Week 11 College Football 2021

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Yikes..season almost over. November is where the rubber pellets meet the road (thanks Bobda! ).

A big game for the ACC on Thursday night. Suprised this isn't in the Yahoo Contest.

UNC @ Pitt UNC just coming off a big shootout with Wake Forrest, now will likely be in another big shootout with Pitt. Pitt's Kenny Pickett is having a big year at QB, as is UNC's Sam Howell. Pitt is in the lead for the ACC Coastal and a spot in the ACC Championship game. So they will be focused, UNC just in a save the season mode so I expect a very entertaining game. Last team with the ball wins.

Another big game on Friday night that I'm surprised isn't in the Yahoo contest.

Cincinnati @ USF USF isn't having a good season, but they gave Houston a good game for a while last Saturday. Cincinnati has been winning but not impressively and they have not been playing good teams either. Last weekend another close game. USF not as good as Tulsa but if UC doesn't show up again then another close game will likely happen, hurting their CFP hopes.

Saturday

Georgia @ Tenn The Vols have been revived under Josh Heupel and at least on offense they have been playing well. They got the win last weekend over a pretty good Kentucky team and might be the best offense that the Dawgs have seen so far this season. Now that offense didn't do well in the trip to Tuscaloosa, and I'd expect that we'll see a repeat of that vs this UGA defense. As you might have read UGA lost a starting LB to allegations of sexual assault, no sure how key he was to the UGA defense and Smart has recruited so well on defense that next man up might be a guy who starts at most places.

Alabama vs Open Date (New Mexico State) I wonder if whoever is Bryce Young's backup will get a lot of playing time this weekend?

Oklahoma @ Baylor Baylor a solid and well coached team. I would expect them to give OU a good game, but OU still to win. Caleb Williams to continue to look like a Heisman candidate. Big OU win though will help propel OU upwards in the rankings.

Oregon @ Washington State Big game for both teams. Oregon didn't look great in the win at Washington. They are just a game ahead of Wazzu in the Pac12 N standings. So Washington State could get a leg up on the title if they can win. Oregon wins and they pretty much lock up the Pac12 N.

Ohio State vs Purdue. I imagine that any idea that the Buckeyes will overlook Purdue is out the window with the Spoilermakers taking down both Iowa and Michigan State. Even though it's in Columbus though you never know. This Purdue squad has a really good passing game. I wonder if a shootout is in the air? It probably has never happened but what if as an unranked team, Purdue knocks off the #2 team in Iowa, the #3 team in Michigan State and now the #6 team in Ohio State? What a resume.

Notre Dame @ UVA UVA has a big time offense, Irish will be tested as their top player in Kyle Hamilton isn't thought to be playing. This could be a shootout as UVA not possessing a great defense to go along with their great offense. Will Brennan Armstrong the UVA QB be available? He has rib injuries.

Michigan State vs Maryland. Spartans need a bounce back vs the Terrapins. Marylands Taulai Tagovailoa is a very good QB, Purdues QB's did well vs MSU defense so this might be a closer game than MSU would like. Kennth Walker III probably the difference.

Michigan @ Penn State No doubt this will be a white out game in Happy Valley, so the Nit's will be fired up and ready to play. They gave Ohio State a good game in Columbus and I don't think they have any love for Michigan. So I expect this to be a tough game for the Wolverines if they play with the same intensity as they did in Columbus. Michigan cannot afford another loss.

Oklahoma State @ TCU Chad Morris son, Chandler, had a big game vs Baylor in the win. He was in for Max Duggan the 3 year starter at QB. OSU has been winning with good defense early on and lately Spencer Sanders the OSU QB has been coming on. Oklahoma State could be a team makes the B12 title game, but they can't lose to TCU! TCU has Jerry Kill who as you remember was forced into retirement at Minn due to some medical issues. But he's back! He's a good coach. TCU likely gives them all they can handle. Won't be shocked if they win.

A&M @ Ole Miss This is the game in the SEC this week. Ole Miss high flying offense vs the revived wrecking crew of the Aggies. Lane Kiffin vs Jimbo. Offense vs Defense. I wonder how healthy Zach Calzada is, he was injured vs Auburn but finished the game. They however didn't score an offensive TD. Ole Miss did score against Auburn but still lost the game. This one is must see TV!

Minn @ Iowa Gophers lost to Illinois, maybe they were looking ahead while Iowa was playing a really close game with a bad Northwestern game. These 2 teams are tied for the lead in the Big 10 W with Wisconsin and Purdue. So neither can afford to lose another game.

Miami @ FSU Once one of the great games of the season in college is an after thought now with both teams down. Hurricanes seem to have found something in their new QB and knocked off Pitt on the road. FSU is 3-6 on a 2 game losing streak.

NCState vs Wake Forrest No significance nationally now that Wake has lost a game, but a lot on the line with regards to the ACC. Clearly Wake has no defense, so if they are to win they will have to outscore NCState in likely another shootout. I wonder if Sam Hartman's arm is going to fall off?

KU @ Texas O Lord please don't let the Longhorns lose to KU.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Trev Alberts, Nebraska AD, has announced a "restructured contract for Scott Frost that allows him to return in 2022 for the Huskers. I read that to mean that they agreed on goals and who owes who what if Frost doesn't meet them and Nebraska has to part ways with him. Probably means little or no buyout for Frost if he's fired.

Personally I'm glad that they have given him some more time, he's their best chance for return to glory, even if that glory in the near term is Big 10 West Championship rather than Nat'l Championships.

Alberts said Frost has "a clear plan and vision for the future" of Nebraska and that both he and Frost "share a love of Nebraska and this football program." Like Frost, Alberts starred as a player at Nebraska, earning consensus All-America honors at linebacker.

Huskers stick with Frost, restructure coach's deal

3. Terry O'Keefe

Could the whole scene get worse for Dan Mullen? Yup. Apparently the Gators have dance parties before their games. :confused:

Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson, who recently emerged as the team's starter, injured his knee while dancing at the team hotel the night before a 40-17 loss at South Carolina on Saturday.

Coach Dan Mullen told reporters on Monday that Richardson had been cleared to practice that Thursday after suffering a concussion against Georgia on Oct. 30. He then injured his knee on Friday and received medical treatment Saturday morning.

Richardson, a freshman, dressed for the game against South Carolina in case of emergency, but he did not participate. He is expected to practice Monday.

4. Terry O'Keefe

Big 10 refs! I wish I had a picture of Tom and Cindy from the 2009 Wash State/ND game in San Antonio. They came dressed as blind mice, with Big 10 refs on their shirts! :eek:

Jim Harbaugh told reporters on Monday that the Big Ten Conference acknowledged officiating mistakes in Michigan's 37-33 loss to Michigan State on Oct. 30.

Harbaugh said his staff has been submitting questionable calls by referees to the conference this season, and he acknowledged getting a response to this particular game.

"As we all expected, and all saw, mistakes were made," Harbaugh said. "That was the response [from the conference], yeah, they made a mistake."

Harbaugh: Big Ten admits to errors in MSU game

5. Terry O'Keefe

AJ just texted me that Nebraska has canned pretty much their entire Offensive Coaching staff. This reminds me of Notre Dame post 2016 season. Kelly was on the chopping block and Swarbrick put it to him, you make major changes to your coaching staff or hit the road. We call it Kelly 2.0 since he cleaned house and we got back on track in 2017.

6. Terry O'Keefe

Joshua Moore the Longhorns leading receiver in 2020 is in the portal. He was the one who had a big on the field confrontation with Sark early last week and left the field during practice. Also Casey Thompson is supposedly dealing with a thumb issue and Sark hasn't decided who will start at QB.

7. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Lots of interesting games this week and I'll probably miss most if not all of them while I sit in my deer blind.

8. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

Nebraska kept their special teams coach?

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

LOL....YES!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

BOBDA!!!...YOU ARE THE MAN!:D

11. Bobdawolverweasel

Bobdawolverweasel Well-Known Member

It is just nuts, AJ. The weak link for the team this year has been its special teams.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Ohio State is favored by 19 points against Purdue Saturday ???o_O

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Sid

Sid Well-Known Member

Not surprised. Purdue has been up and down this season. They definitely are trending upward, but they haven't been consistently strong. I'm just guessing the spread is due at least partly because they don't have the depth of talent on paper to match up with Ohio State.

14. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Depth and lack of running game.

15. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Frankly I will be glad when this one is done with a w!

16. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

44075.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Gators made major changes in their coaching staff. Both the Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Line coach were let go.

I am not sure what this means as far as Mullen staying or leaving. If we lose any of our last three games which are Samford, Missouri and FSU then I believe he will likely get let go. Winning them all may or may not save him.

I agree about letting both coaches go but have moved from being a big supporter of Mullen to being on the fence. His recruiting has been lacking and I am not sure that with what is going on at Florida that he can turn recruiting around.

18. Terry O'Keefe

Not much movement in the CFP, MSU dropped 4 slots everybody moved up, Wake Forrest dropped out of the top 10 and ND and Oklahoma State move into the top 10.

19. Terry O'Keefe

A little late but still funny.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Terry O'Keefe

• Funny Funny x 2