Coaching carousel now picks up speed...

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

So who is the girl and what is her alleged relationship to the rumors around Harsin?

Also in a somewhat startlingly development.

Miami has finalized a deal to hire Michigan's Josh Gattis as its new offensive coordinator, sources told ESPN. As the Wolverines' offensive coordinator in 2021, Gattis won the Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant and is regarded as one of the country's rising coaching prospects.

Bob are UM fans surprised?

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Supposedly the girl is his PA and she came with him from Boise, and the rumor is that she is a "VERY" personal assistant.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

I think most were surprised. Based on the following text he sent after leaving, it sounds as if he anticipated being the HC if H left but was told otherwise by the administration. Ugly divorce and the next question will players or staff follow him to the U.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Wow Bob, that is not a good thing.
    Do you suppose the whole staff got a trim when H's contract was reworked last year, and it's part of the issue?

5. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

I do not think the staff had their salaries reduced. Supposedly, he was upset last year when our DC was hired at a salary higher than his. Also nearly all of the staff were not appraised by H about his NFL job hunt and only found out about his staying via social media so lot of noses bent out of joint. H could have used the off season to build upon the momentum created by the 2021 season. Instead, he created chaos. So not surprising if some of the staff might start looking for a new work environment not led by the March Hare.

B841A057-641A-4B0C-A893-590F30D1110E.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Terry O'Keefe

I see that the Auburn/Byron Harsin deal is getting serious. Investigations are starting and his future is in question. No mention though of exactly what they are investigating

Auburn University acknowledged Monday that the school is making expanded inquiries into the tenure of football coach Bryan Harsin.

In a statement that doesn't mention Harsin by name, the university said it is "collecting information from a variety of perspectives, including our student-athletes."

This extends the awkward limbo of Harsin's future at Auburn, three days after the outgoing school president, Jay Gogue, acknowledged the school was preparing to make the "appropriate decision" on Harsin's future.

Auburn expanding inquiry into Harsin's first year

7. Terry O'Keefe

It appears now that Harsin will be retained. Football Scoop speculated that they couldn't find/dig up enough dirt to fire him for cause, and working back channels couldn't find a coach who would come that would be worth paying Harsin 20M because they couldn't fire him for cause.

This comment was true, the guy is now in a no win situation it would seem

And so now Harsin returns after a 6-7 season, with no offensive coordinator, with his preferred defensive coordinator now working at Oklahoma State on a pay cut, with the No. 8 recruiting class in the SEC, and with a fan base and administration that is lukewarm on him, at best.

Good luck circling those wagons, Tigers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

What a hot mess. :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Looks like Harbaugh has been doing the right things. Contract extension and a raise.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Wow, who's his agent Charlie Weis?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

In one of the more interesting twists on the coaching front it the hiring of Art Briles to be the Grambling OCoord. He's been away from football at this level for a while now, can he recreate the magic he had at Baylor when things got rolling for him? He did coach HS football in East Texas for a couple of years, but that's not the same.

Speaking to KTAL-TV in Shreveport, Louisiana, on Thursday, Briles was asked what he plans to do differently at Grambling State.

"I'll do exactly what I'm required to do and what they expect of me, which is to be a very solid citizen, to be a positive leader on a day in and day out basis, to do everything I can do to protect our students and our student-athletes on campus and to represent the Grambling University to the best of my ability because I'm very humble and grateful to be at this university," he said.

Scott told ESPN in a phone interview Thursday that he spent about 10 days researching Briles before formally supporting Jackson's decision to hire him. He said Jackson has autonomy to bring forward coaching candidates, and Scott vetted Briles after Jackson suggested him.

12. Terry O'Keefe

Briles stepped aside, too much negativity surrounding his hire.