Coaching Carousel 2020.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

We've already filled the South Carolina job with first time HC Shane Beamer, the son of HOF coach Frank Beamer. He'd been on the South Carolina staff early in his career and was well liked and supposedly was a good recruiter. He's currently on the OU staff but has never been the OCoord. He's currently the Asst HC for Offense and TE coach while OU has Co-OCoord.

But there are other jobs open, here's an update on the Vanderbilt job.

Update: Vandy has search firm, interviews ongoing for HC job
    By John Brice - December 8, 2020
    Share Tweet

Vanderbilt University did not play a football game last week, but it has moved forward in its search for the program’s next football coach.

First-year Commodores athletics director Candice Story Lee announced Nov. 29 that school had dismissed head coach Derek Mason amidst a winless season and a 3-17 mark since the start of the 2019 season.

Multiple sources told FootballScoop.com that Vanderbilt’s vacancy has drawn significant interest from both the collegiate and professional levels, with former NFL head coaches Jeff Fisher and Bill O’Brien said to have expressed their interest in the job.

Vanderbilt has retained Parker Executive Search to coordinate its efforts to find its next head coach, and the school has begun the interview process.

Per sources with direct knowledge, Vanderbilt on Sunday interviewed Notre Dame defensive coordinator and former Commodores player Clark Lea for its opening. The school also has already discussed the opening and made plans to discuss the vacancy with Coastal Carolina’s Jamey Chadwell, Charlotte’s Will Healy and Army’s Jeff Monken. Alabama running backs coach Charles Huff and a list of others have expressed interest in the job, sources told FootballScoop.com.

Buffalo coach Lance Leipold is another name to monitor who is believed to have interest in the vacancy, per sources. Leipold has Buffalo undefeated amidst this shortened season, and the Bulls have clinched a berth in the Mid-American Conference Championship on Dec. 18. A six-time national champion coach atop Wisconsin-Whitewater, including three-straight from 2009-11, at the NCAA D-III level, Leipold has guided Buffalo to a 25-9 mark in its last 34 games, including multiple berths in the MAC title bout and the school’s first-ever bowl win last season against Healy’s Charlotte squad.

2. Terry O'Keefe

The Texas job is still like a game of Musical Chairs, we don't know if when the next chair is removed that Tom Herman will be able to get a seat.

3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Makes for a very awkward situation for all of the individuals involved.:(

4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Might be a little awkward on the recruiting trail too! :eek:

5. Terry O'Keefe

With the early signing date approaching, they either need to cut Herman loose or give him a vote of confidence.

6. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Scott88

Tom Herman walking campus:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorns are 6-3 and in the top 20 of the CFP. The 3 losses are OT vs OU, 2 points to TCU when the RB fumbled on the goaline for the go ahead score and the 3 point loss to now #7 Iowa State. If the KU game gets played they will most likely win and win by a big margin and finish maybe as high a #15.

It will seem very odd to fire a coach after that, but bottom line is expectations. Plus even with a good record the team just hasn't seemed well coached during his time at Texas. He's had superior talent to most other teams in the B12 and should have done better. He's sort of like Earl Bruce at Ohio State who had a good record but couldn't beat Michigan, and was fired.

If they elect to bring him back it will be an uncomfortable off season for Longhorn fans and the program. He's already gotten a contract extension (2023) so I don't imagine that vote of confidence will include another contract extension unless the language of the extension says if we fire you we don't owe you any money!!

9. Terry O'Keefe

One thing about hiring coaches who are doing very well at lower ranked schools, whether it be Coastal Carolina, Univ of Louisiana, App State, etc is that most of these guys want to bring a lot of their staff with them. Those are the guys they worked with to build their record and they all think it's just football but at a higher level these guys can move up with me, we'll all continue to work together and we'll be successful. I don't want to have to build a new staff. Buttttttttttttttttt as a poster on another board said.

5. The Staff That Got You Here Won't Keep You Here.

The staff that got you the big job isn't the one that will enable you to keep it.

This isn't the first time I've written that and I suspect it won't be the last.

Most rising head coaches struggle with that because they lack perspective, misplace loyalty, and they suffer from Midas Touch syndrome. "Of course I have the best staff. It got me the Texas job, millions of dollars, and this awesome house. I can do no wrong!" It's a good athletic director's job to create perspective and expectations around this. This is an easy concept to evaluate and explicitly address in an interview scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, I get all of that but I still don't understand the exorbitant buyouts. Did UT let Herman bring all of his assistants and give him a $15M or $20 payout as well? Without conditions? Oh by the way if what I heard about Harbaugh's extension are true, (reduced salary, reduced buyout, and performance standards) then I understand more of why they would offer it. Maybe Hermann gets a similar offer?

11. Terry O'Keefe

kp I agree, coaches having huge buyouts is just not a good thing. In a case like Herman that buyout gives his family protection while he's looking for a new job. But in this case it could result in him having to stay around for another year, when fans want him gone, his bosses want him gone, and everybody knows he's a dead man walking, that can't be a comfortable feeling.

12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Well his family is certainly protected.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Reading that some serious things are going on at LSU, anyone else hearing anything?

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It's ok, Bill, they put a self-imposed post-season bowl ban on themselves so that should be enough.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

a

There have been accusations of sexual assualt by a former player that was known about and ignored/covered up by staff but that's not new news. What have you heard Bill?

16. Gator Bill

For sure, bowl banning when they are likely to have a losing season is certainly strong punishment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gator Bill

Not much Terry but apparently their basketball program is suspect also.

18. Scott88

So you're saying L$U might have done some shady things?
    I would never believe it...
    Might want to look at how many other families are currently on the payroll...

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Terry O'Keefe

If you can believe it, Texas Tech is reportedly kicking the Tires on Art Briles. A group of boosters have said that they would cover the 9M buyout of current coach Matt Wells.

20. Scott88

If the BigXII allows that...
    Wow.

• Agree Agree x 2