Week 3 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Man already? :cool:

Big Game Friday Night?

Oh yeah...Cougar on Cougar. In NRG in Houston. Houston Cougars have D'Eriq King a dynamic QB and the Wazzu Cougars also have a dynamic QB who is so far lighting up opponents. So I expect the first one to 60 wins! :eek: But seriously the Washington State version of the Cougars need to win to help the overall perception of the Pac12.

UNC at Wake Forrest. Mack Brown is undefeated with a true freshman at QB, and he's played 2 power 5 opponents. While Wake is also undefeated but vs much less competition and no power 5 opponents.

Saturday
    Not a lot of big games. As far as I can tell no top 25 team plays a ranked foe this weekend. There are some games that will be interesting.

KState at Miss State. Both undefeated, KState has a new hot coach who was the Nick Saban of FCS football at NDState. Should be a good game.

Air Force at Colorado Again both undefeated. Although Air Force has only played 1 game and it was vs Colgate, while Colorado has beaten both Col State and Nebraska so it might not be that great of a game. But like Army at Michigan, if you don't see the triple option much it can be a problem even though you are the better team.

Alabama at So. Carolina The Gamecocks are a step above Duke and New Mexico State so Alabama might get tested a little on the road.

Stanford at UCF ...Stanford traveling all the way across the country is unusual, they usually never get further east than the Central time zone. UCF undefeated and have a freshman QB, Stanford coming off a beat down by USC and have a RS Soph in Davis Mills who was a highly rated 5* coming out of HS. Loss here for the Cardinals hurts the perception of the Pac12.

USC at BYU. BYU coming off a big road win at Knoxville, but I doubt if they can hang with the new USC Air Raid offense.

Arizona State at Mich State...man the Pac12 is getting out on the road this weekend, they need to win them all.

Iowa at Iowa State. Iowa preseaon was the favorite in the Big 10 W, Iowa State was one of the upper tier Big 12 teams. Nothing has really changed. I expect that this will be a low scoring affair as both teams like to play defense.

Fla at Kentucky....this is usually a win for the Gators, and likely will continue. Kentucky lost their QB this past weekend.

Clemson at Syracuse...might have been an interesting game except Maryland destroyed Syracuse last weekend. I doubt it was because the 'Cuse were peaking ahead to Clemson.

TCU at Purdue. So this could be a really good game. TCU is always a well coached team they aren't supposed to be one of the better Big12 teams but you never know. Purdue's offense really was humming vs Maryland. Gary Patterson is a defensive minded coach. We'll see what happens.

OU at UCLA ...ordinarily this would be a huge game, two big time programs. But so far under Chip Kelly the Bruins haven't looked like a big time program. I'll be surprised if OU doesn't hang a 50 spot on them.

Texas Tech at Arizona ..only reason this is here is because Tech usually doesn't play a lot of Power 5 non-conf games. They have a new coach and they are undefeated. It'd be good for the B12 for them to get the win.

2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Speaking of UCLA, when we were in the market for a new Head Coach Chip Kelly came up and we thought we had him and were very excited.

However he ditched us for UCLA and most of us Gator fans are now glad that happened.

3. Terry O'Keefe

His whole approach to the UCLA gig has been odd IMHO. It was well known that he really didn't like college recruiting and preferred to stay in the NFL, but no jobs were likely. While I of course don't know how hard he's worked at recruiting, but the results have been mediocre if you go by the rankings.

Gators got a college coach who wants to be in college and is clearly doing the work to be successful.

4. Terry O'Keefe

5. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I never was of the mindset that Chip Kelly would be a good fit for Florida and I was glad he passed on the job.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Lynn Swann out /resigned at USC. Pat Chun at Washington State the top target?

Step 1. Call Rick George (and get turned down).

Step 2: Interview a handful of qualified candidates who might consider the job.
    UNLV athletic director Desiree Reed-Francois
    Colorado State athletic director Joe Parker
    Iowa State’s Jamie Pollard
    Villanova’s Mark Jackson

Step 3: Hire the no-brainer, absolute No. 1 option:
    Washington State’s Pat Chun.

7. Gator Bill

Thanks for listing that link to the odds Terry. I have looked for a good place and only found ones that wanted my money.

8. Terry O'Keefe

Alabama not esp happy with the start time of the So. Miss game. I don't blame them. It's too damn hot to sit in the stands at noon in the South. More night games! But TV demands more games to fill the whole day.

9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Unfortunately college football AD's have sold their souls for the money!:(

10. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Wah... our game with Auburn has been announced as 2:30... worst game time to have in the early season. :eek:

11. Don Ballard

I agree Scott, we have started off with three 12:00 noon games. Really screws up the day here in central ohio with so many fall jobs that need to be completed. Outside work here comes before football!:)

12. Terry O'Keefe

Apparently the heat only affects the defense as I didn't see any offensive player for LSU go down like their defensive players. Maybe the A/C was working on the offensive side of the visitors locker room! o_O

13. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, last Saturday, the kickoff in Tuscaloosa was at 3 pm and the temperature around 99 and the heat index was above 105. I took my sisters to the game. The one that lives in League City couldn't take it and we had to leave at halftime for her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Don Ballard

Way too hot to sit out there in those kind of temperatures. Sometimes the best of plans do not work out. You made the right decision for your sister.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

The last football game I went to was with my wife several years ago when we saw the Packers at Lambeau play the Browns. The cold and rain was miserable and caused us to leave before the 4th quarter. Sitting in front of us were three middle aged women who were drinking tall boys all game long. I bet they stayed the whole game and I don’t think any of them ever got up for a restroom break while we were there. Packer women are pretty hardy and seem to be equipped with elastic bladders.

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

kp... no arguments. My point was - we all have to deal with it.
    My preference would be for everyone's games in Sept and early October to be night games.
    (assuming you are in the heat belt)
    Heck I laughed last week when they announced that at Clemson it was 96 degrees, the hottest temp at kickoff ever for them.
    Ha, I've been to day games in College Station when it was well over 100 degrees, and even middle 90's as we're walking back to the car at 9/10pm after a night game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gator Bill

We have tickets to two Gator games this year, Tennessee and the next week Towson State. Tennessee is a noon game and will likely reinforce our decision to give up our season tickets. My wife Jeanne cannot stand noon games and I feel much the same.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Bobda, they probably were wearing Depends.

19. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, I know. The thermometer in the car as we drove home said it was 102. That was probably not real but it doesn't do that often.

20. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Noon games is a big reason I also gave up my season tickets.
    Having to leave Tampa at 7 am only to go bake in the sun in the Swamp just didn't make sense.