14th Amendment

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by BuckeyeT, Aug 25, 2023.

1. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Yep, here we are. The things we were warned about and forecasted.

2. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Sid, on the anniversary I watched it again, I hadn't watched since that day when I saw it live. I was stunned at the time, now in hindsight saddened at the lost opportunity that was available to him/them just as the Founders had intended. I truly believe that he and everyone of the rational actors that remain in the Republican Senate believe likewise.

He was there. He knew the lies that fueled the assault on our Capitol, he saw her defenders brutalized - several of whom are no longer with us, one of whom according to Capitol Police officially died in the line of duty - he watched as a column of men in tactical gear equipped with restraints hunted down the Speaker and the Vice President was ushered to safety by armed Secret Service agents as the mob chanted death threats. He told the world that he saw an "outgoing president who seemed determined to either overturn the voters' decision or else torch our institutions on the way out." What he didn't know at the time, that has been evidenced since is that those efforts to overturn the voters decision were much deeper and more comprehensive than the violence and delay tactics employed on that day.

On that day, he found it correctly for what it was. What he didn't find was the courage to lead. He allowed his partisan political calculus to come before his duty. He was the senior-most Republican member of the legislative branch of Government. Had he exhibited the courage to lead and displayed the leadership that he had been entrusted with by the Senate and by extension we, the people and whipped the votes accordingly, we would have avoided this long national nightmare that is only certain to get worse in the upcoming months and , God help us, perhaps years. There is no doubt in my mind that in hindsight, he and every one of the rational actors that remain in the Republican Party realize the terrible mistake that they made on that day by not convicting a guilty man for crimes against the people which they very clearly knew he was responsible for committing.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2024