College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Actually, Jamyhr Gibbs is doing ok as a runner but he's our leading receiver. That's what I meant in my post above about our wide receivers. They are so bad that our leading receiver is a running back. He caught 9 passes against Texas including a touchdown reception.

2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

It does make it tough sledding when teams cans stack the box and have no fear of your offense going over the top. That was a real problem for the Aggies last season so I understand kp's concern. I suspect those WRs will start to come around tho, right about the time A&M comes to Tuscaloosa...
    :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Looking at this weeks games the top 10 have a few more challenges as conference play is starting.

1. Georgia v Kent State though is not one of them. Should be a 50 point win if they want.

2. Alabama v Vanderbilt a conference game for sure and Vandy does seem to be a little improved in Clark Lea's 2nd season. But still Tide should roll, maybe those WR's will start to settle in for Bryce Young, they are all 4 and 5 star kids so they don't lack for talent.

3. Ohio State v Wisconsin. The Badgers lost to Wash State the only Power 5 team they have played and they lost at home. So not sure how good those guys are, Mertz their QB had a bad year last year after showing a lot of promise in 2020 esp vs Michigan. So is the offense fixed? We'll find out pretty quickly.

4. Michigan v Maryland Both Squads are unbeaten and neither has played a Power 5 school. So we'll have to wait till Sat night to learn who is for real. I'm betting on Bobda's boys.

5. Clemson v Wake Forrest. Another battle of the unbeatens but historically Wake can't compete with Clemson even though I'm not sure how great Clemson is this year, yet. Wake thought they'd lost their Sr. QB Sam Hartman but he's back, he's a good QB doubt if he's good enough. I have read that Freshman QB Cade Klubnik has been outstanding this fall, I have to wonder if DJ Ungela..something will hold on to the job.

6. OU v Kansas State Recently KState has had OU's number, having beaten them 2 out of the last 3 years. But no doubt the Sooners have the better roster and are at home. UCF transfer Dillion Gabriel has fit in nicely with the Sooners offense. KState lost to Tulane last weekend so I'm not holding my breath for an upset.

7. USC @ Oregon State This is a real test for the Trojans, on the road vs another unbeaten team. Oregon State has looked good so far albiet against Group of 5 teams. If the Trojans lay 50 or 60 on these guys Lincoln Riley has really got something going.

8. Kentuck v N.Illinois. Wildcats get the week off vs these guys, just don't get anybody hurt. They aren't likely to see another one of those "upsets" with N.Illinois.

9. Oklahoma State @ Baylor This is a big game for both teams and the B12. Baylor's only loss is on the road in Provo to BYU a pretty good team and future B12 member. Oklahoma State is undefeated and returns Sr. QB Spencer Sanders. OSU has only played woeful Arizona State in the Power 5 leagues.

10. Arkansas v A&M Huge game for the Aggies, they desperately need the offense to show up and take a win home from the Ozarks. Hogs inspite for their close win vs Missouri State (and Bobby Petrino) are tough physical team, their QB (KJ Jefferson) is a hoss. Big dude who can run the ball and not a bad thrower. The Hog fans will travel in huge caravans from Fayetteville to Jerry World for the game. Scott resists giving any of his money to Jerry Jones so I assume he'll watch from the comfort of his living room. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the coach nobody heard of in Sam Pittman who has got this program going in the right direction. They'll never be Alabama but they'll be a tough out.

11. Tenn v Florida The Vols get the Gators in Knoxville, and they have played very well so far, they got a good road win at Pitt and really have been an offensive machine. The Gators have got a couple of close wins over Utah and USF, that loss to Kentucky though is the key. I was listening to ESPNU and the Knoxville reporter said Vol fans are just waiting to take out a lot of recent frustration on the Gators. Gator QB Anthony Richardson has 4 picks this year and no TD's. Can he step up?

Non-Top 10 games.

Basketball Powers KU and Duke hook up in Lawrence this weekend. Mike Elko has so far done a good job and Lance Leopold has KU unbeaten for the first time in years. Lance's name is being bandied about for the Nebraska job. He's been successful everywhere he's been.

Longhorns trip to Lubbock for the Red Raiders. Reports are that Ewers has practiced this week but no word from Sark as to if he will play. I sort of expect that Hudson Card will be the guy. Longhorns need to get this win or the old "Texas isn't back" will start to amp up.

Michigan State v Minn State went on the road to Washington and lost while Minn is still unbeaten, but their best win is vs woeful Colorado. So again we'll find out who is ready for the B10 season.

Indiana @ Cincinnati Not really a big game like last year, but the Bearcats need this win if they are to climb back into the top 25 after losing to Arkansas in the Hills.

Oregon @ Wazzu Washington State is unbeaten and Oregon needs to continue to rebuild it's reputation after that beat down in Athens. Wazzu does have a win over a power 5 team (Wisconsin).

Brian Kelly gets the week off at LSU with New Mexico coming to Baton Rouge.

Lots of other good games going on but those sort of peak my imagination. There are Thurs and Friday night games. WVa and VaTech square off both needing wins.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Didn't know the Buckeyes did a Blackout.

The Buckeyes will wear all black against the Wisconsin Badgers for their "Blackout Game." The last time the team wore black alternate uniforms was in a 2019 win against the Michigan State Spartans. Ohio State is 3-0 when it wears black entering Saturday, beating the Penn State Nittany Lions in 2015, the Nebraska Cornhuskers in 2018 and the Spartans.

Attendants are also encouraged to wear black to "The Shoe," the Buckeyes' home stadium, on Saturday.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Not to be outdone Kes's Cougars will go all Anthracite? o_O Which is interesting in that Washington State has no active coal mines! Plus according to what I've found on google most coal in Washington State was bituminous not Anthracite!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

One writers view of the Ark/A&M match up.

No A&M game has produced more than 31 total points this year, but Arkansas games have produced an average of 65 points per game, and if anyone can coax points and actual excitement out of the Aggies, it might be the Hogs.

Like Clemson, Arkansas is in a strange place now. The offense is perhaps better than expected: Raheim Sanders is driving an ultra-efficient ground game, and Jefferson is averaging 14 yards per completion, 15.1 to transfer Matt Landers. But the defense, which underwent a big rebuild in the offseason, is 103rd in rushing success rate allowed and has already given up 11 passes of 30-plus yards. Only Arkansas State has allowed more. Missouri State threw for 357 yards against the Razorbacks last week.

Will any of that last paragraph matter against A&M? A&M games feature bad field position and inefficiency for both teams, and while a quarterback change by the Aggies -- from Haynes King to Max Johnson -- produced a win over Miami, Johnson was just 10-for-20 passing, and A&M scored just 17 points. The defense has been only average against the run, but the Aggies don't miss tackles and don't let teams pass. Sanders might have to do some heavy lifting for Arkansas to score, but the Razorbacks might not have to score a ton to win.

7. Scott88

I certainly appreciate why folks would be down on the A&M offense, but there will be some significant differences for this game. Watching a film breakdown of Max against Miami, he has a much better understanding of where to go with the ball than King ever did, and if not for multiple drops would have much better completion and yardage stats.
    A big factor that will help with that - we get WRs Evan Stewart and Chris Marshall back from suspension and both have shown they can get separation, and hold on to the ball when it gets there.
    Those two, plus Anias Smith make me think we should have success through the air.
    And if that causes the hogs to back off the box, you probably don't want Achane getting the ball when your front 7 is not sure he's coming.

Our defense seems to have a weakness at LB. The guys playing right now are pretty good in space, but have TERRIBLE instincts when the opponent runs the ball - engaging way too early in the wrong spot. Hoping we get Andre White back to help with that, as he's good at gap fill.

Special teams have been solid to very good, so all in all I think we have a great chance here.

8. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Not a fan but the kids love it, so I can live with it every few years or so....the first game we lose wearing them they go in the scrap heap

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Scott88

I hear ya T. The Aggies have worn black a few times and apparently the kids loved it...
    I'm with you - I want the TEAM colors out there, not black.
    But they didn't ask us, did they? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Scott are the Aggies/Hogs going to Home/Home sometime in the future? I don't really get the whole need for a game at Jerry World.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Pac12 not giving up on UCLA. The Comissioner is still appealing to the UC Board of Regents to step in and force them to stay in the Pac12

12. Scott88

Terry, YES!
    The only reason it's there now is Jerry's greed. The original contract was for 10 years. About halfway through A&M joined the SEC and they required home and home conference games so that's what we did in 2012-13. Jerry said he'd sue for breach of contract if we didn't give him 10 games straight, so rather than go to court the AD agreed. Current AD has said that deal will end after 2023 and has no chance of continuing. Thank goodness. Screw that greedy bastard and his giant TV stadium.q

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Scott88

Syracuse QB has ZERO pocket sense. Ugh...

14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Maryland 13-10 early in the 2Q. Maryland’s offense is having its way with our defense.

15. Scott88

Climpsun and Wake are trading punches late in the third, tied at 28.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

M’s defense has tightened up and Corum is over 175 yards rushing. 24-13 Wolverines early in the 4th.

17. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

A nice win for the Wolverines Bobda!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Auburn lucks into another win. Missouri misses chipshot fg at the end of 4th that would have won it. Then running back stretches out to extend the ball over the goal line, fumbles into the end zone for.a touch back and Mizzou loses.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Tennessee sure took it to the Gators today. They look like the Tennessee of several years ago. Might give Georgia and Alabama some trouble.

Congratulations Tom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

Texas Tech makes the Longhorns last trip ever to Lubbock a losing trip, winning in OT 37 - 34 They of course rushed the field.

I won't miss those guys and that dusty West Texas burg. ;)