Baseball back in the swing

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Guest, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

As evidenced by the Bosox suspension of Carl Everett....maybe Carl should be sent to Kabul to negotiate with the Tailiban.

Also I have to wonder how all this has effected the tight races. I read that because of the rest he got that the DBacks will get an extra start out of Curt Shilling and I know the Astro's now are figuring an extra start out of rookie phenom Roy Oswalt. All the managers have had time to set up their pitching rotations for the final days of the season. Have some teams benefited more than others?

Terry

2. wzt

wzt New Member

The Cubs lost a 6 day home stand with the cellar-dwellers of their division. Some good play there might have moved them back up in the race, as well as some much needed confidence after their bad streak.

Now they have 3 away series in a row against those same two teams plus Houston. On the flip side, the 4 game home series with Houston after that will not be the last of the season. Now we can end with the big home stand.

It is nice that the pitching has all gotten a good rest. That's what has carried the Cubs this far and it's also what had been starting to fall apart. I see that Baylor is starting over at the top of the rotation. If anyone can start a winning streak, it's Lieber.

On the bright side for all of baseball . . . every team in the majors reached a big preseason goal . . . they're playing ball in October!

Wendy

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Wendy... LOL... that's great..

I'm no Yankee fan by a long stretch but I am waiting with great anticipation to see the Bombers return home to the Bronx.

I've long believed that the "best" fans in baseball belong to the New York Yankees and St Louis Cardinals.. Cub and BoSox fans win my "diehard" award, but the fans of the Yanks and Cards live and breath the very pulse of the game. They are a part of the action.

4. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Besides the fact that the Yankees are playing great baseball and have four solid starters and the premier closer in the game, what are the odds of anyone beating them in the playoffs with the emotional surge they will get from this tragedy. They will be carrying the hopes of the people of New York with them. In spite of Seattle's great season I don't see anyone staying with the Bombers this year.

5. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

george...my sports world has vanished from inside me..its like a huge vacuum has sucked me dry of interest in any sport..but I agree with you due to the situation and the emotion of the situation Yanks could breeze through the entire playoffs. jif

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I hadn't thought of the emotional side of the issue...but wouldn't it be possible that the Yankee's will be the most distracted team in the playoffs?

Also somebody pointed out that they might play the A's in the opening series and that the A's have a couple of Yankee killer pitchers...UPSET?

Terry

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Terry,

the A's have a young team that pushed it to the limit last season. They almost did it, this year I think they are closer but could still come up short...

If any team in baseball will drop the Yankees, IMHO, it will likely be the A's.

8. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Terry:
    Picture this. Fire fighters, victims families, Mayor Giuliani, military personnel at all Yankee home games through the playoffs. Robert Merrill singing the national anthem. Signs and flags everywhere.
    This is New York. IMHO, they are unbeatable at this point.

9. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Active Member

The AL looks set. I don't see the Twins and certainly not the ImploSox doing anything at this point. I hope to god Everett has played his last game in a Red Sox uniform.

Still some good races in the NL. Gary Sheffield appears to be picking up the Everett baton, and with Brown shut down I expect the Dodgers will do the same. Giants still have a good shot at a post season.

I'm going to Giants @ Dodgers tonight, then Padres @ Rockies on Thursday, and that will probably be it for the season.

Rick

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I haven't watched a lot of baseball since the Pirate's heydays with Clemente, Stargell, et al but I fell in love with Wrigley Field and Harry Carey a long time ago. Of course Harry is gone (but his restaurant lives on) but I still manage to get into the cheap seats at Wrigley every year or so.

I also enjoy watching Bonds go for another unassailable record. Too bad he's such a dick.

11. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Active Member

I don't want to see Bonds set the single season HR record, but for me it's more a matter of color.

I just couldn't stand knowing that some maroon and gold moron from ASU holds such a prestigious record. An ex-Trog pitcher I can handle better, for some reason.

Rick