Championship Week - College Football 2023.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 28, 2023.

1. kp

kp Well-Known Member

My granddaughter has a class with Jalen Milroe and another class with Malachi Moore. She says Milroe is a really nice guy.

2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I bet he is not as nice as your granddaughter;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

IU has hired Curt Cignetti, the HC at James Madison.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

That is very true. Actually I was just adding as an response to George's comment about classroom time

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I believe the word for this is pandering.

"Sports Illustrated magazine has recognized Deion Sanders as its “Sportsperson of the Year” after his first year as head coach of the Colorado Buffaloes football program, despite having one of the worst records in college football.

Sanders was hailed as the great new thing in football when his team won a few games early out of the box. But the Buffaloes then foundered and won only one game out of their last nine. The team ended the season with a 4-8 record, ended up in last place in the Pac-12, didn’t beat a single team with a winning record, and didn’t even have enough wins to be invited to a bowl game."

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

A couple of thoughts.

1. If Oregon wins and Bo Nix has a good game he wins the Heisman. I personally like Jayden Daniels but he's not playing this weekend , big advantage to Bo.

2. If one or more of the undefeated teams loses this weekend and opens a slot, Texas needs to have a big win over Oklahoma State, Sark if the situation presents itself needs to go for style points, all gas no brakes.

7. Terry O'Keefe

No shock with this report.

But once again, Harbaugh and NFL rumors are flaring up, and two NFC teams are reportedly interested.

The Athletic's Dianna Russini said on "The Herd" that the Carolina Panthers and the Chicago Bears have their eyes on Harbaugh.

"[Panthers owner David] Tepper and Harbaugh had conversations last year. It obviously didn’t pan out, but this was something that they discussed. So, that’s a name I’m hearing again," Russini said.

"The Chicago Bears are another organization I have heard has had some conversations about that, depending on what decision they make with this coaching staff that is in place and, of course, what they do with that quarterback situation."

8. Terry O'Keefe

I guess the Washington Huskies didn't get the memo that they were 10 point under dogs! They have dominated the 1st qtr. and lead 10 - 0

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Terry O'Keefe

Washington dominated the 1st half and leads 20-10, Ducks got a late score aided by a very questionable PI call in the red zone. Do they even consider "uncatchable" anymore? The ball was clearly uncatchable and I don't think the Washington DB interfered the way things are called these days.

Michael Penix looks very sharp, Bo Nix looks un-Heismanlike!

10. Terry O'Keefe

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Well Oregon has come roaring back and now leads 24-20 pretty much on the play of Bo Nix's Heisman like playing this half.

12. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

PAC 12 is going out with a bang. This championship game is an incredible back and forth drama.​

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Great game, another 3 point win by the Huskies. 13-0 Huskies are in the CFP.

14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

When Oregon roared back to take the lead and Penix threw a pick on the next possession, I thought Washington was going to implode. They didn’t. Great season for Washington who definitely earned their playoff berth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Looks like one spot absolutely locked down in the playoffs. Michigan and FSU are heavy favorites. Unless Georgia implodes I think they win today. They have too many weapons on offense. Alabama has saved its best games for the ranked teams we have played so there is that, but if Georgia doesn't turn the ball over, a lot, I think they win. I think Saban has maybe had his biggest test of his coaching career this season. I honestly didn't think we would be here after the Texas game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Lincoln Riley has hired away the UCLA DCoord (D'Anton Lynn), doubling his salary to 2M/year.

UCLA boasted one of the most improved defenses in the nation, jumping from 72nd to eighth in yards per play, from 90th to 16th in scoring, from 36th to second in rushing, and from 97th to 24th in passing efficiency.

Also nobody knows who will start at QB for FSU tonight, the backup to Travis Jordan is in the concussion protocol and is a game time decision. The 3rd string guy, Brock Glenn, might be the guy. Anybody remember the last time this sort of thing happened? Cardale Jones come to mind?

17. Terry O'Keefe

It's been rumored for a few weeks and it seems like the rumor might be true. Texas QB, Quin Ewers, will return for the 2024 season. No doubt a bit of a shock to his backup Malik Murphy and for sure to Arch Manning. How this will all shake out will certainly be interesting. The Longhorns don't have a big name QB in the 2024 class. It's local Houston kid, Trey Owens, who is nationally ranked as the #24 QB and a 3 star. He had a very good senior year though and his team went deep in the playoffs.

I certainly could see Malik Murphy hitting the portal, Arch Manning who knows?

18. Terry O'Keefe

Texas offense has 3 possessions and 3 scores. Oklahoma State starting to move the ball some and are down 21-7 at the end of the 1st qtr.

Longhorns need to put up 60!

19. Terry O'Keefe

35=14 Longhorns at the half. Now is where this season the Longhorns have failed to put their opponent away, today they need to continue to push and as I said we need style points.

A bit of trivia the Longhorns won their 1st B12 Championship game and the first B12 Championship game ever in an upset over Nebraska. Now should we continue to lead we will leave winning our last B12 Championship game ever.

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, hopefully Texas doesn't get too many of its starters hurt in the quest for 60.

• Agree Agree x 1