College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well he partied "all night long"

2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Stetson needs to be drafted by Green Bay. Public intoxication is a way of life up here in the land of cheese curds and beer.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I see that the Buckeyes have picked up a CB from the Portal. He's a freshman AA who went into the portal from Ole Miss. Buckeyes are understandably excited, my only worry is that there is definitely a trend of kids who play well early in their careers look to move on to a higher profile program. You see it a lot in basketball where high achieving players at the mid-major level move up to the Power 5 level rather than sticking with their team.

Irish picking up Sam Bradford is sort of the same thing, rather than sticking with the team he'd been with for 4 years he used his extra year to move to a higher profile team and leave behind the program that gave him the opportunity. Good for the Irish, bad for Wake Forrest.

Gone are the days when you can expect players to stay and develop and play 4 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

The Buckeyes picked up former Ole Miss cornerback Davison Igbinosun. Originally a four-star recruit out of New Jersey, Igbinosun had an impactful freshman season for the Rebels in 2022.

In 13 games, Igbinosun registered 37 total tackles and broke up five passes. He should provide an immediate boost to the OSU secondary in 2023.

"Former Ole Miss freshman All-American cornerback Davison Igbinosun has committed to Ohio State. Huge addition to the Buckeye secondary," said one Ohio State fan account.

5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I would have to agree Terry. Definitely a plus player for us and where we really need some help!

6. Terry O'Keefe

Forgot that the "other" Nat'l Signing Day is today.

I see that the #1 TE, Duce Robinson, will not sign today and is also considered a high level baseball prospect.

I think the Irish expect to pick up a few more players, we are over the 85 limit and there is going to be some "roster" management. I have heard that there is an obscure NCAA rule that allows a 1st year coach to move players to an academic scholarship if he no longer feels they can contribute to the team going forward. Freeman has reportedly been meeting with players and been "brutally" honest with their playing chances for next year if they want to stay at ND they get the academic scholarship and if not they go to the Portal. This has been discussed a lot on ND boards and a lot of people aren't very happy that this rule is being used to push kids off the team. They feel like ND has a duty to them to let them continue with the team if they are academically eligible and want to play.

7. Terry O'Keefe

I also saw that A&M has had 29 players enter the Portal. That's a lot of players to turnover on a roster, of course if they aren't going to contribute and you can replace them with other players either from the Portal or freshmen then it could be a good thing. We've seen teams have some great seasons after adding a ton of players, Mich State in 2021 and USC in 2022. I think Tenn 2022 had a lot of player turnover as well.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Guess who is the latest candidate for offensive coordinator at Alabama?

9. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

The Aggies got some good news - Ainias Smith is returning for his super senior season.
    The WR room was going to be pretty good, but now it's pretty DARNED good.
    :D

10. Terry O'Keefe

Tommy Rees, the much hated OC by many ND fans. Many wanted Freeman to fire him after the regular season.

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well, the guy from Washington wanted too much money, so the search continues.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I hate to have to keep correcting my good friend Terry, but I must refute a key word in his post. Tommy Rees is hated by some ND football fans, likely a vocal minority. Terry sees only a sampling on the boards he peruses. Those opinions are not confirmed representations of the many ND fans. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure the same opinions are voiced toward good coaches by samplings of fans of other programs. As the saying goes, you can't please everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Also, if Alabama is considering him, wouldn't that indicate that those who "hate" him don't know as much about college football as they think they do? What really matters is what ND thinks of him. This tweet tells me whom I should believe:

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

No doubt my friend Sid is correct. In fact over on the boards I read if you are a Rees supporter you'd best keep your mouth (or posts) shut as those that haven't like him since the day he was hired will attack you as a no nothing. If you want to get along and not have to argue your point with a lot of others who are vocal the other way then if you liked Tommy you'd best just keep it to yourself.

It's was the same way with Kelly. In fact this season the default position for being popular would be to feel sorry for LSU fans, they know not what is in store for him. That he beat Alabama and won the SEC West was just some sort of anomaly not the real Brian Kelly. The beat down by Georgia in the SEC championship game, now that was vintage Brian Kelly.

if Rees does get the Alabama job and is successful his success will be credited to the wealth of talent he has to work with and the Saban system. Nothing to do with his coaching ability.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

According to Football Scoop the Tide have offered Rees the job and he is in Tuscaloosa with his Fiancé to meet with Saban. Reportedly the offer is north of 2M/year.

To me Rees should take the job, he will have better talent overall to work with and he'll be coaching in the top conference. If successful he'll pad his resume' and in a few years be up for HC jobs at good Power 5 schools. Plus you can't put a price on being tutored by Nick Saban

https://footballscoop.com/news/notr...-target-for-alabama-offensive-coordinator-job

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I agree with your assessment of what Rees should do. We know that several of Saban's OCs have gone on to HC jobs. Of course, some previously had been HCs, but if Rees goes there and is successful, being Saban's OC should be a springboard to higher things. If ND matches the offer, it'll be interesting to see what he decides.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Sid at this point there is enough money on the table and it really shouldn't be

18. Terry O'Keefe

Don I did not know this about Lou Holtz and Ohio State, did you? After Woody was fired.

At 20-3-1 in his first two seasons at Arkansas, Holtz had a 66-35-4 record in nine years as a head coach and was approaching his 42nd birthday. Holtz said OSU athletic director Hugh Hindman called and they had this exchange.

Hindman: "We'd like you to apply for the Ohio State job and interview you."

Holtz: "Well, how many people are you going to interview?"

Hindman: "Probably four or five, but you are by far the leading candidate."

Holtz: "Hugh, I was at Ohio State, served on the staff with you. I've been head coach at William & Mary, N.C. State, Arkansas. What in the world are you going to find out in an interview that you don't know about me alread
    y? Or look at the track record.

"And if I interview at (Ohio State), I wanna tell you they will run me out of that state (of Arkansas), because we had a better football team than Ohio State had at that time.

So Holtz wanted an offer, not an interview. And an offer would have changed Ohio State's football history.

"I said if you offer me the job, chances are that I will come back, because I love Ohio State," Holtz said. "I was raised in this state. But I'm not going to go through the interviewing process. He said, 'Well, if you change your mind, call me." And I said, 'Well, I wouldn't sit by the phone.'

"And that was the end of the conversation. I refused to go through the interviewing process because it was totally unfair to the people of Arkansas. ... You just don't go interview. Everybody thinks their school is better than any other school in the country. And if you even think about interviewing with anybody else, it's a disloyalty.

"And that's what happened and I never regretted it."

What if Lou Holtz had replaced Woody Hayes at Ohio State? Holtz tells how it could have happened

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Terry, I have heard rumors of that off and on over the years. However, there are always two sides to the so called truth of the situation. Definitely sounds like Lou's version and not Hindman's?

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I think the guys really talented. Despite the online idiot fans I think he was handcuffed by having to recruit talent to play for Kelly. I hope ND tries to retain him. Next year’s O has some exciting promise.