Are you ready for some NASCAR?!?!

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Tennessee Tom, Feb 19, 2006.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

Bill:

Gordon is a great driver and really drove well yesterday considering he was missing 3rd gear completely for 2/3 of the race. BUt read Stewart's bio again. Nobody can drive the variety of cars he can at the level he can drive them.

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

George, ok Stewart can drive a lot of different type cars and I'll give you that.

However I still think Gordon is the best NASar driver.

And I still don't like the way Tony Stewart handled himself yesterday and think NASCAR should take more action than bumping him to the rear of the pack.

Gator Bill

3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Anybody concerned about the cheat'n reputation that Jimmie Johnson and his crew chief have with regards to setting up their cars? Ryan Newman was pretty pissed off at the situation.

4. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

George,

I totally agree with Bill. Tony is a great driver. There is nobody here denying that. As for driving all those different vehicles, that is the norm, except for Indy, for anyone coming up through the ranks since the early 90’s. Before that point, there were no real opportunities for kids to develop in racing.

Nationwide organized go-cart racing was not available to the NASCAR legends. They made their way into the sport at the age of 16 with a jalopy they would to tow the local ¼ mile oval to compete with other local drivers. The ones that were successful there would try to break into the Late Model Sportsman division. The successful drivers in that division might try to make it into Grand National (what later became known as Winston Cup, now Nextel cup). This climb was slow because there were no “teams” then. You had to make it with your equipment.

Today, there are many avenues for young kids to start go-cart racing as early as 6 years old. By the time they are 16, they could have 10 years of racing experience. At every level of racing, there are teams looking for talented drivers to pull up to the next level.

I am not knocking Stewart for having the advantages that his predecessors didn’t have. Would he have been able to attain the same accomplishments as he has if he was born 30 years earlier? Who knows. I am knocking Stewart because of his maturity level.

Everyone remembers Kellen Winslow Jr. He was a great player who happened to be overshadowed by his mouth. I equate Stewart to Winslow. He is a great driver that currently is being overshadowed by putting his mouth in gear before engaging his mind.

5. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

hasn't he won the Nextel Cup two of the last four years? Not bad for a guy who is all mouth like Winslow.... 8)

6. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

George,

As I stated before:
    I would rather back a second place mature adult than a blue ribbon crying baby. He was adamant about NASCAR doing something about these aggressive drivers before someone gets killed. That, actually, was a good thing if he had followed through with it and maintained his cool on the track. Rather than being a solution to the problem, he became the problem.

If you want to drive that way, be smart enough to not speak out against your own driving style!

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

And Gordon won once in the last four years and finished second another time. That along with his prior record still leaves him as the best in my book.

And I agree with Tom. What Steward did coming across the track to knock Kenseth into the grass intentionally was inexcusable. He should not have been put to the end of the pack, he should have been put out of the race and suspended.

That car came across the track just missing a number of cars. There could have been more than one injury and even fatality. And from a guy who says he's concerned about safety.

Bulls### Tony keep it up and you will kill someone.

Gator Bill

8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I just saw the replay of the Kenseth wreck for the first time last night. What is Stewart thinking? It's as if he is on a mission to be thought of as the bad boy of NASCAR, not even mindful of the danger connected with his actions. That kind of thinking likely will blow up in his face before the dust settles, hopefully before someone is seriously hurt.