Will We Have College Football This Year?

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Gator Bill, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

2. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

I don't see how college football could start on time in September. No fans?

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I must have missed something..... this is a sports board correct? Is there some sort of a problem going on that we should know about?

4. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Alabama is not going to be printing tickets anymore for games!

Get your smartphones ready. Alabama announced Tuesday that it will transition to mobile-only ticketing beginning this season in order to enable contactless entry into all of its venues. In an issued release, the university explained the change stating that it will "provide a safer environment for fans, as well as help guard against the production of fraudulent tickets."

The new policy will apply to both season tickets and single-game tickets as well as to neutral-site games and away games. Parking passes will also be issued electronically. Ticket purchasers will receiver their tickets and parking passes through email and can then download them to apps such as Apple Wallet or Google Pay Wallet where they can be scanned for admittance at the stadium. Paper tickets will no longer be accepted. Fans without smartphones can contact the UA ticket office for assistance.

According to the release, season ticket holders who aren’t UA faculty or students will still have the ability to post tickets on StubHub, the official fan-to-fan marketplace of Alabama Athletics, or transfer tickets to a friend, in the event they are unable to attend.

The release also stated that “information regarding capacity at all Alabama home events will be determined at a later date.”

5. Terry O'Keefe

Stanford just announced they were cutting 11 of their 36 Varsity Sports, they had the most sports of any Div 1 school, Ohio State was close at 35. In their press release they said that even if sponsors/donors came forward to offer to support a sport they would have to do it at the club level, clearly they are not going back to such a large program of athletics even if the good times return. Here's the list.

Stanford Football doesn't really draw big crowds, many games are less than capacity, last years final with Notre Dame looked like at most 5k fans in the stands. Kind of like watching a Marlins game. So loss of revenue from football isn't the only thing in this case.

Men’s and women’s fencing
    Field hockey
    Lightweight rowing
    Men’s rowing
    Co-ed and women’s sailing
    Squash
    Synchronized swimming
    Men’s volleyball
    Wrestling

Stanford Athletics varsity sport reductions: FAQ | Stanford News

The decision to discontinue these 11 varsity sports programs comes down primarily to finances and competitive excellence. With so many sports and limited financial resources, we would no longer be able to support a world-class athletics experience for our student-athletes without making these changes.

The average Division I athletics program sponsors 18 varsity sports. In fact, only one university at the Division I FBS level sponsored more varsity sports than Stanford prior to this change, and that institution does so with a significantly larger budget. Many of our peers at the Power Five level are supported by budgets that are much larger than ours while operating far fewer sports. Stanford’s more than 850 varsity student-athletes today represent 12% of our undergraduate population, a far higher percentage than exists at nearly all of our peer institutions.

Over time, however, providing 36 varsity teams with the level of support that they deserve has become a serious and growing financial challenge. Due to the escalating costs of operating such a large athletics department, a structural deficit emerged several years prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. That deficit was projected to exceed $12 million in FY21 and to grow steadily in the years ahead. The COVID-19 pandemic and associated recession have only exacerbated the gap; before these sport reductions, our revised forecasts indicated a best-case scenario of a $25 million deficit in FY21, factoring in the effects of COVID-19, and a cumulative shortfall of nearly $70 million over the next three years. These projected deficits could become much greater if the 2020-21 sports seasons are suspended or altered due to COVID-19.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Gator Bill

I don't understand your question? Yes it's a sports board and there is the Back Room for discussions that are political.

So to answer your question yes it's a sports board and is there something going on you should know about? Nothing special that I know of, just keep it to sports.

7. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Ok Bill..... whew..... I thought maybe something was going on that could cancel the season the way you guys are going on here. Glad to see that sports and especially college football stands on it's own.....completely not affected by outside politics and other happenings.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Gator Bill

You need to grow up Dave and don't push my buttons you may not like the result. You are entitled to your opinion, however we are entitled to have people follow the rules and take their politics to the Back Room. It may make you happy to have people put you on their ignore list but that only goes so far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bill, I try to not discuss politics online so I really appreciate your effort to keep those discussions on the Back Room forum.The virus does affect sports but the pluses and minus's of the political response does not. Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gator Bill

Thank you Kp. I had a conversation with Terry a little earlier this evening and we are in total agreement about this and there are some posts about to disappear and hopefully the author will have the good judgement to not do it again. If not then we can decide where to go from there. I hope to put up an announcement shortly after running it by Terry. I see him these days as the guru here and want to make sure we are in agreement.

I really don't understand the mindset that doesn't seem to care what the rest of us think.

11. Gator Bill

Like I said in the other topic, lay off the political BS and don't keep pushing the envelope, I don't have time or patience to keep dealing with you doing that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The Ivy League cancelled all fall sports. Unless something dramatically changes this will likely domino. Non-revenue producing sports are toast under these conditions. Football and basketball produce the dollars but how do you do that without fans in the seats unless you re-structure your media deals and make everything pay per view. Are you ready to those kind of prices to watch your school play football?

13. Terry O'Keefe

Not a good sign. Both Ohio State and UNC paused their voluntary workouts due to positive tests.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The US recorded a million new cases in less than one month. With that type of rapid spread, my sense is that a lot of universities do not want to be portrayed in the media as being willing to risk the health of students to field a football team. While the Ivies are not major players in college football, they are still looked upon by other universities as the nation’s leading and most prestigious universities. Their actions here will influence the presidents and trustees of other universities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Terry O'Keefe

Rumor flying about now that the Big 10 will play 10 conference games only.

16. Gator Bill

I pretty much agree as to the possible result Bobda. The USA is testing over 600,000 on a daily basis now which is largely responsible for the increase in cases. But its very likely no fall football. But spring is still a possible option.

The question in my mind is that if we have spring football is it then followed right away with fall football.

17. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Bob has hit the nail squarely. Additionally you could replace "university" with any business or organization.
    Forget the science, (risk to these kids is no more, and could be LESS than it was a year ago) let's tuck tail and run from the court of media attack. Football is going to be a loss, but nothing compared the rest of what's being wrecked by all of this...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Terry O'Keefe

ACC has announced that they will have no fall sports before Sept 1. Men's and Women's soccer usually have some matches in August as does Volleyball. No ACC football games are scheduled in August.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Notre Dame AD, Jack Swarbrick, says it's less likely that we will start on time in college football.

Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Thursday he thinks it's "less likely" the college football season starts on time, citing growing concerns over the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

"It has grown more pessimistic over the past two weeks, but I'm not to a point to say we shouldn't continue to plan for the potential to open on time," Swarbrick said in an interview with ESPN. "I just think it's less likely. We have to shift our allocations a little bit -- a little more time on planning the alternatives, and a little less time on planning routine go-forward."

Notre Dame's return plan, which has its football players living in a hotel on campus for the summer, has largely worked. Notre Dame has tested a total of 252 athletes and received just one positive result.

20. Terry O'Keefe

Dallas School Superintendent told a local reporter that he's doubtful that Texas can have HS football this fall.