College Basketball 2023-24

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I imagine Michigan paid him more money that Louisville?

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Haven't been as many upsets in the women's tourney so far, I think I read that the higher seeds were 31-1 in the 1st round. Much different from the Men's side where upsets are common in the 1st round. The 1st big upset was Duke beating Ohio State. Middle Tenn gave LSU a run for awhile but then LSU talent took over and it was lights out.
    a
    Texas and Alabama are in a good battle in Austin. While South Carolina routed a pretty good UNC team without their starting center who sat out after the fight in the LSU game in the SEC Champ game. No porblem for the uber talented Gamecocks.

The biggest story remains the pending story on LSU coach Kim Mulkey.

Oh yeah and there is that Clark kid who some think is pretty good.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Really good games today on the Women's tourney. ND cruised, but UConn was in a battle with 'Cuse and Syracuse took them to the end before falling. Now Iowa is in a battle with WVU in the 1st half leading by 2 at the half.

4. Don Ballard

Iowa advances with a win over West Virginia 64-5, Game was much closer than final score indicates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Catlin got another record tonight and the Hawkeyes survived a fiesty WVU team that battled them down to the end.

6. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't see it but UCLA also survived and advanced against 7 seed Creighton. A lot of very close games today. IU had a close game with OU but again,they survived and advanced to the Sweet 16

7. Terry O'Keefe

I'm basketballed out, there are 2 more games USC/KU and Gonzaga/Utah both should be good. But I'm going to bed!!:D

8. Terry O'Keefe

Ohio State, Michigan, Stanford all have new coaches, reportedly May would have been interested in the IU job as an Alum had they parted ways with Mike Woodson. Right now there are 40 jobs open and 12 have been filed according to an article I read. Coaching Carousel spins!

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The WVU vs Iowa game was a really great game. Mountaineers were certainly not intimidated by going to Iowa to play the 1 seed and played tenacious defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Late 4th qtr I thought, wth if Iowa loses, on Clark's last home game.

But they didn't and I bet the crowd stayed as long as Catlin was out on the court.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Don Ballard

Buckeyes lose to Georgia here at home this evening, in NIT Quarter finals 79-77

12. Terry O'Keefe

On the Women's side things are certainly interesting. Invincible South Carolina had a bit of a scare with IU and then there is Catlin's March to the Final Four which is blocked by the Evil LSU Tigers. They were declared Evil by a L.A.Times Article and then there is the WaPo article on Bayou Barbie showing her to be not a nice person. The King of the Final Fours is UCONN which is a very good team, but are very thin with a lot of injuries leaving them that way.

Hard to imagine Iowa getting by LSU to tell you the truth. They are a very good team for sure but Catlin doesn't quite have the supporting cast that Angel Reese has at LSU and given all the stuff going on around LSU I think that works in their favor and they beat Iowa by at least 10. So then it's Catlin off to the USA Basketball camp for the Olympics this summer and the WNBA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Don Ballard

Terry, how did you like Coach Mulkey's colorful pant suit outfit in the last game? I would have labeled it to be more of a circus or clown manner!o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

She is a circus clown to be sure...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

A couple of significant moves today.

Tenn Lady Vols coach Kellie Harper who played for Pat Summit and won 3 Nat'l Championships was fired today. You have to wonder if Kamila Cardosa doesn't bank in a 3 point shot at the buzzer to win the SEC Championship would they have fired her, did that one shot sink her? The Vols have facilities, resources, tradition so I expect the next coach to be a significant hire.

Also SMU hired USC Coach Andy Enfield. Seems odd to me that he'd leave USC for SMU. But maybe he just wanted out of L.A. SMU does have the financial backing of big money Alums for sure and Dallas/North Texas has a ton of basketball talent.

After 11 years at USC, men’s basketball head coach Andy Enfield has left for the same position at Southern Methodist, the Mustangs announced Monday.

Enfield led the Trojans to rarely seen success on the court, including their first Elite Eight in 20 years in 2021. The team’s 95 wins in the previous four years were a school record before an injury-riddled 15-18 campaign ended USC’s streak of four consecutive 20-win seasons. Enfield ranks third on USC’s all-time wins list with a 220-147 record.

17. Terry O'Keefe

1st half of LSU/Iowa has lived up to the hype. The stars (Reese and Clark) have starred. Bayou Barbie has a muted green outfit not a clown suit.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Just a tremendous game. I thought that LSU just had too much talent around Angel Reese and would win, but Catlin Clark shined tonight scoring, assisting, leading and her running mate Kate Martin who is my favorite non-ND player had an outstanding game as well.

USC/UCONN up next and should also be a great game. JuJu vs Paige Buckets.

19. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Clark was MJ tonight. Took a team with inferior talent at every other position but hers and whipped the team with superior talent.
    And in the post game interview looked like she had the energy to play 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Terry O'Keefe

UCONN/USC was another barn burner. Like the Iowa game it was tied at the half and like the Iowa game the team that won, UCONN, came out and took control and took the lead and never gave it up. JuJU had an excellent game but it was not enough.

UCONN/Iowa is interesting as Clark and Bueckers were top recruits in the same class with Bueckers being the one everybody thought would have the career Clark has had. Of course Clark has never been injured and Bueckers has battled some injuries after winning Nat'l PLayer of the Year as a freshman