kelly did and has a better staff for recruiting overall. Alhtough there is talk that Al Golden wanted to go to the NFL after 1 year back in college and is a weak recruiter. But as that graphic that shows the Blue Chip ratio shows that teams like Georgia and Alabama and Ohio State lead the way and have the best chance to win that Nat'l Title. Talent counts. The guy who compiles that acknowledges that there are other factors, culture, coaching etc. Heck TCU made it all the way to the Title game with way less talent and it showed when they faced Georgia.

I don't know if the Irish can get into that top 5 so it's going to take for us and others a magical year where under rated players develop and the staff is really on their toes with game plans and game pretp. Players will need to be focused. It could happen, chances are increased with the 12 team playoff as upsets happen and one year teams that are loaded with talent will just not live up to the talent and lose a game to lesser talented team and we'll have the equivalent of a wildcard winning the Super Bowl or World Series.

[​IMG]

7. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Safe to say that July has been a brutal month for Northwestern. When he left Oregon, my guess is that the new NU president was elated to lead one of the country’s most prestigious universities. Now he is probably holding his head in his hands wondering what it the hell he got himself into.
    Ex-Northwestern players hire civil rights attorney

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Why do I get the feeling that NW isn't the only football program that's going to be hit with these type of claims.

9. Terry O'Keefe

I learned something about NIL. A local rich guy, Mattress Mack, gave 1 million in NIL to the Houston Cougars basketball team for their trip to Australia/New Zeeland. Didn't know that the money could be targeted that way, but apparently it can and the reason he did it so a UH baskeball player from Africa could benefit from NIL. From what I read foreign players here on a VISA can't take NIL money, but since it will be earned outside the states it's good.

Now there are virtually no Div 1 football players from outside the USA except maybe those Australian punters, but a lot of minor sports have foreign players.

10. Terry O'Keefe

I read an interesting article on an Ohio State WR who transferred to Iowa. He was extremely complimentary of his time in Columbus and admitted that his transfer was due to how deep the Buckeye WR was, said he was looking for someplace with a stable solid QB and offense so he believes he found it in Iowa. Say what? Maybe Boda and Don can correct me but wasn't Iowa the worst offense in the Big 10 last year and wasn't the OCoord getting criticism from all sides and many think that if his dad wasn't the HC that he'd be out and looking for a new job?

11. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

No further data or info on your post Terry, but I was shocked about his remarks as well. His reasoning does not make sense to me either.o_O

12. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Iowa is bringing in Cade McNamara, a very capable transfer from X. Kaleb was a top 100 recruit, #13 ranked WR in the country, he just ran into a stacked room, saw more coming in this recruiting cycle and wasn't going to see the field. With an upgrade at QB and an always stingy defense, the addition of a credible outside threat could be a real difference maker for the Hawks, issues at OC notwithstanding. I would expect them to give Wisky a helluva run at the West title and championship game appearance in this the last year of 2 divisions in the B1G. Hope it works out for him

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

From the former Twitter? :D (I know to whom you're referring)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Doesn't come at a good time, pre-season polls have Michigan right there with Alabama and Georgia. I was listening to ESPNU on Big 10 media days and one guy said that Michigan has flipped the series with Ohio State. Michigan recruiting is going very well.

Fortunately the games he'll miss are E.Carolina, UNLV, Bowling Green and Rutgers.

16. Don Ballard

Barley a tap on the wrist?:(

17. Bobdawolverweasel

Being suspended for 4 games is not a light penalty and is 1 game more than Urban’s suspension. The impact of the suspension is softened by Michigan’s incredibly lackluster non conference schedule. The biggest infraction was Harbaugh having lunch with 2 already committed recruits during a time when no contact was supposed to occur. If one considers what has gone on at Tennessee, and in B-ball at Kansas, Arizona, and North Carolina, a single lunch with 2 committed recruits seems a venal sin in comparison. What turned it into a Level 1 infraction was H’s response to NCAA investigators although I am uncertain if the NCAA is alleging he lied to investigators or simply refused to cooperate with the investigators. Given H’s stubbornness and ego, I don’t see him subsequently acknowledging that he lied.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Just what is needed...a new rivalry trophy!!

19. Don Ballard

Bobda, I probably spoke out of turn on that cutting reply. My apologies, just had a miserable day yesterday.:(

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It's interesting that they are negotiating the length of the suspension. What kind of leverage could Harbaugh have to negotiate with?

• Agree Agree x 3