Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 19, 2018.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

the 'hot' rumor in Auburn circles is Bob Stoops. I should also mention that Auburn fans are delusional. Tommy Tubesteak put them in their place yesterday saying that 'Stoops left a better job than Auburn, why would he come back and take this one?'

Bielema is a good coach, but he really ran Arkansas into the ground. I just don't see that as a smart move. They have a fantastic QB on his way to Auburn by the name of Bo Nix (his dad played there if the name sounds familiar). They are loaded with young RB talent. What they need is an OL... that is right up Bielema's alley, but I still don't see them making that move.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Paul Johnson has retired at Ga. Tech. That's a good, not great, job. They should get some interest from rising young coaches. It'll be a rough transition though from a roster bult for the option to a roster needed to run some version of the modern spread style offenses. But Georgia is a fertile recruiting ground so there is a lot of talent within a couple hundred miles of Atlanta.

Stoops. No way would he be looking to go to Auburn. I seriously doubt he'll ever coach again. I think the fire is gone.

Fat Bret. I couldn't see a top program esp an SEC program giving him a shot, but I could see a MAC program taking him on, he knows the area from a recruiting standpoint and maintained a winning program at Wisconsin without a lot of 4 star talent.

3. Terry O'Keefe

One of the ND sites had a blurb that Chip Long was offered the Central Michigan job but turned it down.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Ga. Tech job has a lot of potential. Fertile recruiting area, urban campus, and a great media center.

Auburn's boosters should scare off any great.candidates. I mean who gives their coach a $50 million dollar contract and wants to fire that coach one season later. They've done this before...and they'll do it.again.

5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Looks like Brohm is staying at Purdue! He has notified Louisville that he is happy and wants to stay at Purdue! The search goes on.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Good news for the Boilermakers.

7. IrishCorey

I'm glad that Brohm is staying at Purdue. Good for them.

GTech is historically not a bad program. Just like everyone, the right coach can do a lot of damage down there. KP's right about the upsell for GTech in recruiting. If the new coach can nab one of the great young QBs coming out of the South (or Alabama for that matter) this year, then he could do some winning next season. They'll just switch from the triple option to the RPO. That's not that big of a stretch.

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, I think the biggest challenge for the next Ga. Tech coach will be getting the right kind of offensive linemen. I think they will have to get bigger.

9. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/11/28/jeff-brohm-turned-down-louisville-because-he-can-win-purdue/2144386002/

10. Terry O'Keefe

I see some in Louisville didn't take it very well and Brohm's old HS, Trinity Catholic, had to be closed due to a bomb threat.

Being in the Big 10 West, Purdue has a good chance to become a divisional champ, they can compete with the teams in the west with a good coach like Brohm. Also Purdue is investing in the program as noted in that link that Stu posted.

Currently Brohm has a top 25 recruiting class, right there with Neb and Wisconsin.

Also I see that Mack Brown is getting the band back together again. He's hired Tim Brewster away from Texas A*M, Brewster was his top recruiter when he was at UNC back in the day.

11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I saw a report that Brewster still has a house in NC and is going home.
    He did well for us and we wish him good luck.

12. IrishCorey

two things are gonna happen.

Either Mack is gonna flop horribly trying to relive the glory days, OR he's going to become an annual 10 game bridesmaid once again. The only difference will be that it's Clemson now instead of FSU.

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Corey, true but that's the best UNC has ever been in football.

14. Terry O'Keefe

My guess is that Mack will be the ultimate CEO coach.

The success will be dependent on his staff almost 100%. I'm sure he'll be good at the recruiting angle, he's always been well liked by High School coaches, and while it's been a long time since he's worked the Mid Atlantic, he probably is still remembered by the veteran HS coaches and they will introduce him to the new guys.

With Saban you know he's a Defensive guy, and with Jimbo you know he's an offensive guy. With Mack you know he's a guy who smiles a lot and shakes hands very well and when he's got good players and staff he does well.

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

From B/R:

16. Terry O'Keefe

Mack is added another old friend, Greg Robinson who was on his staff before he went to Syracuse as the HC, will be the Co-DCoord ...he's older than Mack.

They will need oxygen tanks for the coaching staff more than the players at UNC next year! :)

17. Terry O'Keefe

If KK goes to USC, then they will be the 2nd Air Raid school in the Pac12. All RB's on the West Coast who thought they would go to USC and become AA RB's must now find another school....maybe Notre Dame! :)

18. IrishCorey

USC will never want for RBs. I'm more concerned about all of those great QBs and WRs out there that they can sell KK's offense to come recruiting season.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Since they have always gotten top QB's and WR's ...KK being there won't change anything, they'll still get them. But if I'm a top RB I'm not too interested in a Air Raid offense.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Some fans are unhappy with Charlie Strong at USF.

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2018/11/23/18100289/so-could-usf-football-fire-charlie-strong-if-they-wanted-to