Champ is coming outta the Pac-10

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by AirZona, Jan 26, 2008.

1. AirZona

AirZona New Member

NCAA mens' basketball champ is coming out of the Pac-10 this year. Fran Fraschilla called the Pac-10 the deepest conference the other night. It will be difficult only limiting the Pac-10 to only 6 teams this year when you've got Arizona, ASU, UCLA, Washington State, Oregon, USC, Stanford all deserving and all having been in the top 25 this season. The unfortunate part to the depth in the Pac-10 is we are all gonna beat up on each other and be docked for it coming bracket time by the east coast bias that favors the ACC, Big East, etc. For instanc this week alone UCLA squeaks by Oregon and AZ upsets WSU and the biggest game on the east is Vitale's beloved tar heels getting beat by Maryland, where if UNC was in the Pac-10 they would already have atleast 2-3 losses. Instead of rewarding our strength we'll get hammered come selection time...just wait and see!

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The great thing about college basketball is the tournament. The PAC10 will at least get their best 5 or so in and then they have their chance to prove they belong. The ACC has been in the position of beating up on each other for awhile, but fortunately with 65 teams getting in and the way the selection process goes they have been pretty successful as has the Big East. You're right though this year the ACC doesn't seem quite as strong as in the past so it may be the PAC 10's year.

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I agree, that's the great thing about the tournament. Good conferences where there is a lot of parity at the top don't knock each other out. Years ago when their was only 16 teams in the tournament and the ACC was the only team with a post season tournament they had a number of years where the best team in the confernce all year got knocked off in the tournament and didn't get a chance in the NCAA's and would have to go to the NIT.

Of course now the complaint is seeding and where you are sent. But you are in and it it's your year all you have to do is win out! :)

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Is there a limit of six teams from a conference?

It does sound like there will be a lot of competition between the teams before the season ends. Enjoy the ride.

I love the Big Dance also, in particular the last two years. :twisted: :twisted:

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I don't think so, Bill, but you can check me on that. I'm not certain, but I seem to recall as much as 7 teams from strong conferences in some years.

6. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

There is no written limit. The Big East has gotten 8 and even 9 teams in past years if I remember correctly.

The Committee is looking for suitable teams, not what conference they are in. If 6 or even 7 from the PAC look good, they will get in.
    The problem, as AirZona said is after conference play it's tough to have that many look good because they've spent two months beating up on each other.
    Somebody has to lose a few...