Week 2

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well interesting week for sure, some teams who were expecting blowouts or big wins got wins but closer than they thought they'd be.

1. Ohio State looked sluggish and flat vs Ohio; but if I'm a Buckeye fan I'm still pretty pumped about this team, esp if Beanie Wells is healthy. BTW all the talking heads said there was an obvious clip on the punt return for a TD. So a big whew for blind refs!! :)

2. The Irish have to be concerned about their OL, they could not dominate a DL that was missing starters and wasn't that good to start with. The running game was weak and we were looking for it to be strong. The positive is that Jimmy Clausen is definitely healthy and better than last year and Golden Tate is also seemingly ready for primetime. Unless that was just first week jitters and all, we will be lucky to win more than 6 games. I hope I'm wrong of course.

3. I see that Aggies have a new QB who looked pretty good. But it was a pretty ragged game and with the intensity that the Hurricanes showed last night in Gainesville, the Ags might not get the payback that they desire when Miami comes to town. But I'm sure those Ag's who've been calling for Johnson (the new QB who was the popular backup) are happy.

4. Michigan still doesn't look very good on offense, that is good for the Irish as we don't either and our type of offense is the type of offense that the UM defense is designed to beat. So it could be a very low scoring game next weekend.

5. Gators finally got it going in the 4th Qtr. Miami defense gave them fits though and maybe some SEC DCoordinators saw somethings they could use. But Gator speed and Tebows strong arm let them make the big playes they needed to finally pull away from Miami. UF still looks to be the best SEC team right now.

6. East Carolina are these guys for real??? Are they going to be the Boise State for 2008? They have 2 more very winnable games vs BCS conference foes before they start CUSA play, if they are undefeated with 4 BCS conference victories they could come the closest of any non-BCS conference team to a slot in the big game if no BCS conference team is undefeated. Probably won't make it buttttttttttttttttttttttt.........

7. Oklahoma, I hate to say it but it looks like OU is going to have one of those years. Sam Bradford has targets and can hit them, they have the usual stout defense. This is probably the best B12 in years, but still looks like nobody can beat OU.

8. Texas Colt McCoy has another very good game. He's healthy and stronger than ever. I don't think he'll be enough to beat OU but if he stays healthy we could win 10 games again.

9. Texas Tick: unimpressive win vs Nevada, Tick didn't even throw for 300 yds. I think we can say that talk of a B12 championship in Lubbutt is premature to say the least.

10. I thought WVA was overated to start the year. They'll be a good team but too much was lost for them to not miss a beat. I still love Pat White, but he's going to miss RR.

11. ACC sucks, that is all. The best ACC team barely beat a midlevel (at best) SEC team at home. ACC sucks.

12. I want Corey to explain why Oregon State didn't send their football team to play PSU.

13. Wisconsin. I don't know how good they are but they came out sluggish and got hit in the mouth...so they got right back up and hit back, and hit back, and hit back...yikes..don't rile a Badger!! :)

14. Is there a Heisman candidate out there? Nobody getting off to the type of start that leads to hype.

15. Oh yeah and that PAC10 offical who called Jake Locher for unsportsmanlike for that toss of the football should be fired. He won't be the PAC10 has the worst officals in sports and they cover up for them. We know at ND and need I remind you how they screwed over Oklahoma.

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Excellent analysis Terry.

I love it when the members here get objective more than subjective.

Doesn't always go that way.

There are some definite mysteries out there as a result of this weekend's play and that just makes the rest of the season more to look forward to.

On the ACC...is Miami's defense capable of that sort of hard hitting intensity the rest of the season? I knew they should be fast and athletic but they laid some hits like the Miami of old. If Marve comes around even more they can win the ACC.

Ohio State has not improved offensively from last season it apears to me.
    If nothing changes by Sat. I see USC controlling the game with their defense but OSU should hold it close with it's own defense....at least until they wear down at the end if the offense doesn't help them out.

ND-Mich looks like a very even....low scoring game at present.
    I don't see more than 38 points in that one with the winner too close to call.

I agree that ND's outlook dropped a notch with the trouble they experienced with SDSt.
    8 wins looks like a ton so maybe 7-5 is about as good it will get for the Irish.

I think UF did have troubling trouble running the ball vs. UM.
    I hope Meyer can fix what the problem was before two weeks from now because Chavis for sure was watching.

Florida's depth and Tebow is a strong combo though plus that Gator defense looks nothing like the bunch that was on the field last year.....thankfully.

3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

2nd week in a row and Docs article still doesn't cover the now 2-0 Huskers.

East Coast bias has nothing over SkyBox Bias.... :lol: :p

4. Terry O'Keefe

Corn Report: The Crop is strong this year, with the demand for ethanol still high Neb farmers are reaping record profits and all are getting the latest and greatest John Deeres for themselves and sending their ladies on shopping sprees to Walmart!! :)

In other related news, Nebraska beat San Jose State 35-12 and more importantly Joe Ganz again powered the fantasy team owned by LoneStarIrish to another big victory in the Skybox Conference!! :)

5. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Now that's R-E-S-P-E-C-T... :lol:

6. jif5

jif5 Well-Known Member

:( HUSKERAMA......... did i ever tell you about the time i drove cross country ( and across NE ) ?

7. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Speaking of the Skybox Conference, I score the 2nd most points yesterday and have the good fortune to draw the LoneStarIrish who scored the most.

Blah!

Your team is a powerhouse Terry.

Back to real football, nice report Terry. If I hadn't seen how Ohio State operates since Tressel became coach I would think they are in trouble next week. However Ohio State is one of those teams that win a lot of ugly games but then when they need to play very well do just that.

So I will be tuned in to that game next week.

8. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more.
    The rule for unsportsmanlike conduct specifically states that throwing the ball high in the air is prohibited. It was a clear voilation of the rules.
    I will agree that the RULE is pretty stupid. But how can you blame the ref for enforcing the rules? Is a ref supposed to enforce the rules he agrees with and ignore the ones he doesn't like? So what do you do with a ref who enforces the rules? You fire him? That leaves us with the officials that don't enforce ALL the rules. It's the ACC.
    Oh and what did the coach who lost because of the call? (Actually he lost because his kicking team collapsed like a house of cards)
    http://deseretnews.com/article...0256933,00.html

9. HoustonLarry

HoustonLarry New Member

Florida-UM

<t>I watced every snap of the Gators game last night. Happy the Gators beat those gangsters from Miami. I cease to be amazed at the talent level of those programs. Shannon is bring Miami back and they ran some young guys out there last night that we read about during the recruiting season that have stars written all over them. The just need game time but what speed and size they have. Miami will be a probelm again and soon.<br/>
    Tebow continues to amaze me as well as the Gators speed. What a program they have going down there.</t>

10. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Some comments on Terry's comments:

-On the replay video, of the OSU runback, I saw what appeared to be a clear block in the back. I guess I'm not the only one. BUT....who can say OSU would not have scored anyway on that possession?

-Re: Florida-Miami. I'm wondering about the rationale for kicking a FG with 25 seconds left and a 20 point lead. I didn't like it and I'm pretty sure the Miami coach didn't either, based on how he barely shook hands with Meyer after the game. Aparently no one else cares, so I guess it's a non-issue.

-Re: ND. I'm afraid yesterday's performance sucked the air out of my optimism balloon. It's going to be a tough week anticipating what might happen in the Michigan game. Nevertheless, it beats a loss, which effectively would have ended our season.

-Re: the Washington penalty. Looks like Gip and I are the only two people in America who believe that a rule is a rule and violating it requires a penalty. It really doesn't matter what you think of the rule. It is clear what is not allowed, and the WA QB did exactly what is not allowed. The object of derision should be the coach for not teaching the rules to his players and not training them how to act in the end zone. But it makes a better story to gang up on the refs, and there is no way the media is going to criticize TW. This is yet another unfortunate example of how our society loses focus when something evokes an emotional reaction, forgetting about responsibility for adhering to rules no matter how how you might feel about them.

By the way, If WA let the extra point get blocked, who can say that the same thing would not have happened without the penalty?

11. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

....it was a for sure block in the back. No doubt....I saw it on the play and immediately said "oh gee whiz, darn it" or something to that effect. :wink: It should have been called and as I saw another replay there was another hold away from the ball. Oh well.....we got lucky on that one.

Sid, I don't know if we would have scored on that possession or not, but the kids had by that time had begun to awaken and started playing much better football....displaying at least some degree of urgency and match the intensity displayed by a gutsy OU bunch.

The OU kids played their a$$es off...my hats off to them. We dodged a bullet....

12. Terry O'Keefe

OK I see Sids and Gips point, but the PAC10 refs are still a bunch of lyin' cheatin' no count cowardly blind as bats and biased bunch of guys. :wink:

And I do think even without the punt return, OSU would have won that game they the air had gone out of the Ohio bubble by then.

Also I failed to mention that besides the ACC getting off to a bad start the Big East is also getting off to a slow start as well. In previous years their top teams would usually all be undefeated till midseason and then they would start playing each other, but the preseason favorites Pitt and WVa have both been exposed, Pitt by a MAC team and WVA by a CUSA team. Louisville doesn't look great and Rutgers was beaten by a WAC team at home. So I don't think we'll see a Big East team in the top 10 unless So.Fla can make a 6-0 or 7-0 start and I don't think that will happen with Kansas comming to town next week.

Terry

13. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I'm with Gip and Sid on the Pac-10 call......I don't think they had any option but to make the call. As they showed on TV, the rulebook is very specific on that particular infraction.....

14. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Actually, if you look at Oregon State under Riley... what you saw Saturday was pretty par for the course. They are the one of the Pac10 teams who has traditionally played poorly in nonconference, but they win their bowl games. Last year, I believe they were dismantled at Cincinnati.

The biggest difference I see in this Oregon State team and other Beaver squads, is that they don't have the power running game that Riley is noted for in the past. They are a one trick pony that relies on an inconsistent QB. If he gets hot, look out.. However, he is down more than he is up. They don't figure to be very good this year it would appear. Let's not forget, they were beaten by Stanford to open the season.

15. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

No I noticed that as well Sid. I think this is a case in which Shannon is doing it right. He's just shaking the guy's hand and moving on. There's no point in crying over it.

I find myself oddly in agreement with Herbie about that matchup. Florida won the game and as Bill had been saying all week, where their program is now is at a higher level than Miami's. However, Miami was chalk-full of defensive studs. If their offense gives them any help at all, that's a different ball game. Florida's playmakers were left on the field all day and you knew sooner or later it was going to break... I liked what I saw of the Miami offense, its just too young. If I were a Cane fan, I'd feel very good about my immediate future.

16. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I agree on the Cane defense being chock full of young talent....talent that just might carry the Canes to an ACC title if the offense chips in.

On that offense....part of their lack of scoring I want to say was the direct result of some not so bad defense from Florida as well.

17. Gator Bill

Here's an interesting stat I picked up from GatorCountry about the starting team for the two teams.

I cannot vouch that it is completely accurate.

Miami-----------------------------------UF

Offense---------------------------------Offense
    Sr-3------------------------------------Sr-5 (includes Tart and K Moore)
    Jr-4-------------------------------------Jr-2
    So-3------------------------------------So-3
    Fr-1-------------------------------------Fr-1

Defense---------------------------------Defense
    Sr-4------------------------------------Sr-0
    Jr-4-------------------------------------Jr-3
    So-2------------------------------------So-8
    Fr-1 Fr-0

Miami starters---------------------------Florida Starters
    Sr-7------------------------------------Sr-5
    Jr-8-------------------------------------Jr-5
    So-5------------------------------------So-11
    Fr-2------------------------------------Fr-1

18. Terry O'Keefe

Interesting Bill, the announcers certainly really played up the amount of youth that Miami had on the field. I'm not suprised that UF has a lot of young players as well as the 4th year players at UF would be the combined Zook/Meyer class which wasn't as highly rated as the 3 classes below them. Considering that it makes sense that you are a Soph/Jr dominated team.

We have the same thing for the Irish.

Terry

19. Gator Bill

Yes Terry, Weis and Meyer came at the same time and have recruited very similar according to the recruiting rankings. However I think Meyer had more good players from Zook that Weis had when he came in.

Miami is a very young team with half their class being freshmen and sophmores. But apparently their starters aren't as young. I did hear that if you go to their two deep they have 22 freshmen and sophmores .

But that starting lineup isn't as young as was being presented.

If it is correct that is and I think it is because I saw another similar posts with names.

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I don't think the "Excessive Celebration" penalty is called with any consistancy, and that is the problem. I think there were several instances of equal if not greater demonstrations in that game and others that were not called. Throwing the ball high into the air is not the only component of excessive celebration. I agree with the others, a rule is a rule, just apply the rule equally. 8)