You guys in Florida still above water?

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Scott88, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Just saw that Hermine became a hurricane over night.
    Damned thing was just barely a Tstorm last time I looked.

Hope you guys are all dry and safe.

2. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Thank you for asking Scott its appreciated...

No issues in SW Florida outside of rain from the bands from the TS Storm today. Son in Gainesville lost power for a few hours and and prepared to head home (with girlfriend intact) If necessary...It was not required

Brother in Monticello Florida experienced the eye of the storm shortly after it hit land. He lost power at 11 last night and called this morning to check in but has not been heard since. Since he is pretty much at the end of the power grid he may not see power for some time...it took us 13 days with Charlie before getting electricity...

Some areas in Tampa received 22 inches of rain in two days from the news reports...That much rain is never a good mix..

Sigh...Just another rain event with wind that is hyped by the media. Problem is 200,000 people per year move into Florida and have no idea how deal with a storm or prepare..Trick is depend on yourself and nobody else, once that's figured out it's easy..We need to realize in America that we need to realize on ourselves and nobody else..It would reduce many more protest..

3. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe it when I heard it's been 11 years since a hurricane hit Florida. Doesn't seem that long.

4. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/weather/weather-photos.html

There was also a wind event for many as shown by all of the downed trees in the photos. I have many huge oaks around my condo and Thursday night was a little nerve wracking.

Keeping our power after it went off about 8 times during the night was pretty sweet.

Interesting thing about the photos is that it shows the impact of this three day long storm event up and down a 250 mile stretch of coastline.

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I'm in Texas for the ND game but Mary reports no damage. We're about 50 miles inland.

6. Scott88

Glad to hear you all made it with no major troubles!

:)

7. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I'm in NJ but we had no damage at our place in Hobe Sound on the east coast. Just a lot of rain.

8. Motorcity Gator

Had about 15 inches of rain where I live in Dunedin and just north of here in Pasco County they had up to 20 inches of rain and extensive flooding still exists.

If you haven't seen the photos in the link I provided above it's worth a look.

There was a lot of flooding and many trees down.

9. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Speaking of water, I saw a picture of people waterboarding on some lake in or around Orlando. It looked like fun, but given the situation at Disneyworld in a private lake with Gators.

I'd like Ralph's opinion is there any freshwater lake in Fla that a person could feel safe that there is no chance of a Gator encounter? What about rivers? I've seen pictures of people getting hurt on the Sewannee river with gar jumping into their boats, are there gators on those rivers as well?

10. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

In all honesty alligators are pretty timid and shy, nothing like the reputation they have. It's similar to swimming in the ocean, it's probably not a good idea to swim early morning or at dusk as those are feeding times when sharks, gators etc. are about. Also the attack at Disney was in middle of the nesting season and they think the attack was by a female who had a nest nearby. During that time i wouldn't wade in the Disney lagoon.

But to answer your original question yes there are many lakes that are Gator free or at the very least they are quickly removed if spotted. I live in an area that has a couple dozen lakes in the vicinity that are ripping and roaring with skiers on a daily basis and loaded with lake houses that fill up for the long holiday weekends. I personally enjoy lakes more than saltwater because I feel safer.

The Suwannee river has gators but once again they are trying to get as far away from humans if possible 99% of the time. The sturgeon in that river are known for jumping in the boats and hurting people, I think thats the only known river habitat for that species in Florida...

11. Motorcity Gator

My friends in Bradenton live on a lake and have a beautiful view every afternoon of the several large Gators that show up to forage for a shore lunch.... 8)

I would not go swimming in this lake for nothing..... too many of the scaly beasts in there.

Then there is this:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4489412

12. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The only time I have ever been able to back spin an approach shot to the green was in Palm City, Fl several years ago when I hit an 8I within two feet. I had a gator about 10' behind me on the bank of a pond and it really helped me keep my head down and stay behind the ball.

13. Scott88