College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sad, but they really did not have any choice!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Not a big surprise, in today's college football once you decide to make a move nobody waits till the end of the season.

3. Terry O'Keefe

No surprise Georgia is #1, Irish drop out for the 1st time in 80 weeks, Aggies almost drop out. The big 3 from CUSA, not ranked

4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I'm back! (Phone was left behind accidentally while I watched my high school kids take on a team that had actually practiced.)
    My comments that follow are in no way meant to take away from App St. They had a game plan, and actually executed pretty well.

The Aggies on the other hand...
    Being there gives you a different view - I can see the coaches clearly and their interactions with players during the game.
    I can't tell you how many times there were players either lined up incorrectly, or going the wrong way after the snap.
    This was like watching the spring game with all the new kids. No one seemed to know what was going on.
    It was a total team effort loss.
    The offense was completely lost, with no one on the same page.
    The defense was mistake prone, with quite a few penalties that extended drives that should have been stopped.
    Special teams had a bright spot with the return TD, but that field goal attempt was sad.
    No idea where they go from here.
    Thank goodness I'm older and wiser now. I was over it walking out of the stadium.
    I never really thought this was a top 15 team, so being dropped a mile won't bother me.
    Hoping it'll be fun seeing them pull together and do something going forward.
    Or... there's always next year. :D

5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I'm kind of surprised Alabama only fell one spot. Our next test should be at Arkansas in 3 weeks. In reality our next test is our next game.

6. Terry O'Keefe

:cool::cool::cool::D

7. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Mickey Joseph named interim HC

8. Don Ballard

Really sorry things did not work out for Frost AJ. Maybe it was not meant to be. I wish him well in his future endeavors!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Frost’s buyout is $15 million, so I’m guessing he’ll have his choice of endeavors. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I wish I could say that I'm shocked but the past 2 decades have thickened my skin.

11. Don Ballard

Sid, that does sound comical to me now, but at the time I did not even think about the buyout.o_O

12. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

If he's a true Husker...he'll donate half of that back.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

SEC Shorts hit the ground quickly after Week 2.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Bob beat me to it... At least I wasn't alone. ;)

15. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Nice of them to note Michigan’s loss to App State.

The woman who plays Hope is a better comedic actress than anyone currently on SNL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. Best one yet.

17. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

15 mil deductible....KMA!...lol...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Boone NC Over Lincoln Ne?...whores.

19. Terry O'Keefe

There will be some good matchups this weekend, the #1 matchup will be TOK vs Pinehurst! Pinehurst is favored by 18 strokes! :D

But back to football, lets see where the top 10 are playing.

1. Georgia ...the dawgs travel to South Carolina where the Gamecocks lost a couple of key players on defense to ACL'S. Tough job got tougher, Dawgs are on a roll here and should cruise.

2. Alabama ..The Tide and Saban still bristling from the escape from Austin, face Louisian Monroe so I imagine that things will return to normal. I heard one broadcaster say that when Alabama has a bad game vs a big underdog that Saban punishes the rest of the schedule.

3. Ohio State faces Toledo and I imagine that we'll continue to see that offense that was less explosive against the Irish grow and get more and more dangerous. Buckeyes roll.

4. Michigan faces a basketball team in UConn. They didn't even play football in 2020 and have a resurrected Jim Mora as their coach. Biggest question is who will Harbaugh start at QB.

5. Clemson faces Louisian Tech ..they are no Marshall!

6. Oklahoma The Sooners go to Lincoln to face the Huskers who just fired their coach. I doubt if Brent Venables will call off the dogs if it gets ugly and it's likely to get ugly. So far the new look Sooners under Venables look a lot like the old Sooners.

7. USC ...Lincoln Riley seems to have completely turned around the Trojans with the help of 40 or 50 new players. I imagine that Fresno State will get the full load of the USC offense and the game will be over quickly.

8. Oklahoma State Mike Gundy had a very good year last year and came within a whisker of making the CFP. He got his QB back and in college football that is huge. They have already beaten a Power 5 foe in Arizona State. Arkansas Pine Bluff this weekend will be canon fodder.

9. Kentucky welcomes Youngstown State, formerly coached by such guys as Jim Tressel and Bo Pellini but those guys aren't there this year and the Wildcats looked good in taking down UF in the Swamp last weekend.

10. Arkansas welcomes unbeaten Missouri State to Ozarks, I've seen that series and they will be lucky to leave town with the clothes on their backs. Marty Byrd and Ruth might not play for Arkansas but they will still get fleeced.

So as you can see the Top 10 isn't in any real danger as not a single CUSA team is on their schedule.

So where are the top game?

CAL vs Notre Dame The desperate Irish vs a Pac12 team who has been pretty mediocre for more than a few years, but they are undefeated this year so far and the Pac12 needs wins out of conference to bolster it's image a win here would be very big for the Pac 12 and CAL.

BYU vs Oregon. BYU has come out of the gate strong beat a top 10 Baylor last weekend. Oregon is still smarting from that whipping Georgia put on them. Could be a very good game.

Penn State vs Auburn Just the fact that Penn State is going to the Plains to play Auburn is a big deal in itself, not to mention that Auburn lost last year in Happy Valley. I'm sure the Auburn fans will be whipped up for this contest.

Kansas vs Houston Future Big 12 foes, Houston is a pretty good team, and Lance Leopold is a pretty good coach for KU they are 2-0 and beat West Virginia last week in Morgantown.

Mississippi State vs LSU Brian Kelly got his first win by running over poor over matched Southern University. Now he has to face Mike Leach and the Air Raid, Kelly needs this win really bad, but it won't be easy. Will Rogers the MSU QB has been in the Air Raid for 2 years, he's a dangerous player. If the Tigers can't hold him they haven't much chance.

Miami @ Texas A&M This is clearly the biggest game of the weekend. Miami has very good QB in Tyler Van Dyke and a new coach with ties to the old Miami and to Nick Saban. They are off to a good start while in College Station they aren't sure who will start at QB or if Jimbo will relinquish the play calling. Aggies like the Irish badly need a quick turnaround but at least they still have a healthy QB room to do it with.

UTSA @ Texas Can the Longhorns avoid the big letdown after an emotional loss to the Tide, who will play QB? Sark was non-committal on the health of his qB's Ewers and Card. He only has Charles Wright in the room to play if those guys aren't 100%. UTSA a solid mid-major program on the rise and if the Longhorns don't show up they could be sitting where Neb, ND and A&M sat last weekend.

20. Don Ballard

There will be some good matchups this weekend, the #1 matchup will be TOK vs Pinehurst! Pinehurst is favored by 18 strokes! :Do_O

It will be very interesting to me to see how Notre Dame responds in this game. They desperately need a win at home. A loss could be a real stumbling block for the rest of the season. I hope Coach Freeman can meet the challenge.

• Agree Agree x 2