Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Just thought I'd get a topic started!

Laura Bush is there representing the USA. I wonder if who ever gives the opening speech will feel it necessary to make a political statement on how much he hates Bush?

USA, USA, USA!

I'm looking forward to these gals bringing home the gold in Curling.

[​IMG]

And I can't believe this is one of our womens hockey team members!! :)

[​IMG]

I watched a spot on this 19 y/o kid who's the best in the world on the Snowboard. He's been a Pro since he was 13, now owns 4 houses and has millions in endorsements, etc. Seemed like a nice kid, they call him the Flying Tomato, he looks like Carrot top though. But he came across really well in the piece they did on him

[​IMG]

Oh and go to the NBC Olympic site and watch the Hermannl Maier crash and burn video from the 1998 Olympics in Nagano. The called him the Herminator if I remeber. It's an amazing video. I'm sure they'll show it on TV though.

Terry

2. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:)
    The sport that really has my attention is short track speed skating. I want Apollo Ono to kick some Korean arse for the dirty tricks they played last time and blow right by everybody...

[​IMG]

3. Terry O'Keefe

Opening Ceremonies: Typically overdone and way too long.

I mean Yoko Ono as part of the opening ceremony?

Peter Gabriel obviously is working for Green Peace because he can no longer sing.

Susan Sarandon carrying the Flag, come on!

I did like the 80's sound track though, it's so Italian! "I like the Night Life, I got to boogie" "YMCA, YMCA"..... :)

Some pretty fireworks and I like the Ferrari doing a donut, I usually enjoy watching the various countries march. I was amazed at that one 52 y/o lady from some island in the Carribean competing in the Luge, she of course doesn't live there. And how about the Financial Reporter living in Japan, who is the sole competitor for Bermuda, luge or skeleton. The guy from Ethiopia, well he's lived in NYC since he was 6, but who cares. Maybe the most shocking was the size of the Irish Team, is beer drinking and joke telling and fighting when drunk a winter sport? I thought it was a summer sport me self.

But they finished it right, Pavarotti was truly magnificent!

Terry

4. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Re: Winter Olympics...

It's all about the Downhill boys....everything else is just a sideshow and/or pretty exhibitions!

Gotta love those downhill bandits..... 8)

Terry

5. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry,

I agree re: Yoko and Susan, but overall I think it was a beautiful production. Remember, the Italians don't think like us. They are "burdened" by centuries of leadership in art, music and humanities. Don't forget, the Renaissance period originated in Italy.

Overdone? Absolutely. But IMO the dove on the climbing screen was cool, the floating sun and moon were cool. and the ski jumper was cool. The lighting of the torch was impressive. On the other hand, since I don't have much couth, I could not appreciate the artistic aspects of the male dancer or even Pavarotti.

6. Bear Down Rick

Bear Down Rick Active Member

God love the Italians for their contributions to automobile and bicycle technology.

Rick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

When I hear "Italian" I immediately think of that classic movie, Gumball Rally.

The Italian driver hops in to the Ferrari, pulls the rear view mirror off of the windshield, and says "The first rule of Italian racing is... What's behinda me, is not important!" :D

8. Terry O'Keefe

Sid,

It was beautifull in an Olympic Sense. But they sometimes take all that dancing and stuff to a little bit of an extreme. But then NBC has a lot of time to fill!! :)

I can only imagine how beautifull that it must have looked in HD, esp the pre-opening ceremonies when they showed a lot of area in a sweeping panoramic flyby mode.

Terry

9. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Terry, I was thinking the same thing. During our recent visit to my college roommate in Chicago, we saw HD on his 60" screen. It was amazing. But I'm not quite ready yet to pull the trigger. Last night would have been awesome in HD.

10. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:wink:
    I'm also rooting for hometown hero Derek Parra from San Bernardino, California. We don't even have snow here. He was an in-line roller skater who learned how to ice skate in the San Bernardino Mountains at Big Bear Lake...

[​IMG]