College Football 2022

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 26, 2022.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Don, the feeling is that he could have played yesterday but Saban held him out out of caution. I think he will play against Tennessee but Milroe was a disappointment. We were.hoping for a "do no harm" performance. We didn't get that. We need him to step up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I hope Young is 100%, that Tenn / Alabama game is shaping up to be the game of the year in the SEC.

Vols haven't beaten Alabama since 2006, the 15 years before that the Vols dominated the Tide.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I think the Irish have established themselves as players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

Matt Rhule is available now that the Panthers have fired him. He was very successful at Temple and Baylor.

I wonder if he will be in the mix at Wisconsin, Nebraska, or even Auburn if/when they fire Harsin?

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I'll take him as an OC! He won't be underpaid! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama may be in the market for an OC this off season. Of course we can always use another analyst now.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Terry O'Keefe

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the Alabama DB who was in on the last play claims he knew where the ball was going because he read Jimbo's lips. :rolleyes::confused:o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Didn't realize that K J K Jefferson didn't play last weekend vs Mississippi State.

Arkansas quarterback KJ Jefferson, who missed Saturday's loss at Mississippi State because of a head injury, is expected to be available this week against BYU, coach Sam Pittman told reporters on Monday.

10. Scott88

What's sad is if you watch the replay, that's a TD if King throws immediately at the pylon.
    However, he peeks over the middle first, then turns and throws it late into the stands.
    Most people are pissed at Jimbo not because the play was bad, but because it was a play King was very unlikely to be able to execute...

11. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

That play was terrible.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Week 7, things are getting intense!

Good Thursday game for the Big 12 with Baylor tripping to Morgantown for a game with West Virginia. After losing last week to Oklahoma State the Bears can ill afford to lose another game if they want to play for the B12 Championship.

1. Georgia welcomes Vandy between the Hedges. The Dawgs haven't exactly been putting people away in the 1st quarter, they have let Kent State and Missouri hang around. Doubt if that happens though with Vanderbilt at home.

2. Ohio State gets the weekend off to prepare for Iowa and hopefully get a couple of their All Americans healthy enough to play down the stretch run.

3. Alabama trips to Knoxville to face a rising Tenn Vol team that is no doubt chomping at the bit to erase years of frustration with this traditional rival. During the Phil Fulmer era the Vols had the upper hand with the Tide but that's been a long time. They have a healthy and playing extremely well QB in Hooker. The Tide has a question mark. If Young can't go they are in trouble based on what we saw from Milroe. Either way though Neyland Stadium will be a rocking place and if the Vols somehow win they will party late into the night. I don't think they burn couches though in Knoxville. This will be the best defense though that the high powered Vol offense has faced by a big margin. Should be a great game.

4. Clemson @ FSU The 'Noles are certainly an improved team but Clemson has improved this season each week on offense. The QB is better and more confident and their RB Will Shipley is one of the best in the country. I imagine that given that FSU couldn't handle Wake Forrest, that more of the same will happen with Clemson in town.

5. Michigan vs Penn State. Two undefeated teams, the Nit's have a bevy of young talent at skill positions and a vet at qB so they should be a big challenge to the Wolverines. JJ McCarthy the young QB seems to be getting better each week and is a dual threat. This is the biggest game on the UM schedule till the trip to Columbus.

6. Tenn v Alabama see above.

7. USC @ Utah. The Utes were thought to be maybe the best team in the Pac12 till they went to Pasadena and lost to UCLA last weekend. USC has met all their challenges this year so far, had close wins (Oregon State) and more than 1 blowout. But traveling to Salt Lake City and playing the Utes there at Altitude is always a bit of a challenge. Should be a really good game and while USC can afford a loss, Utah cannot afford another loss in the Pac 12.

8. Oklahoma State @ TCU There is so much parity in the B12 that every week the B12 leaders are facing must win type of games. Both these teams are undefeated, OSU was expected to be a really good team again this year with a returning Sr. QB in Spencer Sanders while TCU had a new coach, new system and a retread QB in Max Duggan who has had an up and down career. He's a dual threat kid who is a bull running the ball but has been inconsistent. Sonny Dykes seems to have fixed this and TCU has looked really good. Should be a great game, the loser is not out of the race.

9. Ole Miss vs Auburn. Kiffin gets the week off with Auburn and their one foot out the door coach! They had a slow start last week with Vanderbilt and Auburn put up a bit of a fight early vs Georgia. Rebs just have too much offense for Auburn though. Should be a 20+ point win in the end.

10. Penn State @ Mich ...see above.

Others

KU going down to Norman to face reeling OU. They lost a close one to TCU last week and lost their starting QB as well. The backup did a great job though. OU is just awful right now, their defense is just awful, they don't have a QB. KU likely to get their first win vs OU in 17 years.

Texas vs Iowa State while not a big game in the overall scheme of things. The Longhorns with Ewers at QB are looking like a team that could win the B12. But not to get overly excited by the win vs a helpless OU team they need to follow it up with a win over a solid and well coached Iowa State team. I won't be shocked if the Longhorns win out to tell you the truth. But Ewers has to stay healthy.

Minn @ Illinois The Illini are the new power in the BTW!! Minn was just a couple of weeks ago the odds on favorite to win the BTW. Till Purdue whacked them Now Fat Brett is the rising star in the coaching ranks (again) and everybody is talking about how he knows how to build and win in the Big 10. I even heard one ESPNU guy say that Illinois was now the best job in the BTW because of recruiting the state and Chicagoland.

LSU @ Florida These two schools really don't like each other. LSU really looked bad vs the Vols last week and the Gators also had their problems with the Vols this year. Brian Kelly is finding out that LSU fans don't take kindly to excuses and a bad loss to the Gators will make life tough for him down on the Bayou. LSU just doesn't look like a well coached team and they have little to no passing game. Swamp is not going to help things.

Arkansas @ BYU This is a weird road trip for the Hogs. What are they doing going to Provo in early October? Irish had their way with BYU last week in Vegas, and the Hogs if they get KJ Jefferson back healthy should win this game.

Miss State @ Kentucky Sort of off the radar with the big game in Knoxville but this is a really big game for both schools. Both need the win to help position themselves for a good bowl game. Neither has any real chance of reaching the SEC Champ game, but it's still an important game for the programs. Last weekend Mike Leach seems to have remembered it's ok to run the football and Kentucky hasn't fournd life without Will Levis to be good. I don't know if he's back this weekend. If he's not, the Pirate will plunder Lexington.

Nebraska @ Purdue So a surprisingly important game. Nebraska with their interim coach find themselves in the middle of a 2 game winning streak and tied for the lead in the BTW with Purdue and Illinois. Purdue handily took down the Gophers and look pretty strong. At home they boil the Huskers!

NC State @ Syracuse. The Orange have had a surprising season so far being undefeated. NC State has had a good season but couldn't handle Clemson and barely got past FSU. The QB was injured and they haven't said anything about his availability. They do have a strong defense, the Orange are healthy though. Big game for both teams if they hope to make it to the ACC Champ game.

Scott gets the weekend off, he can go hunting! Aggies get the bye to prepare for South Carolina and give Jimbo some rest!

13. Scott88

Rumors abound that Haynes King's ankle is injured for real... so we need the two weeks to get the freshman ready to start. Of course, half the fan base has been calling for him since day one.
    There's never a better player than the back up QB!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

#5. Just can't bring myself to be a believer in Penn State. I say Michigan wins fairly easily...though they have had some warts at times.

I just hate that my past couple comments of "Well, they really aren't that great" were based on my belief that Purdue should have beat them (PSU and Syracuse). Maybe Purdue is stronger than I think except in the mistakes department (setting NCAA records there).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama will have to execute much, much better to win in Knoxville. We have the talent, we just need to eliminate penalties, turnovers and our wide receivers need to be able.to get.open. I think those are.the keys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

He'll be here all weeks, folks! :D

17. Terry O'Keefe

If Milroe starts in that atmosphere in Knoxville, I fear it will be very tough for him to get comfortable. Bryce Young however has seen it before and knows how to handle it.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Right now slightly more than 50% of the fan vote is on Alabama.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Even in our easier wins, the Alabama wide receivers have not been able to break away for big plays. That is a problem no matter who the QB is. If Milroe has to play, he has to step up. If Young can play the wide receivers have.to step up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sounds like marriage Kp, both sides have to step up to make things work!:)

• Funny Funny x 1