College Baseball 2024

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

RIP Wayne Graham. What he did at Rice was remarkable, they haven't been the same since he left.

[​IMG]

Wayne Graham, the architect of Rice's rise to the top of the college baseball world, passed away in Austin, Texas on Tuesday night at 88.

Graham compiled a 1,173–528–2 record in 27 seasons at Rice, taking over a program in 1992 that had never won a conference championship in its previous 79 years and turning it into a perennial conference champion that became a fixture at the top of the national rankings and a familiar name in the field of the College World Series each June.

"What Coach Graham accomplished during his time at Rice is truly remarkable," Rice Vice President and Director of Athletics Tommy McClelland said. "He built a program that served as the envy of college baseball for nearly three decades. I am grateful I was able to spend time with him last fall and thank him for all he had done for Rice baseball and our University. He set the standard for excellence within our athletics programs and his legacy will never be forgotten," McClelland added.

Legendary Coach Wayne Graham Passes Away - Rice University Athletics

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

He sure could assemble a pitching staff.
    I know his name came up more than a few times when we were looking around for possible new leaders for our program...

• Agree Agree x 1