14th Amendment

Discussion in 'Political Discussions' started by BuckeyeT, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Judicial activism is in the eyes of the beholder.

Rulings on this issue in Colorado, Minnesota, and Michigan are all over the map. What puzzles me is why/how the Colorado State Courts are ruling on the intent/meaning of the US Constitution. This certainly belongs where it is going...to SCOTUS.

2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I must have missed it when he was convicted of insurrection. Or in Colorado do courts rely on the "guilty until proven innocent" legal theory?
    And the present administration continues it's crusade to "save our Democracy" by trying to imprison their political opponents and interfere with elections by using selective courts.

3. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I've gotta laugh whenever anyone calls Jan 6 an insurrection.
    Tresspassing? I suppose those people weren't cleared to be there so yeah.
    Destruction of some property (windows and a flag stand or two)? yeah.
    Violent uprising against the Government? Um... no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

I’m no big fan of Mr. Trump. Nor is George Will. But I agree with his take on this insurrection nonsense (see my earlier link)

“People advocating a 14th Amendment solution to the problem of Trump are spreading the acids of cynicism and suspicion that are corroding trust in institutions. And some states’ election officials — watch Colorado — are apt to seize this occasion for grandstanding, trying to keep Trump’s name off their ballots. This will thicken his armor of martyrdom.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BuckeyeT

meh...it's all semantics as far as I'm concerned. I'm much more focused on behaviors and intent than labels. Multiple courts, multiple juries in multiple jurisdictions have found that the behaviors he and his associates engaged in were consistent with the elements defined by the law as sedition and insurrection and there will be more to follow. His attorneys had more than ample time to show otherwise and they could not. I don't give a flip what you call it so long as he's held accountable for his pissing on the rule of law, attempted overthrow of the legitimately elected government and betrayal of the people.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If you have some free time T, you might want to help OJ look for the real killers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. BuckeyeT

lol...my guess is that if the LA DA had a prosecution witness list as extensive and robust as those aligned against the disgraced ex-President and/or had OJ's alleged crimes been committed on national TV and recorded for all the world to see and hear, there may have been a different outcome. I could be wrong but I don't think so, sometimes common sense and decency does prevail

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Most legal experts believe that if the LA prosecutor had brought the case in Santa Monica where the crime occurred rather than downtown LA, the verdict would have been different. Similarly, all those courts and juries you refer to are all in heavily Democratic areas where politics tends to overshadow justice.

• Creative Creative x 1
  10. BuckeyeT

Sounds like wise counsel to any future insurrectionists. If you're gonna organize and try to lead a fifth-column in a clumsy and ill-conceived coup d'etat for all the world to see and hear, better to ensure your activities are limited to non-Democratic areas where politics does not overshadow justice, so that way no matter how compelling the evidence and testimony is against you, there would be no chance of an indictment much less conviction. I think I get it, it's only justice when the other guys get caught

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I heard a commercial for Trump Trading cards, voiced by Trump himself. It was so bad, most respectable hucksters would cringe. I can't imagine this guy even getting one vote, what next that Pillow guy is his VP?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. BuckeyeT

The VP choice is going to be one to watch. I gotta believe the Pillow Guy is gonna be pretty busy defending himself against a couple $Billion$ worth of defamation suits from Dominion and Smartmatic and he's still gotta find the $5 million to pony up to the guy who proved that his election fraud digital "evidence" was nonsense. That apparently hasn't stopped him from launching a new venture "peddling an election machine 'security' device". I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want an "election machine security device" from the Pillow Guy?

MyPillow's Mike Lindell is peddling an election machine 'security' device. But voting officials aren't biting

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  13. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Donald Trump will be the 47th President of the United States.

14. BuckeyeT

You very well could be right Husker if, and only if, the good favor of the Court is on his side. If that is the case, his former Chief of Staff, General John F. Kelly (retired), US Marine Corps is in a much better position and experience to articulate it than I.... “There is nothing more that can be said. God help us.”

‘God help us’: John Kelly rounds on former boss Trump

15. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

You've quoted that before...when gas was 2.19 and milk and eggs were staples, and not luxuries. Oh yeah, don't forget about the wood chips.

16. BuckeyeT

Of course I quoted it before....and I'm likely to quote it again. Here we have a great public servant, a man of great character who served his country honorably and distinguished himself in uniform as a great military leader, as a senior Cabinet member as Director of Homeland Security and selected as White House Chief of Staff in hopes of bringing some degree of stability to a chaotic White House. By all accounts - but one - a great man, a patriot to his core who spent a lifetime developing leaders of great character and judging those whose character falls short of the mark. As Chief of Staff, there are few if any in a better position to judge and educate us as to character, intent and activity of the disgraced ex-President. General Kelly tells us that the ex-President is “a person that thinks those who defend their country in uniform, or are shot down or seriously wounded in combat, or spend years being tortured as prisoners of war are all ‘suckers’ because ‘there is nothing in it for them’. His assessment of the ex-President as "a person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our constitution, and the rule of law" and “A person that has no idea what America stands for and has no idea what America is all about." is one that every American needs to read and appreciate the source and it's meaning before walking into any voting booth.

Now about the gas, eggs, milk, etc.....I think we're gonna need to go to the replay booth - attached below. I referenced General Kelly's comments on October 4th. The price of gas is now in fact materially lower, the price of milk modestly lower and the price of a carton of eggs looks to be a few pennies higher. In the meantime, never before have more people been employed, producing more goods and services in the history of this great country and the stock market is at all-time highs, up 14% since Kelly's comments.

That said, we do have a fiscal budget problem that is presently yielding unsustainable deficit financing. But let's not forget that no president in the history of the US oversaw greater budget deficits or was responsible for the issuance of more government debt than the disgraced ex-President. Husker, I love ya brother, but if there is enough people in this great country that have convinced themselves to disregard the cautions of General Kelly and the crimes against the people that have been evidenced for a few pennies for a carton of eggs, then "God help us".

I never cease to be amazed by how the extremists on both sides believe that somehow the incessant ranting of that which is demonstrably untrue will magically make them true or by the same token that which is evidenced as truth will suddenly become "fake news". In the meantime, Maine says hello and Happy New Year....

US All Grades All Formulations Gas Price
    https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media/RetailMilkPrices.pdf
    Average Price: Eggs, Grade A, Large (Cost per Dozen) in U.S. City Average

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

It was a reposting of an old article...those comments by Kelly are years old. Just the media doing their thing.

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

T you repeatedly bring up the government expenditures during the Trump administration. Apparently you conviently forget that the country was in the throes of an unprescidented pandemic. Hundreds of billions were spent on hospitalization costs, vaccine development and most of all trying to keep American families afloat when the jobs of so many were lost by lockdowns imposed by governors (mostly Democratic.) The pursestrings during the pandemic were in the hands of the Democratic House.
    As for Kelly he is a great American. It's too bad he lost his chief of staff job after he was set up by the bastards working for Comey in the FBI who purposfully entrapped him.

19. BuckeyeT

Not this one....Kelly's on the record statements were issued after Trump suggested in late September 2023 that the actions of General Milley were punishable by death. In fact, Kelly references those comments in his statement to CNN. Said Kelly, "A person who cavalierly suggests that a selfless warrior who has served his country for 40 years in peacetime and war should lose his life for treason – in expectation that someone will take action. A person who admires autocrats and murderous dictators. A person that has nothing but contempt for our democratic institutions, our Constitution, and the rule of law." There may have been other statements by Kelly, but those that I referenced in the earlier post above were quoted from his "God help us" statement of early October 2023.

20. BuckeyeT

Gip, I think you're getting your General's confused, it was Michael Flynn, who was Trump's National Security Advisor for all of 3 weeks before he resigned and subsequently pleaded guilty to felony charges. Kelly bailed when he clearly recognized the madness, chaos and incompetence within and he could no longer keep the train on the tracks nor any semblance of order. I agree, he was a great American, he was set up by nobody, he resigned on his own terms. My guess is the last straw for General Kelly was the Helsinki debacle in July 2018 wherein Trump did his best effort to publicly fellate the Russian KGB thug Putin in front of the assembled world press while throwing the entirety the US intelligence establishment under the bus. Kelly resigned in December

I'm happy to discuss the effectiveness of the Trump-led federal response to the pandemic and the economic fallout, but Trump had already amassed $2.5 Trillion in deficits before there was a coronavirus. His 3 year accumulation of public indebtedness prior to Covid was greater than all his predecessors outside of the Great Financial Crisis. The notion that Trump was a great steward of fiscal discipline is one of those things that won't become true no matter how much one wants to believe it or verbalize the untruth. The facts tell us other wise....

How Much Damage Did Trump Cause in Helsinki?

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2023