College Basketball 2023-24

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Sounds like a similar situation to Texas last year, after the Longhorns parted with Chris Beard, Rodney Terry was given the interim tag and the assumption was there would be a search for a high profile and experienced HC. But he got the team on a run all the way to the elite 8, that handcuffed the AD. He had to hire him.

Not that he's done a bad job, but more than a few think he's in over his head. But all things considered they are stuck with him, for better or worse, till at least 2026.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

It's a tough spot for sure....if I were AD my bias would be to hire him. If they continue to outperform in the conference tourney, I'd sign him up albeit with a limited buyout and limited downside to the program. If they don't, I'd be more inclined to go after an established name. I like the guy, I'm hoping they continue to play well. In any event, he has made a name for himself and almost certain to be a head coach somewhere next year

3. Terry O'Keefe

Would be quite the plum to hire away Oats, You know Alabama has plenty of money if that's the factor.

4. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Guess I haven't been following close enough, that name was a surprise to me to be honest and don't know enough about him to have an opinion. Clearly he's done well at Bama. I'm 100% on the fence....I'll watch the conference tourney and if they continue to play well, Diebler will have earned the job, imo.

5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

There are always risks with any new hire. Re Oats a healthy buyout could cost us some serious money with no guarantees he would perform well here in Columbus, I am dead against Sean Miller, not mentioned here, Dusty May sounds good, but of Diebler does well in the Big Ten Tournament, a modest contract to start, would be wise and in Ohio States best interest.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorns go down in he B12 tourney to 10 seed KState. I'm not sure what this means to their NCAA Tournament situation.

I see that KU is losing to Cincy, as Self decided to sit several players to rest them for the Tourney.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Free Agency rules, Rick Neuheisel claims the NCAA is going to lose the lawsuit over this and college players are going to be able to move about unhindered by the old rules of sitting out a year.

On Wednesday, the NCAA said while it is not certain whether the preliminary injunction issued by the judge will remain in place during the 2024-25 season, athletes who transfer again during or after the current academic year won't be subject to the requirement that they sit out one year. However, transfer window notification rules must be followed.

The transfer window for men's and women's basketball runs from March 18 to May 1.

The NCAA also said athletes would "continue to be subject to all other existing eligibility legislation and to any eligibility standards required for competition that may be developed or modified for the 2024-25 academic year."

8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

And there is the final nail in the college sports coffin. We knew it was coming.
    True mercenary status achieved.
    :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Don Ballard

Great win for the Buckeyes this evening, over Iowa 90-78 in the Big Ten Tournament. Where this group of players were midseason is beyond me.?o_O

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don Ballard

Ohio State will face Illinois in the quarter finals at 6:30 on BTN. A tough draw, but the Illini are beatable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Guy got off to a good start, recruiting was great... but winning declined.

Juwan Howard was fired as Michigan's men's basketball coach, the school announced Friday, ending a five-year run in Ann Arbor for the former Fab Five member.

Michigan just completed one of its worst seasons in 60 years, finishing last in the Big Ten for the first time since 1966-67. The Wolverines lost their final nine games, including Wednesday's Big Ten tournament defeat to Penn State, to finish 8-24 overall and 3-17 in the league.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Off-topic. I read in the NYT that Sports Illustrated has told its employees that the last print publication will be in May. Sorry not sorry. I remember clearly when the first issue arrived in the summer of 1954. I was 10 years old.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Like most of you it was a staple of my youth, it was the early 60's when I was able to talk my dad into letting me subscribe, did so faithfully up through the early 2000's. After that between the internet and ESPN I no longer cared
    I continued to get it for free at the office. My staff (all women) objected to the swimsuit issue and would not put it in the waiting room.

14. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

After what SI did with the last few versions of it... can't believe anyone would want to see it.

I think back to what SI, and ESPN were... especially ESPN and it's really sad.
    That was absolute MUST SEE stuff for any sports fans.
    Sportscenter was greatness. Thursday college games.
    Chris Berman and his nick names for all the players never got old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I haven't watched ESPN regular programing for years, only specific sports events. Likely age-related.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah they went the "Inclusive" route. Plus size women, older women, etc. Not that there is anything wrong with that! :D

17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Scott, Less than 15 minutes after I read your post, I saw this on X:

Classics!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  18. Terry O'Keefe

Media speculation/rumours got Nate Oats a nice big payday!!

Nate Oats and Alabama have agreed a long-term contract extension that will make him one of the five highest-paid coaches in the country, sources told ESPN.

The deal, which was announced Friday, is set to go before the Board of Trustees for approval next week.

Since arriving in Tuscaloosa in 2019, Oats has led Alabama to two SEC regular-season championships and two SEC tournament titles. In his second season at the helm, the Crimson Tide won their first regular-season title since 2002, earning a 2-seed in the NCAA tournament and making a run to the Sweet 16.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Vols already lost, Kentucky on the ropes vs A*M. UNC in a battle with Pitt. Houston has blown a big lead and are only up 3 on Tech at the half. Purdue survived vs Mich State.

Been a good day so far, and we've still got a good Iowa State/Baylor match up in the B12.

20. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Impressive game by Ohio State. They should be in.