23/24 Bowl Games

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Don Ballard, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

My take; true freshman qb playing in his first game. Missing 2 experienced RBs and best WR. No first string reps w the OL. Everybody’s got to be on the same page in terms of recognizing blitzes and picking them up. Primary respsonsibility is on the QB but then everyone else needs to respond properly to his calls. Just wasn’t gonna happen tonight but it’s not necessarily ALL on the OL.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Terry, offensive line wa practically rebuilt, which was inexperienced and as Stu said their first time playing together for the first time.

3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

The timing of the transfer portal opening has to change and I’m not sure I would want the opt-outs on the sideline. The USC qb had his jersey hanging around his neck the other night. He couldn’t even put it all the way on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

For some reason, the Carson Hinzman who started every game this year at center didn't see the field but was not listed on the injury report. Starting RG moved to C - his first game all year at C - and backup RG stepped in to fill his spot. I have no idea why they went this route but it was clear to me early there were communication issues as Stu suggested. Not gonna 2nd guess Day but for whatever reason they made the change, they did not play well, even before Devin went down.

That one was a stinker...haven't had one of those in a while. F'ugly.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Do you Buckeyes think you are OK with the current QB room going into 2024?

6. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so. I sure don't see Dwayne Haskins, Justin Fields, CJ Stroud or even Kyle McCord (thanks a helluva lot Kyle!!!) coming through the door. Not sure we really know what we've got....Devin Brown, the heir apparent is still an unknown commodity. Last night was supposed to be his coming out party, but he really didn't get much of an opportunity given his early injury. Lincoln Kienholz, the true FR was clearly not ready and overmatched when playing behind an ineffective, makeshi(f)t OL. Both highly regarded, strong arm, athletic but not enough snaps on game film nor experience to evaluate. We have another QB coming early in this class, 5* Air Noland, who is supposed to compete for the starting job, but a first year FR QB is really, really tough. If I'm Day, I'm gonna try and see if I can't convince the two remaining portal QB's Ward or Howard to come in and compete. There will be no guarantees, see Kyle McCord, but there is a whole lot of upside if they win get the job.

7. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

A late Christmas gift from the Maryland and the Big Ten Kp. Maryland is smothering Auburn:)

8. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Oh darn!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Kentucky and Ole Miss offer some redemption.

10. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Georgia and FSU are disappointed about not making the playoffs. Georgia has no one opt out. FSU loses at least 8 starters just quit. I wonder what the difference is?

11. Terry O'Keefe

Was Brock Bowers injured? He played in the SEC Champ game didn't he? He was on the sideline but no pads. But the point is valid, UGA had it's players finish the season. Sort of like Bryce Young and Anderson both top 5 NFL picks playing in the Cotton Bowl last year.

I personally don't care for it, but it's so common now days that it's hard to hate the players. Our OL of Joe Alt ( consensus AA, and 1st round pick) and his mate on the other side of the line Blake Fisher, not to mention a bunch of other players including AA RB Audric Estime deciding to opt out. They were captains, but not interested in finishing off the season. I get it that injuries are a concern. ND LB Jaylon Sneed was injured in the Fiesta Bowl vs Ohio State and it cost him a 1st round slot, he did get drafted and played well enough to get a good 2nd contract that if he's been good with his money should mean that he never has to work again. But I don't think he was ever the same player.

12. Terry O'Keefe

According to this article FSU had 19 players out of the lineup and Georgia had more than I thought.

Unlike the Seminoles, the Georgia Bulldogs will have their starting backfield in tack for the Orange Bowl. However, star tight end Brock Bowers, who led the team in receiving yards, receptions, and touchdowns, will not dress as he prepares for the NFL draft. Star offensive lineman Amarius Mims will also opt out of his team’s bowl game against the Florida State Seminoles.

The transfer portal has also taken talent from the Bulldogs, albeit mainly backup and rotation pieces. Backup quarterback Brock Vandagriff, linebackers Marvin Jones Jr., C.J. Madden, Darris Smith, Xavian Sorey Jr., and Jamon Dumas-Johnson, and defensive back Nyland Green, among others, have entered the transfer portal. Dumas-Johnson and Jones Jr. are the most significant losses, combining for 22.5 TFLs and 11.5 sacks during their time with the Bulldogs.

TRENDING: Nearly 40 Players Opting Out Of Orange Bowl; Transfer Portal And NFL Prep Robbing Fans Of Electric Bowl Game Between Georgia Bulldogs And Florida State Seminoles - REPORT - Gridiron Heroics

13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Jaylon Smith

14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Well, I imagine the outrage over FSU not making the playoffs has evaporated.

Also OSU & Penn State getting dog walked makes me a little nervous although non playoff bowl games are a different animal than the playoffs due to all the opt outs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Post game comments on Ole Miss/PSU.
    PSU was also missing both coordinators.

Question: Is Jaxson Dart coming back next year? Also I keep reading that Ole Miss has the #1 portal class coming in and they expect to be really good. SEC with Texas and OU coming in as well as the growth of the Missouri program along with LSU it's going to be a very tough conference.

Missing starters

Each team had top defensive ends, Cedric Johnson for Ole Miss and Chop Robinson for Penn State, opt out to prepare for the draft. The Nittany Lions also were missing their usual starting cornerbacks, Johnny Dixon and Kalen King.

"When you watch their game plan, they went after some guys that had not played a lot for us this year," Franklin said.

Said Kiffin: "They pay us a lot of money as coaches, so I would think we wouldn't be really good coaches if we didn't realize that and obviously go in and attack where they're missing guys."

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bowers was a question mark all week. He played in the SECC. game but was not 100%. I think his decision was based on his injury When I said Georgia had no one opt out I meant any starters. I guess I missed Mims. Transfer portal is a different issue. As an example Buchner is still with the team and been practicing all month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Speaking of Bowers, I got a chance to watch him a couple of times this year and he's a hell of a TE. Going back to our discussion last year about him and Meyer. Completely overlooked was Sam LaPorta out of Iowa who's rewriting the NFL record books for rookie TEs. I guess when you play as a receiver in the Iowa offense, no one notices you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1