College Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Really strange both brothers were let go in the same season. If you can not win you are no longer in demand. Of course Sean had some nasty recruiting violations as well.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  2. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Which IU team under Knight had a player say, "the practices were so brutal, that we couldn't wait to play the next game, because we knew we'd get a break"? I know I've heard that before. Was it 76 or 80 team?

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Article in today's Houston Chronicle says new Texas coach Chris Beard right now has no players committed to playing in 2021-22. Yikes. He does have a few players from last years team who are thinking about returning. But bottom line is it's going to be a nearly completely different roster next year.

4. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

So what happens when the Supreme Court rules that they have to pay the players? Will every player join the portal every year to become a free agent? Will there be bidding wars or a free agent draft?

5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

So not one of you historians on this board knows what I'm talking about?...

6. Don Ballard

I remember hearing the quote, but not the name of the player, Sid would be your best bet:)

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Don, I have a vague recollection of a quote like that, but I can't place it. Truthfully, it could have been said by anyone who played for Knight.

Re: IU's portal-gate. The final result is in. Five of the six players who declared for the transfer portal have returned to IU. Armaan Franklin is transferring to Virginia.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Overtime Elite Basketball? What the hell is that? Well it's a league that will pay the "top" HS age players to play in the league. They say the salaries will be 6 figures, and those who play will forfeit their high school and college eligibility. Kind of like the GLeague which already allows High School age players, but I believe they require that you be finished with HS, it's a way to play and prepare for the NBA without going to college and making some money at the same time. Not sure how many kids signed up for G League instead of going to college.

Why do I think this is going to fail. I know the kids and the parents sometimes see NBA gold for their son who no doubt is the next Steph Curry, Lebron, James Harden, etc....but jeez, how about letting a kid be a kid. I guess this is the way things go in Europe for soccer where kids turn pro sometimes in their early teens and the play for some major teams development squad.

But this fall Ollie will return to the sidelines as a coach with the new Overtime Elite (OTE) basketball league, which will launch in September and pay high school-aged players (between 16 and 18 years old) six-figure salaries. Players who join the league will forfeit their remaining high school and college eligibility.

Kevin Ollie returning to coaching with Overtime Elite basketball league

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Six figures? That's roughly $1 million per team just for the players. Where in the world are they going to find the kind of money it's going to take to support this bold undertaking? I'm with Terry re: my skepticism.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Sid I agree, I don't know where the money will come from. LaVar Ball started a league like this it turns out, he called it the Jr. Basketball Assn. It failed. I don't know if any of the players in that league other than his son's ever were drafted by the NBA.

I am all for kids who don't want to go to college, having an venue. The NBA G-League is an option, they can also go overseas, which has to be a tough decision for an 18y/o. Baseball players forever have been able to go to the minors and until recently that was considered the better way to go if you are a highly talented kid. Now I think that the college route is drawing more kids who previously went to the minors.

I know in Europe where Pro careers are not tied to collegiate athletics like here in the US, this is pretty normal for high achieving kids in sports like Soccer and Basketball.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Arizona hired Gonzaga Asst, Tommy Lloyd, as their new HC. I didn't know anything about him, probably nobody here knew anything about him either. But from what I've read he's the top recruiter of International Talent around, Gonzaga's rise to prominence has featured a number of Euro players and he's the guy who brought them to Spokane. He's been at Gonzaga with Mark Few for 20 years. So I guess the question is how much will this hurt Gonzaga, and I expect we'll see a new pipeline of Euro talent to Arizona.

Also both the B12 and the ACC have changed their rules regarding intraconference transfers. Previously they forfeited a year of eligibility and now they won't have to do that, I imagine this was inspired by the NCAA now allowing a 1 time transfer and immediate eligibility. I don't know if other leagues have had similar rules but if they do I'd expect them to be changed also in response to the new NCAA rules.

It certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out, chaos? Some have said that the mid majors are going to be hurt by this as their top players will be able to move to Power 5 and higher profile teams easily.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Correct, but it could be a two-way street with Power 5 players who haven't cracked the two-deep roster looking for a chance to play and going "down" to a mid major team who originally recruited them. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Don Ballard

Sid, I think you have a very valid point, everyone wants to play right now, especially basketball. Like you say time will tell.

14. Terry O'Keefe

In a shocking move Kim Mulkey has resigned at Baylor to take the LSU job. While I personally don't care for her on the court persona, there is no doubt she is a HOF coach with 3 National Titles and total dominance of the B12. She is also a recruiting machine.

Thing is, it's being cast has her going home. But she is not a LSU grad, she went to La.Tech. But she is from Louisiana. The last time a big name basketball coach moved to a lesser program, can anybody think of one? Roy Williams was extremely successful at KU before moving to UNC, but he was going home and UNC is another Blue Blood program. LSU is not.

15. Terry O'Keefe

Chris Beard is quickly rebuilding the Texas roster. He pretty much had no players after he took the job, but he's now has had 4 players from the Portal and talked a couple of last years players into staying and not leaving. So things are looking up that we'll have enough players to have a team! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Gators took 4 from the Portal and lost I think 3 to the Portal. We have one recruit and it looks like our guy who passed out on the floor during the FSU game may be approved to play again. I am not sure I love that idea, for his benefit. Wouldn't want to see him die on the court.

17. Don Ballard

I see where Coach K is finally retiring from Duke after this season. A remarkable coach for a number of years at age 75.

18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Nevah hoid of the bum Don.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Terry O'Keefe

I wouldn't want to be the coach who has to follow a legend like Coach K. He's been a truly great coach, not just in college but also with USA Basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1