Week 12 College Football

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Lots of stuff going on off the field. Jimbo gone, the Miss State coach gone, Penn State fired it's OCoord and you can bet there will be more coming in the next few weeks. The Portal opens sometime in Dec, that's a whole 'nother animal.

In the court room, Mich has a hearing this week and Jim Harbaugh says he'll be there and want's to speak, and out west the Pac-2 members prevailed in their suit against the schools leaving and gained control of the board of directors. By doing so they control the money, which is what is was all about. So what will the Pac-2 do, nobody knows.

But back to the on the field stuff.

Thurs, we have Boston College and Pitt squaring off, amazingly after getting completely blown out in South Bend, Pitt back home last weekend gave #4 unbeaten FSU quite a battle, while BC who started slow has found some traction and is 5-1 in their last 6 games

Friday we have Deion making his first trip to the Paulouse to face Wazzu. Both teams are headed the wrong direction, Colorado has lost 4 in a row while Wazzu has lost 6 in a row. Somebody is going to break their losing streak.

Saturday.

This weekend many of the SEC teams will have scrimmages instead of Byes! Not all of them of course but most of them!

1. Georgia @ Tenn Dawgs just retook #1 from Ohio State and have played very well the last few games, getting healthy and hot at the right time. The Vols however were beat down by Missouri so I'm not thinking they are in a good spot to face the Dawgs.

2. Ohio State vs Minnesota P J Fleck didn't have enough row boats to beat a not very good Purdue squad last week, this weekend could be brutal in Columbus. I hope he brings life jackets.

3. Michigan @ Maryland We don't know if Harbaugh will be on the sidelines for this game yet, but it doesn't matter. Maryland doesn't have enough dudes. I just hope the Interim coach doesn't cuss and cry on Nat'l TV after beating down the Terps.:D

4. FSU vs N.Alabama Amazingly my great nephew who as a high school QB was 52-2 as a 4 year starter and winner of 4 state titles, has ended up at N.Alabama. He's a backup though. So no magic from arguably the greatest HS QB in Oklahoma history!!

5. Washington @ Oregon State The Huskies have really had a tough schedule and it hasn't gotten easier with this trip to Corvalis to play a solid Oregon State squad. To me their resume is better than FSU, but the CFP doesn't see it that way.

6. Oregon @ Arizona State Ducks are on a roll since the close loss to Washington and to me are primed and ready to move up if somebody falters ahead of them. ASU not a good team, Bo Nix should roll.

7. Texas @ Iowa State Longhorns haven't been esp good at finishing off teams when they get them down. Last week at home vs TCU they let them back in the game. This road game to ISU is another dangerous one, they need to win and get some style points. They will miss their starting RB, Brooks, out for the season. The other guys need to step up.

8. Alabama vs Chattanooga. Oh my the Tide 2nd teamers could beat these guys.

9.Missouri actual bye week. Tigers are the surprise team of the season. Coach was on the hot seat to start the year, will get an extension now.

10. Louisville @ Miami Maybe Louisville is the surprise team of the year, first year for Jeff Brohm and it's not like he inherited a program in good shape, but working the Portal and a good coaching job and we have a top 10 team who is likely to play FSU for the ACC Championship. But they have to get by a Miami team heading the wrong way having lost 2 in a row. Mario Cristobal might be thinking that he should have realized, like Dan Lanning, what he had in Oregon and stayed put.

Other:

Notre Dame vs Wake Forrest Wake amazingly has a stout run defense and only FSU has put up 30 on them. Not good news for the offensively challenged Irish. Esp the stout run defense. They can load up and dare us to pass. Lots of rumors abound about our OCoord and we have a couple of OL's not available. Wake though is not good on offense, which plays into the Irish strength on defense so maybe we'll get some turnovers and the offense will get short fields.

Arizona vs Utah Both ranked, the Utes a solid team, the Wildcats still have a shot at the Pac 12 Championship game and like Louisville and Missouri are unexpectedly good this year.

UNC @ Clemson Dabo didn't get a call from Tyler this week on his coaches show so I'm not sure what he'll do to fire up his team. UNC has no defense, but they do have Drake Maye but I don't think it will be enough. The ND win might be a turning point for Clemson.

UCLA @ USC Bruins have lost 2 in a row including losing to a bad ASU team, talk is that Chip Kelly might not make it to 2024, Lincoln Riley fired his DCoord but it wasn't enough and the Trojans have lost 4 out of their last 5. Two bad teams just playing for pride, I do question if Caleb Williams cares.

Florida @ Missouri. Gators have lost 3 in a row and now have to travel to a hot and motivated Missouri squad. Billy Napier probably not esp popular right now and they still have FSU to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

That's great, Terry!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Just read that none of Purdue's opponents this year have a losing record (currently).

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I just read that Alabama has victories over number 9, number 13, number 15 and number 18 in this week's College Football Playoff rankings. Oh yeah, they also played number 7 and that is their only loss. Pretty good strength of schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stu Ryckman

In Sagarin's computer ranking, 'Bama's SOS is currently #1. Purdue is 11. Ohio State is 42. Michigan is 63.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well Michigan and Harbaugh have withdrawn their contesting of the suspension.

"This morning, the University, Coach Harbaugh, and the Big Ten resolved their pending litigation," the university's statement read. "The Conference agreed to close its investigation, and the University and Coach Harbaugh agreed to accept the three-game suspension. Coach Harbaugh, with the University's support, decided to accept this sanction to return the focus to our student-athletes and their performance on the field. The Conference has confirmed that it is not aware of any information suggesting Coach Harbaugh's involvement in the allegations. The University continues to cooperate fully with the NCAA's investigation."

7. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

In a week, M went from claiming it was going scorched earth against the B10 to “ Thank you sir, may I have another?”. I imagine the “Michigan vs Everybody” gear is now being sold at a steep discount. Would have helped if our university president did not decide to act like Sidney Powell when the B10 announced its sanctions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Your Animal House quote was not lost on me. :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stu Ryckman

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bobdawolverweasel

Well, looks like the argument that Stalions was a lone wolf took a big hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bobdawolverweasel

And the theory that Stalions self financed the in person scouting goes poof.

12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

This news does not bode well for Michigan University, nor do I personally delight in this information.:(

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Don Ballard

Well Coach Sanders and Colorado received a rude awaking from Washington State last night 56-14o_O

14. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

The Networks who over-hyped Coach Prime in the first month of the season should feel pretty sheepish at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

They've won 4 games vs. a 1-11 record last year. He's improved the team, but obviously he's not a miracle worker. Overhyped? Maybe? Successful? Only time will tell.

16. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

I agree Don, I'm conflicted on the whole matter, from the fan perspective. On the one hand, I'm angry because in my gut, I know that they derived a material competitive benefit on the field from their actions and as our arch-rival it never hurts my feelings to see them get hammered. On the other hand, having been in their shoes, I know the emotions they're having and they ain't good ones.

I can't imagine the Regents are too happy with the President's positioning on the whole matter and the Pres likely feels similar with his AD and the coaching staff. My guess is there is more changes underway, difficult to see how Harbaugh survives this. I do believe a post-season ban, show cause and lack of institutional control are not out of the question here, fwiw

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don Ballard

Terry, I believe we both have similar feelings about how this all plays out. Buckeyes should be on full alert, as the Wolverines will be on us for all of the marbles. I have no idea how the NCAA will handle this whole mess? In no way do I want Michigan to opt out of the conference, if that proves to be a factor. I do feel like they should be punished for what was done. Forfeiting all games for the season would not be out of reason. My attitude presently is to just wait and see what develops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. kp

kp Well-Known Member

If the NCAA comes out next season with the sanction of Michigan forfeiting all this seasons games, which if it includes a National Championship, will ruin more than one team's season. Michigan's season, of course, but also the teams that lose to them along the way. Stolen signs really do give a team a big advantage. This is really a shame since Michigan has a very good team this year and only really had to worry about two ranked opponents (Penn St. and Ohio State).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

It's important to note that if the NCAA mandated electronic helmet receivers like the NFL none of this ever would have happened. We didn't hear anything about the Astros cheating this year, did we.

20. kp

kp Well-Known Member

We have never needed electronic helmet receivers until now. I guess we need them now because some folks just can't resist the temptation to break the rules????