Colin Powell

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Bear with me...

My name is Tod and I'm a news-a-holic. In fact I've been an information junkie for as long as I can remember. How many guys do you know who have over 8 million points on that NTN Trivia game you see in the sports bars?

My family room has four TV's. One big screen and three 29" jobbies. I have a 7 foot satellite dish and 110 channel cable. I have the NFL Sunday ticket and watch three games plus a rotator every Sunday (the rotator being the one I change all the time). I rarely leave my house except to go to work (I need money for beer, greens fees and bird food) or sports events. I have become, for lack of a better word....a GEEK!

For the past five days I've had all the TV's on plus the one in my van plus the 3 inch color portable I carry in my shoulder bag. I have one on CNN, one on MSNBC, one on the Fox News Channel and the big screen is the rotator between the other networks plus C-Span. I've seen everything...100 times+.

Through all this tragedy and drama, this endless and sometimes mindless and trivial, rumor laden, over covered, talking head blur
    there are two things that I'm going to come away with...

One is a sense of wonderment that Peter Jennings can wear a shirt for 15 straight hours and it still looks like he just put it on.

The other is an absolute certainty that Colin Powell will be our next president.
    The dude is STONE COLD COOL!!!! (Sorry)....

Having been in the media all my working life I look and listen differently than the average person. It's almost like I can't help doing a running critique of everything I watch or listen to. There's something that a media consultant I worked with once called a "WOW" factor. It's like you watch someone on TV or hear someone speak and you sort of mutter to yourself, "Wow!". Michael Jordan was the "WOW" factor in basketball. Colin Powell has it for a politician.

When he stands at a podium and speaks he absolutely exudes authority. He is totally in command of those in the room and in the audience. He's articulate, confident, absolutely oozes charisma and has 110% credibility. The more I see him the more I'm impressed with him. I truly think he's the most charismatic public figure since JFK. There are a lot of public figures who are smooth and articuate and have an air of self assuredness (Dick Clark is one of the best I ever met) but Powell has something beyond that. To me (the great cynic)he comes across as absolutely genuine and as bright as he appears to be. He gives the impression of being in complete control.

If he guides this country through this crisis and achieves the desired result he earns a blank check for any office he chooses in this country. I never would have thought we would have a black president in my lifetime but I would not bet against this guy.

Well....You KNEW the first black president wasn't gonna look like Al Sharpton.

BTW...A friend of mine who's a sports scribe for the Pawtucket Register in R.I. says that since there's no football betting this weekend that the Mob will have bin Laden in cement shoes by early next week and it ain't gonna cost no 40 billion either! You don't be messin with the Godfather's paycheck.

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Tod, I believe that Colin Powell could win and perhaps win big. However so far he and his family have not wanted to hit the campaign trail. I believe he could have been the VP now if he had been willing to campaign. I also think that if he wants to be the VP next time it could well happen. Chaney has a lot to offer but his health remains an issue. Powell is indeed impressive and I think that whether or not he achieves the Presidency will have more to do with his overcoming the reluctance he has had to run.

---------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Bill

3. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Damn todj I thought I was bad but just realized that I'm just a fledgling novice compared to you.

I agree with you on Powell because I thought the exact same thing during one of his briefings the other day.But like Bill said, he does not have the interest to be president...Maybe one day.For sure he is an inspiration to all those who want to be leaders.

Bill

No offense but your smiley face flag man reminds me of the old hippie days.... [​IMG]

RC

4. m-gobluegal

m-gobluegal New Member

Todd,
    I think you're a nice "geek" [​IMG] I like reading your post's and you're very informed. I also think Colin Powell would make a wonderful president. I was hoping he'd run in the last election. No matter what party he would go with, I'd vote for him in a hot minute!

Cindy

5. BUGEATER

BUGEATER New Member

Tod:

That was 'Post of the Year' stuff, Man. 'Single' is good for your writing.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Tod,

For what it's worth....

I think Powell could have stomped the proverbial mud hole in the asses of both Bush and Gore and then walked it dry..

I think he honestly realizes that the cross that will be carried by the first black President will be too great... Besides when the fit hits the shan, everyone runs to put him in charge anyways...

All in all, I would like to see what he is capable of...

I would love to see how Jesse Jackson would go about approaching him...

BTW, if we put "Delta" force on one side, and the Gambino crime family on the other... Who do you think would get to bin Laden first?

[This message has been edited by Corey (edited 09-15-2001).]

7. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

Took 8 Years for me to agree with Mr Tod..but indeed I too operate with 3 TVs and and a radio and yes I would cast my vote for Colin for the next President of the USA.( with or without JOEPA as running mate) jif

8. Gator Bill

RC, I think I will try this one for a bit.

[​IMG]

Bill

9. Vol Jeff

Vol Jeff New Member

Colin Powell is simply one of the most impressive individuals our Country has to offer, regardless of his skin color.

------------------
    America will not only survive but will thrive!

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

RE Powell
    Years ago on a trip to Ga. my wife and I listened to him narrate his autobiography on tape. I felt now as I do then every schoolchild in the US should hear the story of his life and learn from it. He is just one great American.
    As Thomas Sowell wrote this morning he has to stop referring to this event as a tragedy. It was an OUTRAGE!!!

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

And while we're acknowledging those that have come to the front and been true leaders, I've got to give Rudy Guiliani top marks. What a job he's done in NYC. Too bad he's been term limited out and had to give up his Senatorial bid.

12. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

There's talk about postponing the mayoral election in NYC at least six months, possibly a year. People want Rudy at the helm, term limits be damned. He has health issues but I doubt he would refuse this request.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Mike,

You know..... I was thinking the same thing the other day... Could this guy be "Mayor for Life"?? [​IMG] One thing is for sure, the people of NY will be mighty sad when his day is up...

14. Gator Bill

If he hadn't gotten prostrate cancer he might have been a senator from New York right now.

[​IMG]

Bill

15. CDAY

CDAY New Member

Tod,
    I just heard on the Short-Wave Radio that Al Sharpton has read your comments about his presidential chances and has decided to join a gym. At last he is trying to expand his intellectual capacities.

As for listening to Powell. I am just very thankful that I am a citizen in his country.