Zook Article

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Stu Ryckman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That's a nice article. I don't have a problem with him voting for FL under those unique circumstances.

As much as Meyer in a pc kind of comment deflects credit to Zook for his recruiting, my opinion is that by far the major factor in a team's success or failure is coaching, and coaching alone. Look at the first & second year success stories going all the way back to Ara in 1964. All those coaches were working with someone else's recruits who were not successful on the field under the former coaches. Some ND fans criticize Willingham's years by claiming that he was a lazy recruiter, but others qualify Weis' success by saying that he is doing it with Willingham recruits. Of course, some also say he is doing it despite TW's recruits.

I guess the bottom line for me has always been that recruiting, while very important, is overrated. Not irrelevant.....just overrated as a major factor in a team's success or lack thereof. It's coaching that influences the play on the field and that ultimately makes the difference.

Sid the Talking Head

3. PJMIII

PJMIII New Member

I agree with you Sid. I've always thought that recruiting was a little overrated. Its important but they still have to be coached well to win.

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

While recruiting is over rated I think it is much more important than some of you are saying here. You can have the best coach in college, and without good players he is not going to win.

Recruiting has taken on a life of its own in recent years and in many aspects is over rated. However getting top notch players is very important so recruiting is very important.

In my humble opinion of course.