Your next Notre Dame AA

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by George Krebs, May 22, 2008.

1. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

verbaled today. There is nobody on ND right now at LB that can play with this kid.

May 22, 2008
    Carlo Calabrese Commits

ILB prospect Carlo Calabrese Carlo Calabrese is Irish. The linebacker from Verona (NJ) High School ended his recruitment rather abruptly, but his reason for doing so is as simple as it is obvious. He knows where he wants to spend the four years of college following his graduation next May.

Tonight, he committed to Notre Dame after having informed Charlie Weis and the Irish staff of his choice.

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

The kid already has the size to play MLB and stuff the run. Plus with Tenuta on board evaluating the prospects at LB I have confidence that this kid will fit his system and be able to succeed. Tenuata did more with less at Ga.Tech. I know that he's not a big off campus recruiter and BS artist like Corwin Brown but he's bound to be great in the film room evaluating prospects. So this is a good pickup.

According to Coach Driskell, a writer on IrishEyes, his only weakness will be his speed and range in pass coverage. But that he can compensate with superior instincts and play recognition. As a tackler ...
    The only thing that worries me is that he's another Joisey kid :wink: :wink: :wink:

3. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

Krebsie. This CARLO CALABRESE kid..could WE use him at all?? He already has the name, and coming from NJ and stuff.... :?: :?:

4. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

Recruit

<r>Nice catch for the Irish! <E>:D</E></r>

5. George Krebs

I am good friends and business associate with his father. I saw the kid at a talent combine at Rutgers two weeks ago. He has plenty of speed for MLB. He was wreaking havoc on the field in 7 on 7 drills and nobody was wearing pads. Somebody forgot to tell Carlo.

I don't mean to put undo pressue on him but he reminds you of a diamond in the rough version of Dick Butkus. When he makes contact all forward momentum ceases immediately. Anthony Fasano was key to his recruitment, as was Weis and especially Jon Tenuta, who told him he could play right now ( he's a HS junior ). His dad shared most of the emails he got over the entire process from CW, Tenuta, Latina, Brown etc. Great stuff.

You put this guy behind a decent nose tackle and you are looking at the second coming of James Laurenitis, only bigger and stronger, in time.

JIF, they live in Verona, the home of the fictional T. Soprano. We'll meet with them at Satriales. We can use them in our business. 8)

[​IMG]

6. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

George...

<t>Thanks for the info on this kid. Great looking athlete and prospect to continue the buildup of talent for Weis and company.<br/>
    So he lives TS country uh, wow.<br/>
    <br/>
    Keep us up on how he does his senior year.</t>

7. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to digest the fact that his dad is George's "good friend" and "business associate", which means he is part of the family. I know that Jif is the consigliere, so I wonder what his position might be. 8)

With all due respect, Godfather, I hope he is not ND's "next" AA. I hope there are one or two in the next couple of years before Carlo makes his mark.

8. George Krebs

I hope I'm wrong about that AA statement too, Sid. Now, never ask me about my business again. Never. 8)

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Yes sir. Sorry, sir. :oops:

10. Terry O'Keefe

Krebs do you know anything about Glen Carson (LB) from Manahawkin NJ??

11. George Krebs

A little. Manahawkin is a beach town about 35 miles south of here. He plays for Southern Regional HS. Its a big school but not particularly noteworthy for its football. It is primarily known for its wrestling program. He is highly regarded in the state but does not play the level of competition that Carlo plays.

12. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

You triggered my long term memory. I attended Bishop Eustace Prep in Pennsauken through my junior year, after which my family moved to Indianapolis. We played Manahawkin at home in our second game of the 1960 football season. It was my first game starting at TB. Although we lost by a very close score, I had a great game and won the starting position over a senior. My memory is a bit fuzzy on the details, but I think I had 375 yards and scored 6 TDs. :wink: :wink:

13. Terry O'Keefe

I'll have what Sid's having!!! :)

14. George Krebs

Yes, Sid is correct. His 6 TDs are still the New Jersey schoolboy standard, known affectionately in these parts as the "Baker's half dozen".

Many a coach has shouted at his RBs in practice, "If you want to be the man, you have to beat the Baker".

Here's an old photo from the Pennsauken (NJ) Herald....
    [​IMG]

15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I've tried to be humble all these years, but George has let the cat out of the bag. What can I say? I coulda been a contenda.

......and the fish that got away was THIS big! :lol:

16. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

:shock: Wow Sidney..I am impressed ..old number 44! ( Did they retire your number when you moved west?) :twisted:

17. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Run, Sidney, Run!

18. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

... and I was 16 months old while getting to 3rd base with my teenage baby sitter! :shock: 8)

Oh crap, I'm sure Cindy will have something to say about this! :?

19. Terry O'Keefe

I don't want to hear about how she powdered your behind!! That would be too much information!! :)

20. Terry O'Keefe

Well we picked up another LB, this time got one out of Ohio. John Fox from St. Ignatius in Cleveland. A lot of great players have come out of there over the years, I hope with Robbie Paris and now Fox that we are back in the fight for those kids.

Also it's getting down to the end for Tenn OL Alex Bullard. He's going to announce on Friday and most feel it will either be Tenn or ND. And since he just got back from a ND visit and reportedly his parents are both hoping he'l go to ND ...it'll be ND on Friday!!