Weekend in Review #6

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Another big weekend, lots of big games, big upsets, and changes at the top.

1. Oregon started it off with an impressive stomping of UCLA, even if UCLA is really bad and didn't have their starting QB that was an impressive win by the Ducks. They will most likely ascend to #1 in all polls, deservedly.

2. Auburn, man those guys look good, in a much different way than Oregon looks good but still Cam Newton is not only mega good but he has captured the imagination of the nation and the Heisman voters. Now those people all have short attention spans but for the moment he is the hottest player in cleats. Anybody remember that guy named Shoelaces?

3. Big 10, no clear leader inspite of MSU being undefeated. Lots of good teams though. Iowa, Wisc, Ohio State, MSU all are very good teams. I don't think MSU can go undefeated, so I wonder if it's possible for the B10 to face the same tie breaker conundrum that the B12 faced in 2008?

4. SEC West, will they all knock one another off? LSU still has a shot at Bama and at home, Auburn has to face a rejuvinated UGA and go to Alabama. Could they end up in another one of those tie breakers? SEC East, they play football over there anymore? ;-). BTW given all the back and forth before the season over which game was more important to Alabama fans, UF or Auburn. It appears that the AU/Bama game is even bigger than the UF/Bama game could have ever hoped to have been under any definition!!

5. B12. Missouri beating OU was just delicious!! OU Sucks, Bob Stoops kills puppies and kittens!! :) Big Game Bob has a problem, his team seems to fall apart in the 4th qtr. The Cornhuskers found their lost offense for sure putting up 51 points, but they still haven't found the defene giving up 41 points. Big 12 South? Baylor Bears in the lead? Is that even possible? Baylor going to a bowl game, is that what you heard?? muhhhhhhhaaha....sure. :) Texas Aggies with a QB controversy? Probably not, but I'll bet Scott can come up with at least 2 or 3 recent Texas Aggie Sr. QB's who didn't finish their Sr's years as the starter! Texas, when the coach says he can't trust the players and the coaches to get themselves ready to play what does that say? A seriously screwed up team. Can we request that the rest of our foes come dressed as Cornhuskers? :)

6. ACC. Looks like VaTech has recovered from the slow start and is rolling now, FSU also rolling, GaTech getting rolled.

7. TCU another weekend another solid win, probably drop another spot. BSU didn't play will drop most certainly. But they just have to remain focused and not lose, those in front of them aren't likely to stay undefeated. Oh yeah can we include Utah in that bunch, they destroyed another team this weekend. I am hearing that the Utes have been quietly buying up tickets for the ND/Utah game and might bring as many as 15K fans to South Bend, they only get 5K tickets from ND.

8. Pac10 or 12Pac....WTF CAL again, cream ASU I mean bend them over and have their way with them! Is there a more jekyl/hyde team? Speaking of Oregon, they make a little trip down to L.A. where USC has had 2 weeks to prepare for the Ducks. SC offense is red hot right now, so I think they will score on Oregon, question is can Monti Kiffin at his age keep up with the Duck Blur offense? Will he still be thinking about the possiblities of formations and defenses when the Ducks snap the ball? Maybe. :twisted: Stanford quietly keeps on keeping on. BTW they annoucned the split and are going to have the championship game at the home field of the team with the best record, I assume if there is a tie then it will go to the highest ranked BCS team. I can't wait till they play the Championship game in Pullman in early December...esp the Southern Cal Teams!! :) Would bring back images of those old Rams teams having to go to Minnesota to play the Vikings when they still played outside. Rams had heaters, heavy jackets, etc. Vikings shirt sleeves! Mental intimidation. What do you think Kes!! :)

9. Irish...ugh. I fear Tulsa, they have had 2 weeks to prepare for the Irish.

10. Heisman. Cam Newton has captured the imagination of the voters, he may or may not be better than Pryor, but Pryor is sort of off the radar at the moment. LaMichael James is the competition.

2. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

:idea:
    re: Boise State
    We're approaching the time when everyone will have to admit that the Broncos deserve a shot at the NC. They aren't going to lose any games this year and they didn't lose any last year either. Let's not forget that Boise played this year's #1 darlings, Oregon, last season and kicked the crap out of them. The Ducks didn't even have a first down in the first half! That entire Bronco's team had no returning starters and they're all back this year. They also beat TCU in their bowl game and its getting mighty hard to believe any arguments against them...

re: Duckies
    This week will tell the tale: Ducks vs USC at the Coliseum. This will be the late game on ABC...

re: Irish
    Sigh...

re: Cam Newton
    I don't know. Is he the new Shoelace or not? I wanna see him do this stuff against Bama in the Iron Bowl; then I'll believe...

3. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Boise State is #2 in this weeks human polls, that bodes well for them in the BCS. But their problem will be can they play Who He every week now while Auburn plays name teams, and Oregon plays name teams and MSU plays name teams.

Just looking at things, We have the following undefeated teams.

Oregon
    Boise State
    Auburn
    TCU
    MSU
    Utah
    Missouri

TCU and Utah play each other so that leaves 6 possible undefeated teams.

I don't think there is a snowballs chance that Missouri goes undefeated...that leaves 5 teams.

I don't think there is a snowballs chance that Mich State goes undefeated..that leaves 4 teams.

Most likely to go undefeated Oregon, Boise, TCU, Auburn. If both Oregon and Auburn go undefeated there is no way that they will not be 1-2 in the BCS poll. For either TCU or Boise to make it in they need for either Oregon or Auburn to lose.

4. Terry O'Keefe

BCS is out...

10. Wisconsin
    9. Oklahoma
    8. Utah
    7. Alabama
    6. Mizzou
    5. Michigan State
    4. TCU
    3. Boise State
    2. Oregon
    1. Auburn

pretty much what I said Oregon or Auburn will have to lose.

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I have Oregon number one and Auburn number 2.

Question, what happens if Alabama wins out and Oregoan, Boise State and TCU win out?

Two questions, who do you think would go and secondly who do you think should go in that scenario?

6. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Ok your wish is my command, next week the Ducks lose and Auburn loses in the Iron bowl....Anything else???

7. Terry O'Keefe

Bill I think that if Alabama wins out, which is possible and they will have to beat LSU, Miss State and Auburn a tough closing schedule, they will not climb above an undefeated team. They will have a legit claim to being one of the best 2 teams in the country, but it would be a firestorm though if they slip ahead of undefeated teams from other conferences.

8. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Bama beats Auburn.

The Tigers have no defense.

I am not impressed with Auburn's close win at home win over a team that the Gators should have beaten ( LSU ) and would have if not for some outrageous playcalling and luck to go with it.

Take that to the bank.

9. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

IF MSU wins this weekend at Iowa they CAN go undefeated.

10. Terry O'Keefe

Sure that's a given, it's just that it's hard to do that, so many teams stumble against inferior teams when least expected. Remember the year that Ohio State was clearly the best team in the B10, #1 in the country, a juggernaut, and a lightly regarded MSU team went into Columbus and beat them.

11. Gator Bill

What I am thinking about mostly Terry is Boise State and perhaps TCU. Do you think a once defeated Alabama could slip ahead of one or both of those schools if they were undefeated along with Oregon?

12. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

In other words, it's still possible for Boise to finish ranked #1 in both polls and NOT be invited to the final game...

13. Terry O'Keefe

I'm sure that most fans of the PAC10, B12,B10, SEC would feel that if their champion was a 1 loss team that due to strength of schedule that they should be in the game over undefeated Boise State.

14. Gator Bill

Terry and JO'Co, not only is it possible but it's happened before. I think that USC was first in both polls, LSU second and Oklahoma 3rd. The computers jumped Oklahoma to first and dropped USC to third.

The last two weeks have been the same, first Oklahoma a week ago and now Auburn this week.

I think most SEC fans would prefer a once beaten SEC team over Boise. In general I feel that way. However if you guys remember I have long complained about the computer polls as compared to the voting polls. I still feel that way.

Look at the computer polls composite, Auburn first and Missouri second.

15. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

why yes...yes I do. Plaxico Burress over the top of Antoine Winfield. Rinse and repeat, again. Remember it well

Gip is right tho, if Sparty gets by Iowa on the road, they will be better than even money to run the table. Purdue is decimated, Minny impotent and that only leaves the Nits in Happy Valley.....Nits will be fired up and Sparty is Sparty but.....they have a tough, tough game in Iowa City first. Great ballgame.....good for D'Antonio.

16. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah that's just nuts.

At one time I thought surely computers were the way to go, after all no bias for a conference team that you cover or root for or other human foilbles. Coaches tempted to vote for conference breathern, coaches tempted to vote against teams they dislike, etc.

But hasn't worked out that way. Computers are the worst.

17. Motorcity Gator

The way Auburn has been playing I think if Alabama defeats an unbeaten Auburn at season's end and follows that up with an almost certain win in the SECCG then the Tide may yet finish ahead of an unbeaten Boise, TCU and possibly even an unbeaten MSU.....although MSU's computer ranking was pretty decent at last look.

Bama would get a huge bump from playing LSU also.

Let the howling begin...... :lol: 8)

18. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Bama would get a huge bump if they played SC in the SECCG and beat them decisively.

19. Terry O'Keefe

If Oregon and Mich State lose this weekend then the path for Boise State will have gotten much easier. They could be jumped by Alabama if Bama wins out and still play for the BCS title. I wonder though, if LSU beats Bama in Baton Rouge and then Bama beats Auburn who goes to the SECCG? LSU or Auburn?

No SEC East team is going to provide any juice to the SECCG this year so winning that game isn't a big deal.

20. Motorcity Gator

South Carolina.....with two losses and a decent ranking.....would provide a nice little kicker at the end for Bammer if the Tide can navigate through LSU and Auburn also.

If by some miracle Florida wins the SEC East and Bama gets to kick the crap out of the Gators again in the SECCG then they get a bump.....but not so much.

If I were a Bama fan I would also be a South Carolina fan big time until the SECCG.