Womens World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

We haven't talked about this at all, surprisingly.

I've watched some of it, and this week it'll all be over. The USA is the Alabama of Women's Soccer right now. They knocked off the team, France, that from what I read were the team that was thought to be the biggest challenge for the USA. Now it's USA vs England and Sweden vs Netherlands, it's the USA v Europe. The South Americans who are so good in the Men's Cup competition aren't really as good as the Americans and the Europeans it appears.

I've read some say that if the USA wins the cup they might cement their legacy as the greatest Women's team in history, better than that team from the 90's lead by Mia Hamm. It's odd that I actually recognize a number of the WNT players and I don't know a single MNT player.

USA v England is Tues, the final is Friday.

The sidelight of the Rapinoe on Trump is pretty funny. I think maybe it fired her up even more to be great, which she already was great. She was the one who several years ago when Kappernick started the whole National Anthem thing, she jumped right on board till USA Soccer told her she would either stand for the Nat'l Anthem or not play on the team. She chose to stand, but wasn't happy about it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

It's a hard team to cheer for, but they're the best in the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Americans protesting is nothing new. People losing their minds over not singing the anthem is lame too. For years, you could see American men not singing the anthem.. It wasn't a protest, it's because their minds were on the match. Now some women are doing it in protest and people are getting butt hurt. They're still the home team, as JOCO mentioned, they can be tough to root for but I'm pulling for no one else and would be pissed if they come up short. They have no excuse. Our player development for women is still light years ahead of the competition.

4. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Hope I can work this into my yard schedule this afternoon?:(

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Probably a lot of people feel like I do, I am not actively rooting against them, but I am not going to watch. I turn to sports for fun and relaxation, watching people who hate our country, our flag and our president and wasting no opportunity to show their stupidity and their hatred is a bit more than I can handle. Sorry.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Beyond Megan Rapinoe I'm not sure how the other players feel, they have wisely kept their mouths shut and focused on playing the game. But it's become pretty common for teams to not go to the White House with Trump as President. I know Clemson did, but I'll bet the players didn't get to vote on it. On some teams that went, like the Patriots, a number of players declined to go with the team.

If they win and the team goes, except for Rapinoe, that's fine. if the whole team refuses to go I'm disappointed. I still want them to win of course.

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Terry, AOC has invited them to the House of Representatives and I believe Rapinoe and several others have accepted. I want them to win but not with the enthusiasm I have had in the past.

8. Terry O'Keefe

I could see AOC wanting to hook on to Megan Rapinoe esp, and I'll bet Rapinoe is a fan of AOC. Both of them think the USA is a bad place.

If the team ends up going to visit the Congress, that's fine with me. The whole going to the White House is some what recent anyway. Kennedy had the NBA champion Celtics to the White House in 1963 and various teams came over the years, but it wasn't till Regan was President that it became more of a tradition. But more recently it's been a problem, some individual players have opted out over the years, Tom Brady didn't visit when Obama was president.

Just win and the rest will be forgiven/forgotten eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that. It's funny, I don't remember any media coverage of that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. IrishCorey

Funny what gets covered. Well, for those of you who committed yourselves to your lawns over country, the women won today without Rapinoe ever playing a single second. She didn't even warm up.

11. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Rapinoe sat out due to a hammy issue, but is expected to be ready to go for the final. Her sub had a very nice game, that's what depth is supposed to do for you!

12. IrishCorey

If you guys are boycotting the women, you're always welcome to watch the American Men's team in the Gold Cup. You can get your first looks at Captain America.

13. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

One more game to go for the women!

14. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I was mildly interested leading up to it. When the Angry Dyke started her anti-Trump nonsense I quickly abandoned ship. I don't care if they win or lose. Trump needs to stop extending these invitations that give gasbags like Rapinoe a public forum. It is an unappreciated gesture in this politicized climate. I did see on the highlights that the girl who scored the game winner yesterday used the moment to taunt the British. Hope she feels better now. If my patriotic support is not reciprocated then I withdraw it. That is the case here. Plus I've been distracted by Gay Pride MONTH !

15. Terry O'Keefe

Too bad it's worked out this way, this is apparently a very talented team that if they win could be considered the greatest World Cup team ever.

16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Wow, "Angry Dyke"?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry O'Keefe

Angry Dyke is married to hot basketball ball great Sue Bird!

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

You've got to be pretty full of yourself to decline an invitation before it's ever given. The US team was fortunate to win the last 2 games. Some individuals just have to have the spotlight all the time. They have to stand out even in a team sport.. One way is to have hair the same color as a Waffle House waitress.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Wow!

• Like Like x 2
  20. IrishCorey

Meanwhile, the men won today. Our two best players are 20 years old each and play in the Bundesliga, although one of them (Pulisic) will soon be playing in the Premier League for Chelsea. They both scored tonight (Pulisic twice) in a 3-1 win over a very good Jamaica team. Next up for them is the Gold Cup finals in Chicago at Soldier's Field.

Look, I get it that you're hell bent on being in crazy Papaw mode and that's fine, but I'm offering you a legit alternative of American loving kids who have dominated the field in historic fashion on the way to the finals of the Gold Cup against their greatest rivals. And look at it this way, YOU GET TO ROOT AGAINST MEXICANS! If that doesn't have all the '**** yeah America' of a sleeveless t-shirt, 12 pack of PBR while watching a NASCAR Race, I don't know what will get the patriot in you going.

• Like Like x 1