Coaching carousel now picks up speed...

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So, with Riley moving west we'll surely see even more dominoes fall.
    It seems impossible that Fickle will stay at Cincinnati, and I wouldn't be surprised to see OU make a run at him. They had to be totally caught with their pants down on this move.

Woodward is going to have a super hard time making a bigger hire than USC at L$U.
    I have to wonder if it's taking so long there because someone already stole his "splash" hire he is so renowned for?

Early signing day is a little more than 2 weeks out. Not much time for a new coach to even meet the current recruits, much less gather any new ones...

So who's next??

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well Scott.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

As I said in another topic, I wonder when Riley would have announced his move to USC. This had to have been in the works for quite a while. This didn't just come together over the weekend.

What if OU had won out and due to losses in front of them jumped over Notre Dame (likely) into an open 4th CFP slot. I can't imagine him leaving that OU team if they were in the CFP. You can't tell your CFP bound team that you are leaving them, even if you say you'll stay and coach them through the playoffs.

I don't know of course what Fickell will do, it does seem like he's good at Cincy for now. But even if he's wanting to move up, he's doing the right thing by keeping all that talk tamped down and just focusing on the team's push to the playoffs. 1 more game and he's in. All the speculation I have read is that he's a "midwest" guy and would like to take the ND job when Kelly retires or the Ohio State job if Day were to leave for the NFL.

4. Terry O'Keefe

David Cutliffe is out at Duke. He did a great job there, but the last couple of years were his worst. He says he's keeping his options open. He was a terrific OCoord, somebody would do well to add him to their staff as the OCoord. I doubt he's going to get another HC job.

Sonny Dykes is going to TCU, no big surprise there, except I'm thinking his 4 game losing streak to end the year isn't a good look for him and creating excitement about taking the TCU job.

I saw that OU wants to talk to Kliff Kingsbury, but with that young team he's got now out in Phoenix I can't imagine why he would be interested in leaving for OU or any place.

ESPNU guys pointed out that Riley's best year was the 1st year when Bob Stoops left him a team loaded with stars on offense, that since the further he gets from Stoops players the worse his record has been. Of course he's still had a very good record overall. But this year he looked pretty mortal, he had 2 Heisman level QB's who were very inconsistent.

5. Terry O'Keefe

Riley taking some Sooner coaches with him, including Alex Grinch the DCoord. He's not exactly transformed the OU defense, but he had some good defenses while at Wash State so I guess Riley figures he knows the Pac12 and will be able to do even better with the talent he can get at USC.

6. Terry O'Keefe

OU is getting a number of their highly ranked recruits backing out now that Riley is leaving. They had a 5 star QB from So. Cal back out yesterday, a 5 star RB, and a couple of other highly rated kids. You can bet they will end up at USC.

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind CutCliffe coming to Tuscaloosa.

8. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

My son and I were sitting around the fire yesterday. About three beers in we started discussing Marcus Freeman. We think the two biggest differences in this team are depth and Freeman and possibly not in that order. The ND defense is championship quality and Freeman is also a great recruiter. In other words, we don't want to lose this guy and he is going to be coveted by others. There are already rumors about Ryan Day going to the Bears and that could be a problem. I hope the Irish are paying him well and and I hope Kelly has expressed a succession plan and that Freeman is in it. Somebody tell me something reassuring because at the six beer mark we started panicking !

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I hear ya kp.
    If Jimbo decided to release control of the offense, I'd love for Cutcliffe to take over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

Cut is 67 years old, I wonder how he fits in todays world with regards to recruiting and relating to the 5 star and high 4 star players that Alabama and A&M are bringing in to the program. In the past he certainly had no problems with that talent at Ole Miss and at Tenn though. Does he have the fire to be in a high end recruiting situation like the top programs have going these days.

11. kp

kp Well-Known Member

That I don't know.

12. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Read a post on the IE boards that theorized that if OK hired the wrong coach just as they were entering the SEC, they'd end up as another Nebraska. Don't tell AJ.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I heard both Rattler and Williams are.planning to transfer.

14. Terry O'Keefe

Rattler I was expecting, but Williams I would think he'd wait till he see's what OU brings in to be the HC before he bails. They have already lost their 5* QB from this years class he bailed as soon as Riley announced for USC. Behind Rattler and Williams were 2 walk-ons, one of them is my nephew the other one is another walk-on from North Texas, both of whom are freshmen.

They would have to hit the transfer portal pretty hard to get somebody.

Dillon Gabriel a pretty good college QB for UCF is in the Portal, rumors are that he's close with the Ole Miss OCoord and could end up there, or even follow him if he takes the job Billy Napier just left.

15. Terry O'Keefe

LSU reportedly has an offer of a zillion dollars for Brian Kelly. I can't see Kelly at LSU, and truthfully if he's really thinking about retiring when his contract is up after the 2024 season I don't know why he'd leave the Irish. I know money talks but he's made a lot of money at ND and is bound to be in a place where he'll have a very comfortable retirement. He's not a "beloved" coach like Lou was or Ara but still he's a good fit for the Irish and I think he'd be a bad fit at LSU.

FootballScoop: Breaking down the latest at LSU, where one of college football's stars is a target

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Kiffin would probably be good.fit at LSU. I don't know if he is.interested or not

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Things are really out of control ...

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

How ugly are you if you have to pay the girl to kiss you?

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Holy cow! Now all he has to do is lose.a.lot.of games and get.fired. He'll have it made

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

With all of the openings, Rich Rodriguez is going to Jacksonville St.

• Like Like x 1