Week 3 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 11, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Definitely more games this week that aren't buy games...but still quite a few of those.

Thursday Night is back but no good games

Miami v Bethune Cookman ...a name the score game.

Friday Night is a little more interesting

Virginia At Maryland ...is it football or lacrosse? :D

Saturday. Lets see what's going on in the top 10.

1. Georgia vs So.Carolina Gamecocks were hoping for a big year and it still might be but that loss to UNC put a bit of a damper Georgia should roll'em

2. Michigan vs Bowling Green ....still no Jim Harbaugh still no problem. I saw were M QB is completing 87% of his passes. Whoa..that's some big numbers.

3. FSU at B.C. Should not be a problem for the 'Noles,

4. Texas vs Wyoming Longhorns vs Cowboys, usually out on the Range it's the Cowboys who run the herd. But this is football, Wyoming is undefeated and they did beat a B12 team in Texas Tech. Longhorns can't take the week off and just expect that showing up and flashing the hook'em is all they need to do.
    5. USC at Arizona St. ASU has a true freshman at QB, and USC has a #1 NFL draft pick and the Heisman Trophy winner at QB. Figure it out.

6. Ohio State v Westen Kentucky . WKU is undefeated but don't pay any attention to our OSU crew...blowout!!

7. Penn State at Illinois Nit so far look to have their best team in quite a while, loaded on offense. Not the same for the Illini.

8.Washington at MSU Michael Pennix Jr off to a great start for the Huskies, MSU bound to be a bit shocked with Tucker suspended. Pennix likes his return to the Big 10.

9. Notre Dame v Central Michigan Irish can't afford to look ahead to the Buckeyes, We won last week but ti wasn't a pretty win, lots of work needs to be done with the OL and the team discipline. CMU was beaten soundly by he pre-scandal Spartans so it should be a win for the Irish.

10. Alabama vs South Florida. I'm sure this will be an intense week of practice for the Tide. They had a lot of penalties, something that plagued them last year and the OL didn't protect Milroe. Not sure what can be done with Milroe, as noted he's incredibly talented athletically and has a canon for an arm If they go with him they have to hope he'll grow every game. But that shouldn't be a problem vs USF.

11. Tenn at Fla At one time in the 90's this was the game of the year in the SEC. Spurrier quipping about thos Orange britches and how you can't spell Citrus bowl without UT. This year not so much, although it's been awhile since the Vols won in Gainesville. Gators need this game pretty bad after the game in Utah. I guessing they will be playing Rocky Top loudlyat the end of this game.

Best of the rest.

LSU at Miss State. Nobody needs a win moe than Brian Kelly and the Tigers. They have way more talent than MSU. But it has to play to it's potential

Kansas St at Missouri ..KState off to a good start and are expected to challenge Texas in the B12. Missouri has played an easy schedule and are undefeated. Should be a good game.

San Deigo State at Oregon State The Beavers have looked good so far and SDSU has been one of the better Mtn West programs. Not to mention that they are likely future conference rivals. SDSU did lose to UCLA and the Beavers are ranked

Minnesota at Duke ...are the Dukies for real, do the Gophers have their oars in the water? Good game

BYU at Arkansas Hogs are tough at home and have a strong QB in Jefferson.

Colorado State at Colorado. Media Hype game of the week. Gameday is gong to Boulder for this game, more screen time for Deion just what we need! Everybody is saying Colorado is legit, Mabye they are, I don't know. But a loss here would be hard for Deion to swallow after 2 high profile wins.

Good Luck fellas

2. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

College GameDay is coming to Colorado Saturday. Talk about ESPN striking while the iron is hot lol. Funny how they’re covering this “game” (should be a blowout with C State) now before the Buff’s play Usc and Oregon in a few weeks. Espn is covering their bases here it seems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I wonder what the future is for ESPN? With all of the new alignments and TV contracts they are going to be hard pressed to keep up their dominance they have enjoyed for years?o_O

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but these days I'm "Who cares?" re: ESPN. Ever since they decided that Chris Fowler was their #1 play-by-play guy, and threw Karl Ravetch at the wall for baseball fans, I've become disinterested in the network. There are other reasons, but I've said enough, and I'm sure no one cares, which is OK.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Sorry to upset you Sid:(, I have never been a fan of ESPN either, I was simply throwing out a question for discussion.:eek:

6. Terry O'Keefe

I'm sort of agnostic when it comes to ESPN and other content providers. I just want to see the games I want to see. I do think though that there is going to be a shift to pay streaming services. Peacock, etc. It's a way to drive people to subscribe even if they can cancel anytime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much the same way, I'm all about the games. I'm not really sensitive to the network or the announcers either frankly, if they're a problem or get in the way I can always hit the mute button. I have my favorites of course but pretty much don't really care. That said, I will say this for one time only, I did watch the BTN broadcast of the Buckeye - YSU game and the former tight end from that TUN Jake Butt was the analyst and I was impressed with the young man, did a really good job esp given the significant handicaps he must overcome ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Yeah that's a terrible last name!:D

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Jake would now be a starter in the NFL had he not, in his senior year, sustained a devastating knee injury playing in the Orange Bowl against FSU. Glad that he has a shot at a promising career as a broadcaster.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BuckeyeT

I remember him as being a fine player, I guess I was unaware of the injury. Seems to be a bright young man with a good future. Always happy to see a good kid overcome some early bad decisions ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

To be sure, I am also. I've never let a booth guy sway me from watching a game I want to see, whether ESPN or any other network. Nor have I watched a game ONLY because of who was in the booth. My concern with ESPN is only for a pattern of decisions which appear to have been based more on seniority than on ability. Having said that, who am I to judge someone else's ability? I just know what/who I like and don't like to listen to, which I think (hope ;)) is pretty normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Any network that fires David Pollack and replaces him with Pat McAfee probably should go out of business. Like the rest.of yall, I watch for the game not the announcers, although it has to be really good game for me.to put up with Brock Huard.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Terry O'Keefe

Ryan Day has settled on McCord as the Buckeyes QB for the remaining games in 2023.

From comments I have seen from our OSU contingent, not a surprise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BuckeyeT

No surprise, long suspected but last game performance solidified the choice. Showed more consistency, poise and accuracy tho doesn't have the same threat to pull it down and hurt somebody, still plenty of mobility to move around in the pocket. Having an extra year in the system and being Harrison Jr's best pal and high school QB has to help as well. Big road trip coming up soon, poise will be at a premium for the young QB. Each of the 3 QB's that Day has had as starters in Columbus have all been Heisman finalists and 1st round draft picks. Surely Day's system and coaching helps and Hartline's stable of WR as well but they have also all been very talented guys. The jury is still out on whether young McCord has that potential, but I think he's gonna be just fine. I'm a very patient fan, he's got 2 weeks to get there !!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. BuckeyeT

I agree with you KP, I was a fan of Pollack's not so much McAfee for me personally but I guess ESPN was drawn by McAfee's following among the younger demographics. He's a big draw on social media with over 5 million followers and Pollack with maybe 1/10th of that. With all of their financial challenges, maybe ESPN's focused on broadening their reach with the younger crowd...only thing that makes sense to me

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Pollack knows college football. McAfee yells really well.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

They have a ridiculous deal with the SEC and currently the ACC. But the SEC is keeping ESPN a float. It’s a shame, as someone who has worked for ESPN in the past, the company has really fallen off a cliff in years past. I miss the days of ESPN Radio’s Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick, Collin Cowherd, and SVP and Russillo. That was the golden age of ESPN radio. Anyone else miss the great late Stuart Scott? Boo yah!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

In my humble opinion, Fox Sports, outside of Skip Bayless is far superior to anyone else right now. Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt are idles of mine and I’ll watch them call a corn hole tournament! A far distant second to fox would be CBS Sports. Ian Eagle, Jim Nantz and Brad Nessler are under appreciated as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  19. SanDiegoKid89

SanDiegoKid89 Member

Love Pollack. Macafee not so much… what do you expect from a WWE announcer lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BuckeyeT

I do....he was "as cool as the other side of the pillow". Loved that guy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1