Week 2 College Football.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Some really good games this coming weekend.

Friday Night
    Boise State v Marshall MtnWest vs CUSA Marshall is the favorite to win the CUSA so should be a good contest for the Freshman QB from Boise to show if he's more than a flash in the pan.

Saturday

Cincinnati at Ohio State ...this is supposed to be one of the best UC teams in years...but this is a very good Ohio State team. I see pain for tOSU alum Luke Fickell in his return to Ohio Stadium.

Army at Michigan...This is supposed to be the best Army team since Red Blaik and the Lonesome End were coaching/playing for the Army. But they didn't look great vs a very average Rice team last week. Maybe they spent all summer working on the Michigan game, I think a lot of people are thinking Army can give them a game like they gave OU and Heisman winner Kyler Murray last year. They'll need a big improvement from the Rice game though.

Texas A&M at Clemson...one of the A&M OL has already guaranteed an Aggie victory. So I guess the game is just a formality. But last year when these two teams met it was a close game, so I don't expect Clemson to steamroll Jimbo's boys. I don't expect A&M to win either. Hopefully Dorian won't be interfering with the gameday weather though.

Nebraska at Colorado ..Huskers started with a win, so did the Buffs. This was a pretty good rivalry back in the Big 8 days. Maybe this could be a good game, or maybe the Train will roll.

BYU at Tenn ...not really a big game, except after that Ga. State loss the Vols really need to win this weekend.

LSU at Texas ....Huge game for both teams, Texas as I've mentioned has 1 scholarship RB that's a problem. LSU on the other hand looked great against Georgia Southern, and their new modern offense seemed really good. Their will be a record crowd at DKR for this game. It's going to be the Sam Ehlinger show if we somehow pull it out.

Stanford at USC...the battle of the backup QB's. Both teams lost their starters last week. USC lost JT Daniel and Stanford lost K.J. Costello. Kedon Slovis for USC is a true freshman not that highly ranked , and Davis Mills is a Jr who was the #1 QB in his class. Neither school looked great last weekend, but they both won. This is an important game for both schools.

Miami at UNC. A big game only because it's Mack Brown and he pulled off the upset last weekend with a true freshman QB. I do think Miami has a pretty good defense though. So was last week a flash in the pan?

CAL at Washington. It's a conference opener for both, Washington has CFP hopes and they can't afford to lose to anybody. They got a good solid win last weekend and transfer Jacob Eason looked good.

Heisman Watch:

1. Jalen Hurts ...no surprise here...his story is too compelling.
    2. Travis Etienne ...Clemson RB. Had a great game.
    3. Tua ...he'll have his chances.
    4. Johnathon Taylor Wisc RB ..another RB who had a great game.
    5. Justin Fields ...A little bit of a surprise
    6. Trevor Lawrence .. A big surprise, I thought he'd be #2 or #3
    7. Joe Burrow ..LSU QB, had a great game and is talented. But it'll be a big surprise if still is in this spot at the end.

Heisman Watch -- Jalen tops Tua in first voteHeisman Watch -- Jalen tops Tua in first vote

Pretty much every other ranked team plays a cream puff this weekend. So don't expect many upsets.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

I watched most of the Husker game (when I turned to the OSU game they were already up 21 after 6 min.!) Frost has a problem with his O line. S. Ala. shut down N's running game. If they can't run on them, they're in deep dodo against Wisky and Iowa.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

"I see pain for OSU alum Luke Fickell in his return to Ohio Stadium." This could be a whale of a game Saturday. We best have our A game if we want to walk away with a win. I am confident Luke has very mixed emotions about this game. Per an article this morning he toyed with the idea of having his AD drop the game but that never really materialized.

4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I know Hurts was in for the the full game, but Tua only played 3 quarters. This happened to Hurts a couple of years ago and it hurt Tagovolua last year. I'm not sure about the other candidates.

5. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the Heisman watch until about week 7... many of those put on the list now will be long gone by then.

• Like Like x 2
  6. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Scott, true and I'm sure that Hurts will sit out many 4th qtrs. throughout the year too.

7. Terry O'Keefe

Last year Murray didn't sit many snaps as the Sooner defense kept most of the opponents in the game so it was always a shootout that required him in the game.

We'll have to see how it goes for the Sooner defense this year under Grinch

8. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Gippers right...cant argue with that.....HOWEVER....the best improvement comes from game 1 to 2 right?.....AND....worry about your anemic Irish and get off my 4-8 Huskers pal....

9. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

in defense of South Alabama, they really are getting better and they get some good defensive talent out of Mobile, Spanish Fort, Daphne etc.

10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Yeah, they weren't gonna roll over, but Gips right, if you watched the game, OL couldn't open any holes. Even Coach Frost said it was a pathetic performance. Hopefully they were looking forward to CU.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Hurts was not in for the whole game, he came out midway through the 4th quarter.

Tua, Hurts and Lawerence look like the class of the QB's to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

I thought that gipper was just commenting on the depth of the do do. :)

13. Terry O'Keefe

Longhorns are about a 4 point dog to LSU. The RB situation is almost comical, the starter will be Keontay Ingram a soph true RB who was a EsPN 300 member. The other 2 guys Roschon Johnson was a dual threat QB slated to play QB at Texas, but the true freshman is now the backup RB, and the 3rd RB is a kid named David Gbenda who was a highly ranked Inside Linebacker who played a little offense at RB in HS, also a true freshman. This is not a good situation. LSU defense is salty, and Ingram can't carry the whole load and I really don't like running Sam to make up for the problems at RB. I doubt if Johnson has ever had to pick up a blitz in his life, that has to make your QB feel well protected when he's in there.

14. IrishCorey

The old rope-a-dope, eh Doc? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Sounds like Lou is writing their laments. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Good Lord, who knows what lays ahead concerning Miami, every time we are projected to move ahead they fall back three steps. It was a great win for NC and they have a lot of confidence, should be some good football.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. IrishCorey

Agreed, and I think your program is headed in the right direction. It's just Dave and his insecurities having to pump up his team's opponents to very lofty heights to justify his delusions. It's all good.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Good to see you're back to being your feisty ole self there Corey... lol.

Basically I'm just looking at Miami's schedule and repeating what has been said in the media about Miami possibly being the 2nd place ACC team this season.... and I do think they have some talent to do that.
    If that's all true it's a little puzzling why a team drops 3 spots in the poll for finding a way to beat them.

19. Terry O'Keefe

Bottom Line is that the Gators win was so ugly, as both teams just didn't look great, that is why voters dropped them a few rungs. But it was still a win over a Power 5 school and a team that I agree with Dave will end up being a pretty good team this season, whether it's their schedule or the fact that Manny might be a good coach and they might have a fair amount of talent on that team. Neither Michigan or Notre Dame got off to roaring starts, they didn't exactly look like Wisconsin beating USF, but they righted their ships and won handily in the end so they got the bump. Gators have a good solid schedule and will have lots of opportunities to prove they are a SEC East Contender.

BTW inspite of the loss to UNC I still think So. Carolina is a pretty good team, they are not an open date for the Gators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

I agree with you on all counts there Terry.
    There were many opening games last weekend that involved top 25 teams playing much lesser opposition than what I and the sports media believe Miami to be this season.
    I guess we'll see going forward if both Miami and Florida can oil up the machine a little and play with more efficiency and style.

OF course to me a sloppy yet scrappy win over Miami is worth many more style points and poll votes than a stylish ass kicking of UT Martin.