Week 3 College Football 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Nothing of much interest till Saturday. I guess Maryland v Illinois is interesting only because Illinois after getting the W vs Nebraska has been embarassed by UTSA and UVA, so now they are back in the Big 10 schedule, has Bret Bilema got something figured out yet? If not Maryland is going to run it up on them. Maryland beat a pretty decent West Virginia team to open the season and killed FCS Howard last weekend. I think the Illini are a major rebuild, so hopefully the fans are patient as their is likely to be a lot of pain this season.

Top 10 games.

1. Alabama @ Fla for the game of the week. Gators have a 2 QB system, and their young freshman, Anthony Richardson, has been spectacular when he's been in there, and the starter, Emory Jones has been good but not spectacular. That will be the story of the game. Alabama defense, inspite of losing one of their starters at LB is as good as that Georgia defense and QB Bryce Young is off to a spectacular start. I do imagine that this game will not be a repeat of last seasons SEC Championship game, which was an exciting shootout. I don't know about the Gator defense. In the swamp I expect the Gators will put up a good fight but that the Tide will be too much for them.

2. Georgia vs South Carolina. Gamecocks are in a heap of trouble in Athens that's all there is to say, a narrow win vs East Carolina is not encouraging that Shane Beamer will have any answers for that Dawg defense.

3. OU vs Nebraska. Cornhuskers come in riding a 2 game win streak during which they looked much better than that opening loss to Illinois. They will leave Norman likely needing a lot of tape and bandages. It's not 1971.

4. Oregon vs Stoney Brook, The newly minted top 5 Oregon Ducks get the closest thing to an open date with the Seawolves.

5. Iowa vs Kent State Somebody in the scheduling dept at Kent State needs replacing, the Golden Flashes have already been sacrificial lambs to Texas A&M. Not fair to ask them to give up their bodies again so soon just for a big paycheck.

6. Clemson vs Ga.Tech The Yellow Jackets aren't a terrible team, they have a young QB who has some wheels and the coach is in his 2nd season. But they aren't Georgia and Clemson will get well facing a team that they have more talent in their 2 deep than Ga.Tech has as starters.

7. Texas A&M vs New Mexico The Lobos are just what the Aggies need this week, a chance to get the new QB untracked and rolling.

8. Cincinnati @ IU A big test for both teams. IU was rolled by Iowa and Cincy is off to a good start vs MAC competition. This game is a must win for the Bearcats in terms of credibility and maintaining their shot at the CFP. It's also a gut check for the Hoosiers who desperately need to cleanse themselves of the Iowa beat down.

9. Ohio State vs Tulsa Golden Hurricanes have lost 4 straight games by a total of 12 points. This weekend they will be down 12 points at the end of the 1st qtr. Buckeyes will get off to a fast start and finish fast as well. Tulsa gets a check.

10. Penn State vs Auburn A huge game this weekend, for both Teams. Penn State no doubt has visions of challenging for the CFP, and Auburn needs the win vs a top 10 rated PSU to establish themselves. Auburn has feasted on low hanging fruit so far and it's the first big game for new coach Byron Harsin. James Franklin is looking for a rebound from a disappointing season in 2020. Not often a SEC team comes north to play in home game in Big 10 country.

Other games.

Va.Tech @ West Virginia. Va.Tech got the big win at home vs ranked UNC. Much needed, now they get to go to Morgantown to play the Mountaineers. WVA is a decent team, and the crowd will be rowdy. Must win for Justin Fuente and the Hokies.

Mich State @ Miami How often do we see a Big 10 team in Florida outside of Bowl season? Mich State off to a good start, Miami got plowed by Alabama and narrowly escaped App State. I'll be surprised if they can handle the revamped MSU.

Minnesota @ Colorado A couple of teams who need a win vs a good team. Both have played well and lost a game. Minn lost to Ohio State and Colorado lost to A&M. Both those losses were expected, Minn is without their AA RB in Mohamed Ibriham. Colorado I think is healthy.

Purdue @ Notre Dame. Old rivalry rekindled. Irish have been living on the edge while Purdue has a solid win over Oregon State and wiped out woeful UConn. The Boilermakers have deep sixed more than a few ND teams in years past. The again have a good QB, and they also have an AA 1st round draft pick going against our banged up LT position. I pray for Jack Coan.

USC @ Wash State. Trojans coming off a disappointing loss to Stanford. Washington State is 1-1 as well but no good wins. Not sure what will happen here. Clay Helton a really nice guy, will be in deep trouble if he loses this game. Not that he isn't already in deep trouble.

UVA @ UNC UNC was considered an outside contender to maybe take down Clemson, instead they couldn't take down Va.Tech. Sam Howell was 1-2 in the Heisman race with Spencer Rattler. Now both are struggling to regain their momentum. UVA is a good not great team. UNC can not lose this game.

Tulane @ Ole Miss Tulane almost beat OU at Norman, and they scored 69 points last weekend vs Morgan State. Could we have a shootout?

Stanford @ Vanderbilt. Clark Lea era at Vandy off to a slow start, won't get any better this weekend.

Rice @ Texas Sark has said that Casey Thompson will start vs Rice and that Hudson Card who was beaten up by Arkansas will play. Sark better put a beat down against the Owls. Things go south quick at Texas.

ASU @ BYU The Cougars off an upset of Utah get another ranked foe in Arizona State who seems to be shaking off the NCAA investigation and suspension of a couple of coaches. BYU will be a B12 member soon. Go Coogs!

Iowa State at UNLV Cyclones off to a slow start for a team that returns 20 or 21 starters from last season including Brock Purdy at QB And Breece Hall at RB and they have a TE who is also well thought of to boot. Pre-season top 10 headed downward if they don't right the ship. Big win here would help a lot.

Fresno State @ UCLA . Fresno State played solidly against Oregon losing by only a TD at Autzen Stadium. So they should be a good test for UCLA.

Northern Illinois @ Michigan. I'd expect the Wolverines to find that passing game vs this Huskies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Nice write up Terry.

As to the Gators I am not very optimistic about this game. Even though we only lost by 6 in the championship game against Bama last year the Tide scored almost at will. Of course I am hoping for a Gator win but the realist in me expects we could well lose by double digits.

But hope springs eternal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Bill, Alabama did not look as.sharp.against Mercer as they did against Miami. This year's offense is not as explosive as.last year's but I think our defense is better. Should be a good game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Terry O'Keefe

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

We have lost our most experienced safety, Proctor for the season with a serious leg injury. Our defense situation is just deterioting when we need all the help we can muster.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Don I'll trade ya a DB for a QB! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

I see that Ryan Day is going to take a hard look at the defense. What do you think will be the result, Don?

8. Terry O'Keefe

Arkansas, fined 100k, for it's fans rushing the field after defeating #23 Texas.

9. Don Ballard

Score more points than the opposition!:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Terry O'Keefe

11. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

How much did the Big XII fine them for all the horns down?
    :D

12. Terry O'Keefe

Forfeit the win, my feelings were hurt bad enough with out the taunting! :D:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Gator Bill

I think you are being very generous kp.

Unfortunately I see a relatively easy win for Alabama.

14. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I don't know about that Bill. Watch the first quarter of the Alabama vs Mercer game.

15. Terry O'Keefe

We'll know a lot more about both Alabama and Florida after this game. Florida is more talented and better coached than Miami, and they are kind of getting disrespected in the media. It's a home game, I will be surprised if they don't come out with their hair on fire and give the Tide a great game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gator Bill

Hope you are right Terry.

17. Terry O'Keefe

Andy Staples did an article on "the best jobs in college football" meaning Head Coach.

Full Top 10 list:
    - Alabama (55 first-place votes)
    - Ohio State (11)
    - Georgia (11)
    - Texas (11)
    - LSU (14)
    - USC (5)
    - Clemson (5)
    - Oklahoma (3)
    - Notre Dame (2)
    - Florida (0)

18. Terry O'Keefe

Bob Stoops today was talking about the OU/Neb rivalry back in the old Big 8 days. Said the most impressive thing was that Barry Switzer won 12 of 16 Big 8 titles when he was coaching at OU and 3 National Titles, right in the middle of a great run at Neb by Dr. Tom.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Mullin said today that Richardson is ready to go.

Saban said 2 QB'S, both athletes makes it easier to prepare for, the do the same things.

20. Don Ballard

• Agree Agree x 1