Coaching moves

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by kp, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Terry, I have no idea what is transpiring here at the moment. Coach Meyer has indicated Day turned down several offers and wanted to remain on the coaching staff here. He is currently making $800,000 per year and in line for a raise with his new responsibilities. I understand he will be coaching the QBs as well.

Maybe Stu can fill in more of the story?

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Whoa! Let's slow down with the conspiracy theories. These are grown men who understand their responsibilities to one another. Nothing would surprise me, but I question that Kelly would make that kind of move without at least notifying Swarbrick.

The Bears announced the new hire on Jan. 8, over 2 weeks ago. The news of Kelly's interview - if it happened - is just coming out today. Like I said earlier, let's wait and see what happens before overthinking what possibly might have taken place.

Stay cool, guys. The truth eventually will come forth.

P.S. After reading George's post, I went to the Irish Illustrated home page. There was a reference to the article describing the interview. When I read the short version (I'm a non-subscriber), the writer said something that made me skeptical of his or his source's credibility. He said that he had been told by a source that Kelly was looking for "a way out". Huh? C'mon! I just went back to the site, and there is nothing at all relating to the interview.

P.P.S. Don, you do realize that you are poking the bear, aka George, aka the Godfather. Do so at your own risk. :wink:

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The "Don" of Ohio gets my respect. He may be the only guy on here who wakes up before me. The rest of you guys... fuggedaboutit !

All I'm saying is that things are unsettled in South Bend. In addition to the usual early attrition of players going to the NFL, we have lost the D-Coodinator, the O-Line coach and four players who were kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons. There have been rumors about the O-Coordinator interviewing elsewhere and now this Kelly story.

4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Kelly's old buddy, Jeff Quinn is the new OL coach. He's got a lot of history with Kelly and has been and Offensive Asst, or whatever you call those guys who don't coach but analyze stuff in the backroom, at ND for 3 years.

I'm disappointed, I don't know Quinn enough to make a real judgement on how this will work out of course, but I sure would have liked to have given the guy from BC a try.

Also I wonder if this has neutred Chip Long. Kelly and Quinn have a long history and they both know the Kelly offense very well of course. So I have to wonder how those offensive game plan meetings will go, 2 on 1?

6. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:(

we're sinking...

7. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

ND

<t>Quinn??? What the hell is going on here? That's not good in my opinion, not good at all!</t>

8. Tim Gentry

ND

<r>I guess this means we're done recruiting OLs for this class for sure. If we had a chance of adding another 4 or 5 star OL to this class(which we did) this sure as the hell puts an end to that. <br/>
    <br/>
    Honestly, if he were a good DIV1 college OL coach he would have been employed somewhere as an OC in the past three years. <br/>
    <br/>
    We already know that Kelly picking coaching staff members from his previous stops just hasn't seem to work. <E>:evil:</E></r>

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Here we go again. It’s becoming an annual tradition. The Skybox ND members’ offseason meltdown. :roll:

10. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Would you be shocked if I told you that:

1. Quinn was suppose to be ND's OL coach from the very beginning, but he took the head job at Buffalo instead.
    2. Quinn was a finalist for the Broyles award the last time he was an assistant coach?

11. Tim Gentry

ND

<r><QUOTE><s>
    </e></QUOTE>

I hear what your saying Terry but I don't feel any better......</r>

12. IrishCorey

that was actually me, but I'm just not hitting the pants shitting button yet. The guy may be the real deal. We'll see.

13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I am a bit confused by the recent promotion of Ryan Day to offensive coordinator with the Buckeyes by Urban Meyer. He is not listed as a co-coordinator and supposedly will be calling the plays. This does not make any sense unless Meyer is unhappy with Wilson? The few games we have lost in the last couple of years boiled down to poor playcalling in my opinion.

A local poll this morning seems o have confused fans as well. Basically, the poll results were let's wait and see. I fall into that category as well.

14. Tim Gentry

Notre Dame

<r>Sorry, Terry/Corey...<br/>
    <br/>
    I didn't have my reading glasses on when I read the post last night(yes I'm getting old). <br/>
    <br/>
    Anyway, after a night's sleep...I'm still not happy about this OL coach situation!!<br/>
    <E>:x</E></r>

15. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

What concerns me at ND is the timing of all this. This team is ready to challenge for the top prize and all this is occurring . Are these assts leaving because Kelly is looking.

16. Tim Gentry

Notre Dame

<t>George,<br/>
    <br/>
    That’s the other thing about this. Before the news about Quinn comes out I see a unconfirmed report that Kelly May have interviewed for the HC position with the Chicago Bears! WHAT?!? If so It’s the last straw with me on Kelly. We’ve been down this road before. It doesn’t end up being good for ND.<br/>
    Does the man want his job or not? If not then get out and ND can find someone who WANTS to be there. We all know it’s not an easy HC position and it’s probably unique in many ways compared to other major division 1 programs that can make it much harder to be successful. We get it. If he feels he is not up to it or he can’t be successful any more then leave, please leave. But as George mentioned the timing on all of this is horrible. Just horrible.</t>

17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Tim I think that the "unconfirmed report" came from someone who had faulty information. I think it went something like this
    Leaker: Psst, source, a Notre Dame coach was interviewing for a job with the Bears.
    Source to "blogger" Psst: THE ND coach was interviewing for the Bears job.
    Blogger: THERE'S AN UNCONFIRMED REPORT THAT BRIAN KELLY INTERVIEWED WITH THE BEARS.

The real news was an ND coach Hiestand interviewed with the Bears.

18. IrishCorey

I refuse to pout about any of this. I just want to beat Michigan's ass.

19. Tim Gentry

ND

<t>Well I haven't heard anymore on the Kelly to NFL coaching job so maybe it's the "Fake News" getting into college football like they do with Trump. I'm hoping Gipper is right on this.<br/>
    <br/>
    Oh believe me Corey, I don't want to pout about this stuff either. I want to and definitely believe that come September, the Irish are going to do some serious Michigan butt kicking.</t>

20. Tim Gentry

ND

<r>Quinn video:<br/>
    <br/>
    Well he appears to be serious about coaching the OL at ND. First time I've heard him speak. <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <URL url="https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/5322/video-my-goal-every-day-is-to-teach-train-develop-recruit-and-motivate"><LINK_TEXT text="https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/5322/vid ... d-motivate">https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/5322/video-my-goal-every-day-is-to-teach-train-develop-recruit-and-motivate</LINK_TEXT></URL></r>