Week 6 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Big games a plenty. it's October!

Friday Night:
    UCF at Cincinnati ...big game for the AAC. Both these teams are expected to contend for the AAC title. UCF had it's unbeaten season ended 2 weeks ago, and UC had a beat down in Columbus. But these are still 2 of the best AAC teams. This will be a big month for that AAC with about 5 or 6 teams who are in the race for the title and possibly a New Years 6 bowl bid.

Saturday
    1. Alabama has the weekend off.

2. Clemson has the weekend off

3. Georgia at Tenn ...a once great rivalry, will not be that this year. Dawgs have had the week off to regroup and heal from the big win at home vs ND. They should be ready to rumble and roll over the Vols.

4. Ohio State v Michigan State. MSU has a typical tough Dantonio defense. This is the first big test for Justin Fields. Unfortunately the MSU offense has not been great, although they did put up some numbers last week in the win at Indiana. But that's not Ohio State. I don't know what to expect, except OSU has both sides of the ball working so they should win.

5. LSU vs Utah State ...should be a walk in the park at Baton Rouge for the Tigers. BTW if you are a subscriber to The Athletic, their is an awesome article on Coach O.

6. OU at KU ...the Jalen Hurts train keeps on running. KU has been better than expected with the Hat. But he's in way over his head vs OU.

7. Auburn at Florida ...match up of two top 10 ranked teams. Both have great defenses, this should be a great game. Bo Nix true freshman going into another hostile environment at the Swamp, and Kyle Trask who took over for Franks has been very good. In fact you have to wonder if Franks will get his job back. Probably the game of the Week. I'd say the QB who has the best day will win. That's a lot to put on a True Freshman.

8. Wisconsin has the week off...oh wait they play Kent State. Who beat Irish opponent Bowling Green 62-20 last weekend. I bet they don't score 2 TD's vs Wisconsin and that Johnathon Taylor runs for over 200 yds.

9. Notre Dame has the week off...oh wait we play Bowling Green who is not even a good MAC team. Irish need this game to work out some kinks on the offense. Hopefully that gets done and backups get plenty of time on the field.

10. Florida v Auburn

Lots of other meaningful games as conference schedules are in full go now.

11. Texas travels to West Virginia. Longhorns had the week off and hopefully are fit and ready. West Virginia should be a solid win, but that's our longest trip of the year and Morgantown is never easy to play. But Longhorns can't afford to look ahead to the show down with OU in 2 weeks.

14 Iowa at #19 Michigan. Huge game for both teams. Michigan especially since the bad loss at Wisconsin. They can not afford to lose a 2nd Big 10 game.

CAL at #13 Oregon. CAL suffered their first loss last week, Oregon after the letdown vs Auburn has won 3 straight. But the important thing is that they don't have a conference loss, yet. They are the only Pac 12N team with out a loss.

Arizona at Colorado ...both teams unbeaten in Pac 12S. Big for the Conference race. I'd expect though that a 2 loss team will win the Pac 12 S.

Washington at Stanford ...Huskies already have a loss, the Cardinals are out of the race essentially. Nationally the Huskies and the Ducks seem to be the best chances for a Pac 12 team to make the CFP.

Baylor at KState ...neither is going to win the B12, but it's a big game for positioning in the bowls. Baylor coach Matt Rhule just got an extension. Baylor is undefeated but have played a weak schedule. KState has played the tougher schedule with a road win vs a SEC team. I like what Chris Kleinman is doing at KState in his first year. I think Baylor gets its first loss.

Purdue at Penn State. The Nit's are off to a really good start, Purdue has a bunch of injuries. Including their most exciting player in Rondale Moore and their QB. Hard to see the Boilermakers giving them a big game.

Tulsa at SMU ...Ponies are undefeated and ranked for the first time since the Death Penalty. They are a contender for the AAC West, they have a bunch of big games coming, but need to continue to pad the win column.

Lots of other games that should be good but don't really have much impact on the national scale, just on positioning for the bowl games

• Like Like x 3
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Things just keep going south for the Vols. The UT Police released a video of Vol player, Jeremy Banks, arrest. Where he says "where I come from we shoot cops". He's since retracted that and says he has a lot of respect for police.

Tennessee Volunteers' Jeremy Banks' arrest video released: 'Where I'm from, we shoot at cops'

Vols have enough problems with UGA coming to town.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Ralph, when you are watching college football on Saturday on your enviable-voice activated TV, remember it was me who suggested this perfect voice-activated companion for the TV! ( the video has English subtitles)

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Hold my beer.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting tidbit on MSU/OSU this weekend. Mich State has the #4 overall defense and is only giving up 55yd/game rushing. Ohio State is averaging 280yd/game. Mich State defense is an ironman group, meaning that the starting 11 plays the majority of the game, they don't rotate players very much.

Don posted in another topic that their offensive line is hurting, and this is a group that hasn't been very good on offense to start with, looking like the Spartans are going to have to hope for a very low scoring game.

6. Terry O'Keefe

From the Athletic.

I believe that this is the best team in the country, do you agree? Looking at the rankings, Clemson and Alabama just don’t appear to be as dominant this season. Clemson is having trouble on offense and Alabama’s defense looks to have some major holes. While this Ohio State team is looking as good as any team I have seen, and with no weakness in sight. — Jacob K.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

I'm certainly not buying this.

8. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I think this is a far fetched statement??

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

rat poison

10. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I agree with you Don.

11. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting tidbit on Iowa /Michigan.
    Since 2001 Iowa has 150 wins and UM 151. But Iowa has more top 10 finishes than UM.

12. Bobdawolverweasel

The guy who tweeted that was a ND alum but worked 40 years as an SID at Clemson.:confused: If this becomes law, it seems to provide a way for schools through deep pocket alums who run a business to buy players legally. In other words, if it becomes common knowledge that star players at school X are making serious money in endorsements or appearances at a local business, that will make that school very attractive to a high school 5 star recruit who looks at college as a brief stepping stone to the pros. This will really turn recruiting into the Wild West or SWC 2.0.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

And the transfer situation will get worse. This will turn into real free agency. I don't watch the NFL now because the players and team management ask the fans to support them based on emotion but they are motivated by money alone. When that attitude takes over players and management at Alabama, I will stop watching college also. My golf game will probably improve.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Terry O'Keefe

His one point that ND has more CEO's so there is deeper pockets, I wonder about the accuracy of that statement.

Plus it would seem like that most of the "pay for the image" would be more local anyway. Hard to imagine Sam Ehlinger mug getting any pay in Louisiana or Arkansas, or any other place outside Austin Texas. Maybe nearby cities, car dealerships would pay him, but I do wonder how much $$ this will generate for guys, everybody is talking big dollars, and maybe for Tua or Trevor or Sam. Also everybody is talking about regulating that money so that it's in a fund that the kid gets access to when he graduates. But isn't part of this in response to players who arrive at college with no spending money, can't take their girl friend to a movie and McDonalds, stuff like that? So it doesn't help them now.

15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

If the NCAA moves now to disqualify those schools who are in California from qualifying for National Championships once the law is in force, it might give those states contemplating similar laws pause for thought. Additionally they should not recognize wins against other schools who are outside California and play by NCAA rules. The road to hell is paved with good intentions like this law.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry O'Keefe

Plus even around Houston, there is really only a couple of Texans raking in any endorsement money. JJ Watt of course, and I do see Deshaun Watson and D'andre Hopkins in some ads. But that's pretty much it. About 3 or 4 Astros appear in ads for HEB, a grocery chain. That's not many guys. So I will be curious how many High School players end up with endorsement ads in Tuscaloosa, South Bend, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Gainesville, etc. As a result of going to those schools.

17. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

In Tuscaloosa, someone will sponsor every single 4 and 5 star kid that wants the Tide. It would be state-wide, but they'd pay for it.

18. Bobdawolverweasel

Good points, Terry but what about the deep pocket businessman/booster/
    bagman who now is given a legal path to funnel money to players? They were giving money away in the past without expecting a return on their investment. Now they have a legally insulated way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

"If the NCAA moves now to disqualify those schools who are in California from qualifying for National Championships once the law is in force, it might give those states contemplating similar laws pause for thought. Additionally they should not recognize wins against other schools who are outside California and play by NCAA rules. The road to hell is paved with good intentions like this law."

Good post Gipper.

No CFB fan wants to see the George Steinbrenner Yankees of college football win the NC every year because they are so well funded. USC would probably be that team coached by the mercenary Urban Meyer. The only people happy with that would be the Trog fans.

• [​IMG] Like x 1

20. Terry O'Keefe

I do agree that the "bagman" now has a legal route. I'm just curious how all of this will work out. Will the top rated players go where the money is highest? Will all the players get something? How is the locker room dynamic going to work when that 5* freshman is getting a lot of money and not really contributing very much, while Jr's/Sr's who play anonymous positions like G/C or NT don't get so much or maybe anything.

How are these contracts going to be worked out any way, can outside players come to a Tua as a HS kid and offer him money if he'll come to Alabama in the form of a commercial endorsement. What are HS Associations going to do with a player who verbals to ND, Mich, Ohio State, Alabama, Florida as a Jr on the promise of $$ when he enrolls? If there is no contract then that money can go away if he's injured as Sr. or doesn't play as well, and if there is a contract will he lose his HS eligibility?

I do know that what ever shakes out the rich will get richer. The lower end of the Power 5 will drift further away from the upper end of the Power 5. Sort of like in Pro Sports with small market teams vs big market teams.