Week 7 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Can it really be the 7th week of the season, more than half done after this weekend. Time flies doesn't it.

Conference play is in full swing, for the most part the buy or puff games are done.

There are still 15 undefeated teams in FBS. it will be at least 1 fewer after this weekends Fla/LSU game as they are the only 2 undefeated teams playing each other. But there are lots of good games. Last year at this time there were only 11 undefeated teams left.

There is a Wed game this week...I don't think we should be playing college football on Wed night.

Thursday Night has a ACC matchup with Syracuse and NCState ...important only for getting to bowl eligibility and the better bowl.

Friday Night we have a couple of good games.

Virginia at Miami. Important for UVA as they are the favorite in the ACC Coastal and need of course to keep winning. Important for Miami because their season is sort of in the balance, their only 2 wins are against Bethune Cookman and Central Michigan. That loss to Va.Tech was really a bad loss. Manny Diaz needs a win.

Colorado at Oregon. Ducks in control of the Pac 12 N and need to keep winning. New coach Mel Tucker at Colorado has the Buffs playing pretty well, their 2 losses were both close games.

Sat Games

1. Alabama at Texas A&M . Tide offense has been unstoppable this year. Tremendous WR' s and Tua just gets them the ball in space so quickly. I don't see much hope for Scotts boys in this game. Maybe Saban will focus on the running game this weekend to keep kp happy! :)

2. Clemson vs FSU . Clemson doesn't seem quite like the team that mudstomped ND and ran over Alabama in the CFP last year. They're good for sure, but just not the juggernaut that they were last year. FSU on the other hand maybe isn't as bad as people thought they were after losing to Boise State. 'Noles are 3-2 and on a 2 game winning streak. Maybe Willie Taggert makes it through the season after all.

3. Ohio State ....Has the week off.

4. Georgia vs So. Carolina. Jake Fromm doesn't get much pub as a QB, but he's really a very good QB for the UGA system. So. Carolina doesn't have much of a chance here, best case for them is to not get anybody hurt.

5. LSU vs Florida Probably the game of the week. Gameday will be in Baton Rouge. LSU offense has been spectacular this year, Joe Burrow in the Heisman conversation. Fla defense is very salty. It's the best defense (sorry Texas not even close to UF defense), that LSU has seen this year. Scott says LSU defense is just Ok, and I think the UF offense is just OK esp if Trask isn't 100%. So will the LSU offense score enough to help out their defense? That's the key to me LSU offense v Fla defense. 13.5 point spread between 2 top 10 programs that's a lot and says Vegas doesn't believe in the Gators.

6. Oklahoma v Texas ..if not for LSU/Fla this would be the game of the week. It's still a big big game on so many levels. For OU with CFP dreams they need to keep winning being undefeated is the best ticket in to the CFP. For Jalen Hurts, it's his first really big game, he's put up monster numbers, but Texas is the best team he'll play all season. If he performs like he's been doing and gets a win it's huge for his Heisman hopes. But if he doesn't and Sam Ehlinger outplays him then you'll see Sam jump up in that Heisman poll. Neither team has a top 10 defense, so I expect this to be a scoring fest.

7. Fla at LSU

8. Wisconsin vs Mich State As we saw early vs Ohio State, MSU has a good defense. But I doubt they can hold up against the Wisconsin offense. I doubt they can score much against the Wisconsin defense.

9. Notre Dame vs USC Irish and USC the greatest intersectional rivalry in football. Lots of tradition here and it's a big game for both schools. Irish still have outside chance of a CFP berth but have to win out. USC just fighting for their lives, for the coaches jobs. Still see stuff that says Urban Meyer has already agreed to take over at USC after the season. The Trojans have a potent offense, they have WR's who will play in the NFL, likely as starters. Irish have a good defense, that has been improving every week. Weak spot right now is the corners, which is pretty big when you play a potent passing attack like USC. I like our chances if our defense plays up to it's capability. Like most Irish fans I'm hoping our QB has that kind of game that makes you say...that's how you play QB!

10. Penn State at Iowa. Penn State quietly moving up the ranks. They are playing good defense and their QB who nobody knows his name has been outstanding. They are good on both sides of the ball. Iowa is good on defense, not so much on offense. But it is at Iowa. Penn State very much in the B1G East race.

Other games

Memphis at Temple...very big game for the AAC.

Ariz State vs WSU ...ASU got that big win vs CAL last weekend. Mike Leach not very happy with the way his Cougars are playing. This is pretty important game for both teams. WSU is out of the race most likely with 2 conference losses already, but need the win to get the season back on track. ASU still in it for the Pac 12 S.

Texas Tech at Baylor ...both teams got big wins last weekend. Mike Rhule has Baylor thinking big again. Baylor is undefeated, they have winnable games up till Nov 16th date with OU. That would quite a turnaround if they could get to 9-0. Probably won't though.

Louisville at Wake Forrest. Wake like Baylor is undefeated, and has a shot at going to Clemson undefeated at 9-0, like Baylor it's not likely but possible. Louisville is doing much better under Scott Sattefield and you can see their improvement. This won't be an easy game for Wake Forrest.

Nebraska at Minnesota. Gophers are undefeated and unranked in AP and #25 in Coaches poll. Huskers got a narrow win last weekend vs Northwestern. Big big game for both teams, the B1G W in spite of the dominance of Wisconsin so far is going to be a dog fight and both these teams have a dog in that fight.

Hawaii at Boise State ..reason this is an important game? Hawaii is a good team and Boise State is undefeated. With the downfall of UCF, the gate is open for an undefeated Mountain West team to claim as spot in the New Years Six bowls. Blue carpet probably just too much for the Rainbow Warriors.

Lots of other good games out there, important for the teams season and possible bowl games.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"LSU vs Florida Probably the game of the week. Gameday will be in Baton Rouge"

With so many other good games on the schedule that you listed it's evident to me that Florida football is back to relevancy having been front and center in CFB with Gameday in tow two weeks in a row. Plus in another three weeks if UF at least beats S.C. there is another potential Game of the Week vs. Georgia.

Great job Dan Mullen!

3. Terry O'Keefe

Don it's being reported that Isaiah Pryor will take an official visit to Notre Dame this weekend. Looking to be a graduate transfer. What's the story here? Is he a kid who is taking this year as a red shirt year to preserve a final year some place else?

4. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

It does pass by in a blink!
    Kyle Field will be packed to welcome Uncle Nick.
    As far as I've heard we still haven't fixed our OL issues, so our offense will continue to be sketchy. (not a good recipe for success)
    The Aggie secondary is much better than last year, and we can stuff the run with the best of them, but this is a different level of passing attack (who would've ever guessed we'd say that about a Saban offense 3 years ago?) so I doubt we hold them under 20 pts.
    Magical things can happen when we play at home, so I'll still show up with high hopes. :)

I would add to Terry's analysis of L$U vs Florida: keep an eye on the L$U defense getting tired.
    If this goes like I think it might... where UF has the ball for a significant TOP advantage, running the ball will become more and more Florida's friend.

I'm not sure either team involved in the Red River game will have enough shotgun blanks for their little toy cannons after all the scoring!

The Cougs need to get off the mat and play some friggin ball again.

I think MATT Rhule is Baylor's coach, and he's gotta be up for some serious awards.
    Even if they lose several more they are WAY ahead of where I ever thought they'd be after Briles burned it to the ground.

5. Terry O'Keefe

LOL...at least with the cool front and being a home game where the Locker room A/C will be working there should be no excuse for them getting tired and having fake cramps in the 2nd half like they did in Austin! :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

ESPN's Heisman Watch for Week 7, no surprises.
    1. Jalen
    2. Tua
    3. Joe Burrow
    4. Johnathon Taylor
    5. Justin Fields
    6. Sam Ehlinger...if Sam and Texas win this weekend he'll start getting more attention. Esp if the Gators shutdown Joe Burrow.

7. Terry O'Keefe

For those of you concerned about unsportsmanlike conduct....esp with regards to the Horns down sign directed at Texas football. Well you can relax. Lincoln Riley has said his players will not use that sign in the game on Saturday. Big 12 officials gave out 2 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalties against West Virginia last week for their use of the sign. I'll bet OU players will not be able to resist doing it anyway in spite of what the coach said.

Riley: Sooners won't do Horns Down vs. Texas

8. Motorcity Gator

"If this goes like I think it might... where UF has the ball for a significant TOP advantage, running the ball will become more and more Florida's friend"

That's a very good observation. I was thinking a few plays before Perine busted that 88 yarder for the TD to seal it that it seemed as if Mullen was calling running plays just for the hell of it.... to possibly wear out their defense because our runs were fairly ineffective until that long one.

9. Terry O'Keefe

10. Terry O'Keefe

Talk this morning about the Texas/OU game is mostly that the Texas DB's are hurting, and that is not good when facing a Lincoln Riley offense. I don't think OU has a great defense either, so I'm still thinking that this will end up sort of a shootout like the LSU game.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Army. After last season where they took OU to the limit before losing, and then going on a 9 game winning streak to finish out the season with a 70-14 destruction of Houston in the bowl game, the expectations were pretty high for this year. They brought back a veteran team. They played Michigan at Ann Arbor to a stalemate and probably should've won, but didn't of course. But the times that I have seen them they don't look quite like a veteran team with a returning QB. They barely beat a bad Rice team and lost to a good Tulane team, both at home. This season could still turn out to be a great season if they beat Navy. But I really thought they'd have a shot at cracking the top 25 and finishing 11-1 in the regular season. Not going to happen though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Terry O'Keefe

So only tangentially related to Week 7 of college football.

But Purdue has banned faculty, staff and students from betting on any Purdue Sports team. I'm a little confused, it seem from reading below that the ban relates to betting on campus. Not sure what this does, if they can just go off campus and bet. Or how are they going to enforce it, and are they anticipating some enterprising student running a sports book out of his/her dorm room?

Purdue bans campus bets on Boilermaker sports, as legalized gambling takes hold

13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So is Indiana one of the states that made it legal?
    I must be behind on the news... is it now OK to have sports books just anywhere?

14. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I actually have no idea, so if someone knows, I'd love to be enlightened.

15. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Alabama vs A&M could be a lot closer game than most people think. Alabama is dangerously close to becoming a one dimensional, pass only offense. Our offensive line has trouble opening holes even against less talented defenses. If I was A&M, I would try to make Alabama run the ball. Sell out to pressure Tagavoloa. If they give Tua any time at all he will pick them apart. Our young linebackers are not able to cover and get to the gaps. Mond will have to have a great game but Alabama's defense is not able to cover for the offense as they have in the past and I believe that makes them vulnerable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

I think Sid runs a Sports Book in Fisher. o_O

Re: force 'Bama to run the football. A dangerous strategy, Tua gets the ball out so quickly to such dangerous receivers he'll be hard to pressure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Haha! No, I don't, but an old friend of mine from high school has run a sports book in Indy for many years. I don't bet, so I don't know how he's doing with the legalized betting.

18. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Somehow that does not surprise me Sid!:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, you are correct but if you don't do something to make Alabama turn to the running game, you will have to score 60 to have a chance. I think it's a dangerous strategy not to go after him. I will be very happy if A&M plays Alabama as a team that has a balanced offense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Motorcity Gator

"Alabama's defense is not able to cover for the offense as they have in the past and I believe that makes them vulnerable."

The offense that I have seen from Bama doesn't have to be "covered for".... they have been dynamite in the passing game.... overwhelming.
    I think LSU-Fla will give you a preview of how a pretty good defense can try to slow down a really good passing offense. UF's defense is most likely significantly better than any Bama has seen so far.... and better than any LSU has seen.
    So what wins that battle? We'll see Saturday.