UF @ USCe - cause for concern on the part of UF???

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by GaterzFan, Nov 6, 2007.

1. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Do the cocks have a new secret weapon at QB?? Look what SOS is working and CHECKING out!!

:shock: :shock: [​IMG] :shock: :shock:

2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Well she's definitely not a college student, so I doubt if she has any eligiblity. I wonder if she's a MILF (it's a new term I've learned recently!). :)

3. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

LOL. And you are wondering about the M or LF part?

4. Terry O'Keefe

M part, no doubt about the LF part!!! :)

5. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what's the gay kid behind Spurrier looking at?

6. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

you have to respect her skill

<t>she's good with balls</t>

7. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Found this link on another board. If you like the Beach Boys and camels, sorta funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdLp8l69LjM&eurl=http://www.gatorcountry.com/swampgas/showthread.php?t=19843&page=300

8. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Now that was an eye opening experience to start the day off right!

9. BuckeyeT

BuckeyeT Well-Known Member

Gaterz,

thanks.....my morning coffee is now dripping from the screen of my laptop. Too funny. Next time please provide a warning! :lol:

10. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Well, I hope Greg Mattison figures out a way to get some pressure on SOS' new weapon at QB.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2007/11/08/a11c_uf_1108.html?cxntlid=inform

UF defensive line coach is king of improvisation

GAINESVILLE — After spending about 15 hours on campus following players to class on his red scooter, running defensive meetings and coaching two-hour practices, it's no wonder Greg Mattison is wiped out by the time he finally arrives home around 11 p.m.

He's lucky if he's able to say 10 words to his wife, Ann, before collapsing into bed.

But such is to be expected for Mattison, Florida's co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach, who is in the midst of one of his most difficult seasons in his 36 years of coaching.

"Greg looks about 88 years old right now if you really look at him," UF coach Urban Meyer joked this week. "That's an important task that Greg has right now."

The core of the team's 2006 line is now in the NFL, and Mattison is left with a group of players barely old enough to vote. Yet somehow, he's trying to turn a bunch of teenagers into a legitimate Southeastern Conference defense.

"I've never had a group this young," Mattison said.

That's where Ann Mattison comes in. When she sees her husband come home, haggard and frustrated, she offers her unsolicited advice.

"I have to remind him about Ray, Joe, Jarvis - don't you think they were that way once too?" Ann Mattison said, who also has to remind her husband that outside of end Derrick Harvey and tackle Clint McMillan, many of his current players are just a year or two removed from high school.

Without Ray McDonald, Jarvis Moss and Marcus Thomas, who are all in the NFL, or even an experienced upperclassman like Javier Estopinan, now out for the season with a knee injury, Mattison has started to improvise.

The biggest gamble initially has paid off.

Coaches decided to move freshman offensive lineman Mike Pouncey - the team's backup center - to defensive tackle a couple of days after the loss to Georgia, when the Gators gave up 196 rushing yards.

Mattison was so impressed with Pouncey's energy, effort and natural athletic talent - not to mention his 6-foot-4, 313-pound body - that Pouncey earned the start against Vanderbilt after just a few days of practice with the defense.

Pouncey played 43 defensive snaps against Vanderbilt, made two tackles and batted down a pass. He consistently handled double-teams and helped the Gators hold Vanderbilt to less than 100 rushing yards.

"I still can't believe that happened," Meyer said.

And then Mattison has several works-in-progress, like freshman Torrey Davis, a high school star who needed coaching, or redshirt freshman Lawrence Marsh, who came to Florida as a raw defensive end and has grown into a tackle.

"He's old school, he's not bending no rules," Davis said. "Being who I was in high school, I got away with a lot of stuff I shouldn't have. But with coach, it's starting back over."

Mattison also has tested putting freshman end Justin Trattou at tackle on passing downs, and undersized end Duke Lemmens in on goal-line situations.

"It's really, really challenging," Mattison said. "It makes you come to work everyday knowing you have to be at your best. I really believe that in the long run its going to be very rewarding."

11. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Twins now starting on UF lines as true freshmen. Fortunately for UF, da noles thought Maurkice wasn't good enough to play Dic-1A ball so .... two guys who grew up nolies fans signed with and enrolled early at UF.

UF Extra: Battle of the Pounceys

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2007/11/08/a11c_uf_extra_1108.html?cxntlid=inform

The Pouncey twins, freshmen Maurkice and Mike, have been in Gainesville since January, and teammates finally have a solid way to tell the two apart, at least on the field.

Mike now wears a defensive jersey in practice, while "little" brother Maurkice - he's two pounds lighter - still wears an offensive jersey.

Nearly all of the Pouncey buzz until November surrounded Maurkice, who has started all except one game at right guard (he missed part of the Ole Miss game with an injured ankle).

Now it's Mike's turn to hear praise after he started at defensive tackle against Vanderbilt.

"Already he's the biggest D-lineman we have," freshman Duke Lemmens said. "He did a great job of just coming off the ball and just played hard. And his technique, for just starting (last) week, was awesome."

The position change also opens the chance for a Pouncey vs. Pouncey matchup in the drill called Circle of Life, in which players battle 1-on-1 in a wrestling-style match.

"I can't wait for that," Lemmens said. "I think they are just going to hit each other and fall backwards because it's like equal force."

Memories of last season

College players are used to watching post-game film, but coach Urban Meyer broke out some unusual footage after the Gators beat South Carolina in Gainesville last year.

Meyer and his staff found videos on YouTube.com shot by Florida fans of Jarvis Moss' block of Ryan Succop's field-goal attempt that sealed Florida's 17-15 victory.

"It was good for all the players to hear how crazy and excited the fans were for us," quarterback Tim Tebow said. "That was a great memory for us. That was one of the funnest games I've been a part of."

Looking to regroup

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier told reporters Tuesday that he hopes his team's troubles are in the past after the Gamecocks' past three losses, which came against Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Arkansas.

"Our offense had a really, really lousy game against Vandy, and now our defense had their lousy game," Spurrier said.

Recruiting update

Florida hosted just one official visit last week during the Vanderbilt game, and is focusing its recruiting efforts on the Nov. 24 rivalry game against Florida State.

Florida has oral commitments from 10 players, and no new ones since last month, when linebacker Brendan Beal said he would play for the Gators.

12. GaterzFan

GaterzFan New Member

Spurrier calls Tebow a QB 'of the future'

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2007/11/07/a12c_uffootball_1107.html?cxntlid=inform

GAINESVILLE — South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier is quite familiar with great Florida quarterbacks.

After all, he was one, and he coached several, including Heisman winner Danny Wuerffel.

Spurrier, meeting with reporters in Columbia, S.C., Tuesday, said Florida's Tim Tebow is the "type of quarterback everyone is looking for."

"He doesn't miss many open guys," Spurrier said. "If they're open, he doesn't zing it 5, 10 yards over their heads.

"He's made some unbelievable plays when they're not open and guys are hanging all over him and this, than and the other. So he's, sort of, the quarterback of the future."

Spurrier also said that Stephen Garcia, a freshman from Tampa who was one of the nation's top-rated dual-threat quarterback recruits last year, has been wearing a No. 15 jersey and running the scout team offense this week.

Florida's offense still has yet to have all of its wide receivers healthy at once.

Riley Cooper, who missed the Georgia and Vanderbilt games with a broken finger, caught balls at practice Tuesday, coach Urban Meyer said.

Cooper also was hampered earlier in the season by a sprained ankle.

"He gets so frustrated. He's been hurt for like six weeks," Meyer said. "We've just got to get him."

Tight end Cornelius Ingram played against Vanderbilt, but was hobbled by a sprained ankle and is not completely healed yet.

Also, junior Louis Murphy missed Tuesday's practice because he was feeling ill. Meyer said he expects Murphy back today.

Noteworthy: The Nov. 17 game between Florida and Florida Atlantic will be available live on pay-per-view. The game, which kicks off at noon, was not selected to be broadcast by Lincoln Financial, CBS or ESPN.

13. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know about the QB of the future thing, but Tebow is that type of QB that everybody has always liked. Big, Mobile, Strong enough to take the punishment and a Rocket for an arm. That's what everybody liked about guys like John Elway.

Where as our own Mr. QB, Jimmy Clausen, while maybe will end up being a great college QB, is nowhere near the physical specimen that Tebow is and while he has taken a pounding this year that maybe Tebow hasn't, has already missed a number of games. I'd guess that Tebow would have been able to avoid some of the sacks that Clausen has taken and because of his physical stature would have suffered less than Jimmy has also.

Vince Young was like that as well, very big and able to take the punishment although he never really had to take much while at Texas.

14. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

If you look at all the rushes that Tebow has I don't see that he hasn't been tackled many, many more times than just about any Qb in America.

The only game in which he played it almost strictly as a pocket Qb taking sacks was the Ga game. Not utilizing his dual threat capability didn't work too well for the UF offensive line.

On Tebow's arm it really does illustrate how the ESPN talking heads just talk out of their a** sometimes because guys like Mark May said before the season that Tebow can't throw just because Meyer didn't let him last year....even though the kid threw for over 9,000 yards in high school.