College Basketball

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Terry, this has been a very strange season for Ohio State. A number of injuries, suspensions and our top recruit form Iowa has temporarily left the team due to mental problems. Holtmann has only seven players he trusts on the floor at the moment. One of our best rebounders is now out with a high ankle sprain in the game with Maryland yesteerday. Nt god news in preparing for the NCAA Tournament.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Notre Dame Coach Mike Brey on impending 'Free Agency" in basketball.

NCAA FREE AGENCY COMING

Brey, serving his term as president of the National Association of Basketball Coaches, wholly embraces both the graduate-transfer model that’s current in NCAA athletics, as well as the rule that requires a transferring student-athlete to sit out a year in residence barring a waiver granting immediate playing time.

The former isn’t changing; the latter is about to usher in “free agency” in college athletics, according to Brey.

“Now where we’re going, I think we’re going to free agency,” Brey said. “I don’t think we can win that. The coaches don’t want that, and we feel, I sat out a year (going from Northwestern State to George Washington) and it was good for me when I transferred, but I think it’s going to free agency.

“Which I think I was a coach at Delaware, a lot of really good mid-major players that I had, and a lot of them are leaving now anyway, getting a waiver and transferring up, but now it’s going to be just an amazing vacuum.”

Brey says he isn’t sure he’d be two decades into his tenure at Notre Dame under a coming transfer-rule change Brey feels so certain is happening that he says, “we can’t win this one.”

“I tell Mike Pegues, Louisville assistant coach, all the time, he was my best player at Delaware, you would have gone to Villanova or Maryland after your sophomore year and I never would have got the Notre Dame job,” Brey said. “He laughed and I said, ‘No, I’m serious.’ I’ve had a lot of coaches call me, because I’m on the hot set as president, and I just talked to Tad Boyle at Colorado, he said, ‘Mike, it’s horrible.’

“I don’t think we can win it. We meet with (NCAA President Mark) Emmert and the NCAA administration at the Final Four as a board. That’s going to be the No. 1 pushback. I’m really interested to hear if we have any ability to push; I don’t think we do. I think this thing’s out of the gate.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Getting down to the Conference tournaments soon. Baylor has stumbled as late, and Kentucky has won the SEC, looks like Maryland will win the Big 10, UCLA is hot out west and could win the Pac 12, Kansas is likely to win the Big 12.

Texas is on a job saving type of winning streak for Shaka Smart.

Krebs Dayton Flyers are a top 5 team and maybe a #1 seed.

4. Don Ballard

I think the Dayton Flyers are better than most people thought!

5. Terry O'Keefe

That was a pretty big win for Mich State over Maryland this weekend. There is no doubt that getting hot at the end of the season in basketball is what you want, how you played in November doesn't count if you are not playing well in March!

This could be a non-blueblood Final Four. Kansas the current #1 is a blueblood but also has a history of underperforming in the NCAA tournament, even though they have won a Title under self and played in the final game as well. They've not made it out of the 1st weekend 6 times when they have been very highly seeded.

Gonzaga isn't really a blueblood although they are a great program. Baylor not a blueblood, nor is Dayton.

Watch out for the Houston Cougars, Kelvin Sampson has done a great job rebuilding them and they are a strong program now. Kelvin even follows NCAA rules these days!

6. Terry O'Keefe

KU is the unanimous #1 this week. Dayton up to #3. While the #1 seeds don't automatically go to the top 4 in the polls, if Dayton wins out and wins the Atlantic 10 tourney it would be hard to deny them a #1 seed. Kentucky wins out and wins the SEC tourney I'd bet they'd be a #1 seed and same for Gonzaga. If either Baylor or KU win the B12 tourney they'd likely be #1 seeds as well.

As strong as the Big 10 is this year, it's not very likely that they get a #1 seed. First time in awhile that the ACC will not have a #1 seed.

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Wouldn't bet on it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Well Texas beat OU last night....on a 5 game winning streak...ie job saving streak for Shaka. Longhorns finish at home this Sat vs Oklahoma State a team that is towards the bottom of the B12 and is 5-11 in conference play, so that should be a win. They could finish 10-9 tied for 3rd place in the B12, nobody saw this a month ago, esp after losing to Iowa State badly to cap a streak where they went 2-7. Fans gave up on Shaka, not sure if anything the team does will make the fans glad that Shaka might be retained. But I think the AD and Administration like Shaka a lot and so I won't be shocked if he's retained for 2020-2021 season. As I said i doubt if fans will be excited though.

9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Big 10 won't get really high seedings but should get a bunch of teams dancing. Could Purdue make it as a bubble team? Mediocre record but quite a few quality wins.

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Stu, I hope Purdue is chosen, but I'm not holding my breath. They could be NIT-bound. I'm more confident that IU will get in, which is ironic in that Purdue swept IU in the regular season. Unless ND pulls a stunning upset and wins the ACC tournament, which is unlikely, their only hope IMO is the NIT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Right now Maryland is a 2 seed, next is MSU and Penn State as 4 seeds...the rest will be lower. As you say probably the most entries of any conference just not many high seeds.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Like a lot of teams the Irish have had their chances, could have beaten FSU both at their place and at home last night, but instead of finding a way to win they found a way to lose the close one at the end. I'd say NIT will be what their season has earned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Don Ballard

Big win for my Buckeyes last night over Illini here in Columbus 71-63. We face the MSU Spartans in East Lansing Sunday afternoon. That one will be a tough game for us and end regular season play. Three conference leaders have all lost six games. This has been a rough schedule for the B1G TEN this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Terry O'Keefe

Don what do you think has allowed the Buckeyes to get back on the track that they had early in the season?

Lots of big games, senior days today.

Texas takes on Oklahoma State on Sr Day in Austin and the Irish take on Va.Tech on Sr. Day in South Bend.

15. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Gators vs Kentucky in Gainesville today.

Strange season for the Gators. Have been behind by as much as 20 points in the second half and won, then lead by high teens and lose, go figure.

A win today and we get a double bye in the SEC tournament.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Baylor lost again today, road loss to WVU. That is 3 out of the last 5 games, this is the time of the year to be peaking not sliding

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Florida blew a big lead. Alabama lost to Missouri. Not much promise.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Kentucky was missing a key player who is out due severe personal problems, whatever that means.

19. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

The Aggies beat Arkansas tonight to finish 2 games over 500 both in total, and in conference play.
    Wow... I was expecting to win 2 TOTAL conference games this year when things started.
    What a job Buzz has done. Watching them improve from the Chinese fire-drill they were at the beginning of the year to the hard nosed (but still not that talented) team of today was a pleasure.
    Very excited for the future of A&M basketball!

20. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

20 straight wins. Shoot 52% from the filed for the year. #3 in the nation in three point shooting percentage. Good free throw shooting. Have had 8 different players score in double figures. This team is built similarly to the Villanova team that won it all a few years back.

• Like Like x 1