College Basketball 2022-23

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
  2. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Iowa coach Lisa Bluder, Matt Painter, Caitlin Clark (POY), Zach Edey (POY), Mackenzie Holmes (AA), Jackson-Davis (AA), Indiana coach Teri Moren at the Wooden Awards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

BTW that article Bobda posted on the Quinnipiac Hockey program was really good.

4. Terry O'Keefe

The portal is going crazy with way over a thousand players in both the men's and women's game. You'd think it would mainly be those who aren't starters. But Haley Van Lith a 3 year starter and an All American at Louisville is in the Portal. It's like that all over, starters who have played plenty of minutes and would be starters next year as well, looking around for something else. Maybe it's NIL money, maybe they want to upgrade the team they are on so they can win a Conference Championship, make at least a Sweet 16, be on a Nat'l Title Contender.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bobdawolverweasel

Quinnippiac > Big Ten. Gophers started off strong, led 2-0 in the second period and completely locked down Q’s offense. However, the older and stronger team eventually started physically wearing Minnesota down. Q narrowed the margin to 2-1 in the second period and totally dominated the 3rd period outshooting M 14-2 and tied the game in the closing minutes after pulling their goaltender.

They scored seconds into OT on a beautiful pass and goal. Incredible game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Everybody wants to see Caitlin Clark play in person.

So much so, in fact, that the University of Iowa had to pause ticket sales for the 2023-24 season, according to Chad Leistikow of the Des Moines Register, due to overwhelming demand.

No surprises there—Iowa already set a Big Ten women's basketball record with an average attendance of 11,143 fans per home game at the Carver-Hawkeye Arena this past season. Add in the star power of Clark and the team's run to the national championship game this past season, and Iowa is one of the hottest tickets in basketball.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Terry O'Keefe

An example of how NIL is impacting the Portal. It's not like this kid , Hunter Dickinson, would get more playing time somewhere else or play in a more high profile situation than at Michigan in the Big 10. He's looking to get paid.

According to Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio, the Kentucky Wildcats' prospects of landing Dickinson don't seem to strong at the moment. The main reason for their impending disappointment may be the lack of NIL guarantees they're willing to make.

"Hearing things aren't looking great for UK and Hunter Dickinson. Kentucky hasn’t given up but UK BB isn’t “guaranteeing” NIL money as other schools in the process are," Jones wrote.

Related video: Kentucky Derby Forecast (The Weather Chann

8. Terry O'Keefe

Dickinson has announced he will be a Jayhawk. KU will be really good again next year.

9. Bobdawolverweasel

Big loss for M but ( and I am in a very small minority of M fans) his demeanor on the court made him hard to like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

The death of college sports for me.
    I'm pretty sure this will be my last year of season tickets in Kyle Field. I haven't seen as much of this in baseball, so maybe I have a little more time there...

11. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

One and only trip to Bugaha!...Club AJ open 23 1/2 hrs

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I read about that just a few days ago. I wasn't aware until then that he has a reputation as a jerk on the court, which apparently is well-deserved.

13. Terry O'Keefe

Well I know all of you have been waiting with baited breath....

Four-star guard Bronny James, son of NBA superstar LeBron James, announced his commitment to USC on Saturday.

14. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Shocking! :rolleyes:

15. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Not NBA ready like pops?

17. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Pretty decent jeans though!;)

18. Terry O'Keefe

This is not mine, i copied it but I like what the guy has to say as to what the portal has become esp in basketball. Players are making Super Teams. While it still has to play out, it's hard to accept that basically LSU has acquired 2 All-American players who were starters with the focus of their former teams being on them and all the playing time they can handle. But they still left for a situation that gives them a better shot at winning a Nat'l Championship. FWIW HVL = Haley Van Lith Louisvilles top player and Morrow was Aneesha Morrow an AA at DePaul, great young player.

HVL and now Morrow - While this is fodder for speculation, consider what has changed: Whereas the transfer portal has been for the most part for players wanting additional playing time, damaged team issues etc., it has rarely been the realm of established stars and team centerpieces.

Something different is happening, and it's happening with scale. Please take no offense at this comment, but HVL and Morrow leaving their respective teams and coaches is to some degree akin to Olivia or Sonia leaving ND (or PB or Azzi leaving UConn).

I sympathize with the needs of players who think they may have made a mistake, want to place themselves in a better place for championship and financial considerations etc. I also sympathize with the investment schools have made in recruiting, educating, and coaching them.

Waiting for Congress, the NCAA, or each conference/state to come up with a solution is a likely waiting for Godot. Here's a proposal: 1 transfer within the first two injury-free years. Thereafter no transfers or transfers to a lower Division school. Thoughts?

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Do you think your proposal would stand up in court?

20. Terry O'Keefe

Probably not, the pendulum has shifted to the kids so much so that any effort to change things will be targeted as rich/evil/uncaring Billion Dollar institutions (NCAA, The Universities) wanting to take advantage of the kids. Forget that the system they come from in HS is much more restrictive and where they will be going is much more restrictive...the NCAA has turned into a wonderland for athletes, esp those who have real talent like the girls I mentioned.