College Basketball 2018-19

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

ACC with 3 #1 seeds!

2. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Stunned that MSU ties for first in conference play, wins the BTT, but ends up in Duke's bracket.

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Tom Izzo cannot believe that either. I think they really were screwed and I would be upset also if I were coaching. Bobda are you going to enter the Yahoo pick'em contest?

4. Bobdawolverweasel

Probably. Out of town now but hope to find a free moment to make my losing picks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

They must have done away with the rule that conference teams couldn't play each other until the regional semi-final. Michigan State could end up playing Minnesota in round 2.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah the positioning of MSU was discussed quite a bit by the "experts". I always thought the chairman of the committee gave an interview and answered as best he could the reasoning behind the placement of teams and the seeding. I haven't seen that reported just yet. Also MSU lost Ahrens for the rest of the season to an ankle injury in the championship game. They have factored in injuries in the past when seeding teams.

Longhorns loss to KU was the death knell for their NCAA bid and now they open up in the NIT as a 2 seed at home vs South Dakota State a good mid major team this year. They didn't play a schedule as tough as the Longhorns but they are still a good team and will likely come to Austin and play very well. What the Longhorns need to do is forget about the disappointment of the season and concentrate on winning the NIT.

I see that the boys in Vegas have made Duke the biggest favorite to win the NCAA tournament since that undefeated Kentucky team that had Karl Anthony Towns, Willie Cauley-Stein and the Harrison Twins amongst other stars. Of course Kentucky barely got by the Irish in the Elite 8 and then lost to Wisconsin in the Final Four.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Looks like Fred Hoiberg is taking the Neb job, that seems like an excellent hire for the Huskers. He did a good job at Iowa State before moving to the NBA and he was himself a very good player for a first the Legendary Johnny Orr and then Tim Floyd. But hey Neb is still in it for the NIT!! Wouldn't that be something if Neb went all the way and won the NIT and they haven't fired Miles yet! That'd be an interesting situation.

8. Bobdawolverweasel

Third straight Sweet 16 appearence for M and first time the program has had back-to-back 30 win seasons.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Big 10 having a good tournament so far.

10. Don Ballard

Purdue certainly smothered Nova!

11. Terry O'Keefe

I watched the 1st half of the Purdue/Nova game, Carsen Edwards was just unconscious from the 3pt line. Nova never knew what hit them.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Holy.sh It Duke in a last second win.

13. Terry O'Keefe

College coaching carousel will be starting soon for basketball. Alabama is looking, and they said on ESPNU that the Iowa State coach is an Alabama alum and they are going after him. On the ladies side there are constant rumors that Holly Warlick of Tenn might be fired soon, and that Jeff Walz the Louisiville coach will get a huge payday to take that job.

Pretty quiet around College Station regarding that coaching search. So I think that could mean that they are after someone who is still coaching in the Sweet 16, Buzz Williams.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  14. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Miles just took a bullet....too bad......great guy with a great attitude....sad he couldn't make a run at it.....but it is basketball in Nebraska......Hoiberg?!!

15. Terry O'Keefe

Alabama hired Nate Oats the Buffalo HC, Buffalo was his first HC job and he did a bang up job there..but now it's a step up...looks like a good hire, but then we Longhorns thought we'd hired a great coach in Shaka Smart who'd taken VCU to a Final Four. You never know.

I wonder if Thad Matta will ever coach again? While things didn't end well for him at Ohio State, he had a good run early on there and did very well at Xavier. I seem to remember he might have had some health issues when he left Ohio State, I wonder if he's healthy now.

16. Don Ballard

Terry, Thad has had back problems for years. I can not believe he will ever want to or be able to coach again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Power 5 schools looking, include UCLA which has had a ton of time to survey the field and narrow down their list of candidates. Neb which is widely reported to have Fred Hoiberg on line 1, Arkansas, likely LSU, and Texas A&M who is balls to the wall after Buzz Williams.

Sitting there is Kelvin Sampson, who has resurrected his career at Houston after a successful career that was marred with NCAA problems. He says he loves it at Houston, he has a renovated arena and facilities that are very nice, he has a major donor in Tillman Fretita who wants him there, and frankly there is a lot of basketball talent for him to recruit with in 100 miles of Houston. But will he stay or will a big time program lure him away with more money and a bigger stage?

Wash State is the only Power 5 school to have hired it's new coach, Kyle Smith the coach at San Francisco.

Of course there is always a cascade effect from each hiring. Who will be the next Va.Tech coach?

18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

They just announced Hoiberg....reportedly bringing some assistant coach from st. John's with him?...Abiduslsmhama lana?

Weather is starting to look pretty good in the Vatican...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bobdawolverweasel

Nice time to be a Husker fan as the combo of Frost and Hoiberg is pretty elite.

• Like Like x 1
  20. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

I hope so Bobda....I'm ready to fire my TarHeels anyway...