Week 2 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 5, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

OK we had some big upsets week 1, Colorado and Duke. Well Texas State but nobody cares about those guys!

Top 10 and who they are playing.

1. UGA v Ball State ..momma's don't watch, your boys are going to get run over by a speeding Georgia Squad!

2. Michigan v UNLV ...still no Jim Harbaugh but still no problem.

3. Alabama v Texas ...This weekends game of the century! Doubtful that Texas can go on the road and win this, but if they play them close and Ewers has a good game then a lot is ahead for the Longhorns. Get blown out and oh boy we've got trouble. The Tide apparently have found the QB in Milroe who had a terrific game v Middle Tenn showing an arm that wasn't there last year when he stepped in for Bryce Young. He will stress the Texas defens for sure with that combination of power runner and thrower.

4. FSU v Southern Miss ...'Noles are good but can't come out flat.

5. Ohio State v Youngstown State ...Buckeyes working out the kinks, this is a good game to do that.

6. USC v Stanford ...lhasn't been much of a game for the last few years, probably wont' be one this year. Caleb Williams show continues it's run.

7.Penn State v Delaware ...Nit's QB Drew Allar looks good and PSU is poised to have a really good season. Name that score type of game.

8.Washington v Tulsa ..another top 10 team who should win handily and Michael Penix should get some stats.

9. Tenn v Austin Peay ...another top 10 v warmup team. Joe Milton apparently had a good game to open the season and this gives him and the offense a chance to solidify things and retire early in the 2nd half.

10. ND v NC State. ...first real opponent of the season for the Irish. Also a road game to boot, Irish need to show that the good play in the scrimmages wasn't just the weak competition but that new OCoord and QB are for real and that defense is as well. NC State is a solid ACC squad, and they have a QB in Brennan Armstrong who is now healthy and will give DCoord nightmares with his running ability combined with a strong and accurate arm.

There are some other games that are big for sure.

Utah at Baylor The Bears were stunned by the loss to Texas State and lost their starting QB in the game. The Utes are playing 2 backups as Cam Rising isn't ready to play, no word on whether he'll play in Waco. But the Utes are well coached and play great defense.

Nebraska at Colorado ...Huskers are headed into the eye of Hurricane Deion and the Buffalos. Those guys have hated Neb for a long time going back to the Big 8. Deion has the team fired up for sure and his son looks like the real deal at QB. Neb should have won last week at Minnesota but they didn't. Seems like Colorado has it going and Neb is still trying to get started. Could be long bus ride home for them.

A&M at Miami Hopefully the Aggies won't be distracted by South Beach. Connor Weigman looked great last weekend in the romp over New Mexico. I don't know much about Miami except they have a lot of NIL money they've put into building the program up and Mario Cristobal is in his 2nd year, year 1 was a bit of a disappointment. Will be a good road test for the young Aggie QB.

Iowa at Iowa State ...is this their annual Draft Kings/Fan Duel game?

Oregon at Texas Tech ...this will be a culture shock for the Ducks when they get off the plane

Grambling at LSU ...Brian Kelly's Tigers need to lay 70 or so on them to even begin to get the stench of the first game off of them. Kelly has to be aware that LSU has no problems firing coaches. The last 2 guys won Natty's and were fired, Coach O who was beloved early on lost that loving feeling and he was gone.

Auburn at CAL ...Holy Cow what's going on here, first the Gators go to Utah and now Auburn is going to Berkley? Another culture shock for those kids!!

There are lots of other games of Power 5 v Power 5 teams, more cream puffs v power 5 though.

Alabama v Texas is the game to watch though boys!

2. kp

kp Well-Known Member

We find out if Alabama is.for.real and Alabama finds out if Milroe is for real. Running game still a question mark as Alabama didn't blow Middle Tennessee off the line. Defense looked real good but it was.Middle Tennessee. One of these.teams is going to wake up Sunday with a bright future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Buses? We don't need no stinking Buses. I've seen the numbers. 2 extra days rest and practice, CU gave up 500+ yards, NU shut down Minn running game, and the secondary is night and day from a year ago. Adjustments to our offense, deploy the TE's, we'll see what happens.

download.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Was looking forward to the Bama-Texas game tho it appears with the ESPN kerfuffle with the cable company it won't be available on my TV. WTF!!

The new B1G tv contract rears it's head this weekend in the Spencer home as I have to subscribe to Peacock so the wife can watch her Nittany Lions. We also have a game on Peacock only later in the year so there is that. Pretty sure I don't like this mess but equally sure that they didn't ask my opinion

This will be a good barometer for the Irish. We'll know alot more after a road trip against a decent if not too scary NC St team. I know the folks down in these parts are looking forward to the Irish visit. Looking like it could be alot of rain and on a natural grass surface could be sloppy conditions

Should be a good game for my Buckeyes to begin to sort out their issues on offense. Anxious to see McCord clean up his game and get an opportunity to further assess whether the OL just played poorly -v- IU or is just not as good as we need to make another run at the Natty, tho admittedly YSU not the sternest of tests. Hoping for QB2 Brown to get a longer look this weekend, hopefully with some snaps with the 1's

In any event, college football is back. Greatest time of year

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tim Gentry

Tim Gentry Well-Known Member

I’m pulling for you Huskerman! Can’t stand another week of Sanders gloating about a win.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

GBR

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry O'Keefe

Talked to my brother who like me is a Texas grad, but unlike me is not a ND fan, but a big Longhorn fan.

His take on Quin Ewers v Rice was that it was an unimpressive performance and that if that guy shows up in Tuscaloosa Texas is going down. Then I listened to Greg McElroy and he pretty much said the same thing, has an odd side arm delivery, throws off his back foot, not accurate, etc. My brother says he can't understand how he was a top rated QB, it hasn't shown up in Austin last year or so far this year.

Arch, Arch, Arch, Arch!!!:rolleyes:

8. Terry O'Keefe

Kansas putting it on the Illini, I didn't see that coming! Maybe Lance Leopold really is a good coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

I agree Terry, Kansas looked pretty good to me. The Illini definitely have some work to be competitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Terry O'Keefe

So I've been scratching my head on what GBR means, thanks Google! :D

What does GBR mean?

GBR is an acronym that stands for "Garbled beyond recovery," which is another way to say that something is too broken to be fixed. It is often used to describe technological devices, such as a computer or a smartphone, that is unrecoverable.

Of course there is an alternative if you put a # in front of it...Go Big Red.:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Terry O'Keefe

Good news for the Tide, not so much for Quin Ewers and the Longhorns.

12. Terry O'Keefe

uh oh...Colorado has brought Kordell Stewart and Michael Westbrook back for the game today!! Bad news for the Huskers :eek:

13. Terry O'Keefe

I didn't know the Longhorns own a 7-2-1 all time record vs the Tide.

14. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

They got paroled?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

Blackshirts holding the game...Jeff Sims no Tommie Frazier.

16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

17. Terry O'Keefe

I've switched to the Neb game with the delay in the ND game. When I first switched the Huskers looked in control even though the score was 0-0. But then they started turning the ball over and it's now 13-0 Colorado.

Who is your back up QB AJ? Sims really doesn't look very good.

18. Terry O'Keefe

With the delay in Raleigh I wonder what will happen with the A&M/Miami game once the ND game comes back, move it to the Discovery Channel? :p

19. Terry O'Keefe

lol...Deion thinks the score should be worse and that they just need to clean up a few little things!

20. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Huskers were physically punishing Colorado until Sims’ miscues turned the game around. With a competent game managing QB, N would be leading.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1