Trump Finally Steps Up

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Motorcity Gator, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Listen.... for me I was watching closely but not firmly convinced about social distancing etc. until last week when March Madness was cancelled for the first time in history.
    That alone was so unprecedented.... so monumental and impactful to so many lives that you just could not ignore the message... could not downplay it.
    Unless of course you were a member of Fox News Network or a Trumpster of even Trump himself.... who boasted it was all under control. My wife's best friend is a Trump supporter and drinks the koolaid lock stock and barrel and has no clue about the sports world and doesn't care about sports. Before yesterday's Trump presser she was telling my wife how it's all a media lie to take down Trump etc. etc. ..... just yesterday morning telling my wife this insane nonsense. I have now lost any respect for any of this friend's opinion on anything serious....anything at all going forward and some Fox News personalities were saying the same kind of crap.... until yesterday.
    President Donald Trump finally takes the coronavirus emergency seriously - CNNPolitics
    I hope yesterday was a turning point for these idiots..... idiots that didn't consider that losing 3 trillion dollars out of the global economy was solely because of the virus itself and not a crazy Democratic/liberal news media plot of some sort..... all just to take down Trump. Pure insanity!!!

2. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

The virus didn't take money from the economy... reacting to it did.
    Time will tell if it was money well spent or not.
    There are reasons for severe quarantine... and reasons against it.
    Glad to hear you know the ultimate outcome of both choices and can label folks appropriately.
    :confused:

3. Motorcity Gator

The irony is Scott that if the measures taken prove to be effective in limiting the virus then you will never know for sure if they were needed.
    But rest assured.... this has been a global response to the virus.... and nowhere near some closely held clandestine backroom effort by the media or Dems to take down Trump. The sheer impact on everything globally would tell any logically thinking sane person that it was all about stopping the virus.

But already now that you mention it I can hear the hate crowd banging the drums in the fall at Trump rallies about how it was indeed all just a conspiracy to take down poor ole Donald and by the way..... nothing even happened to prove it was real.....it was just a hoax perpetrated by the Dems and the entire ******* world went along with it at a devastating cost to billions of people.

4. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

I am no fan of Trump, but I am rooting very hard for him to succeed.

5. Motorcity Gator

Me too Corey..... and I won't even mind when he takes all the credit when he does.

It will irk me though when he fans the flames in the fall at his rallies as Fox News and his irrational supporters claim how it was all the Dems and liberal media's fault.....

6. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

When FDR told the country in his first Inaugural Address that Americans had nothing to fear but fear itself, that was a lie and for nearly a decade thereafter employment and food were always a great cause for concern. Don't remember the assholes who claimed that he undersold the crisis but, maybe they hadn't been born yet.

7. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

Irrational supporters?....because he was right all along?

8. Motorcity Gator

Irrational is a tame word for it AJ...... but Trump's Fox News legions and Trump himself are pretty good at throwing facts and sanity out the window and if this virus dies down eventually because of all the drastic measures taken then I can foresee all of the crazy irrational rhetoric to come in the fall from the right about how the liberal media forced his hand and that of the entire world..... no matter that the world is upside down right now at a cost of THREE TRILLION DOLLARS!!

9. Motorcity Gator

I admit I harbored the same thoughts as Trump.... and of course I don't watch Fox News.... that the cure for Covid-19 could result in more death and tragedy than the virus itself might cause.
    However.... the chilling truth in numbers is that if the death rate was held to 1 percent but the highly contagious virus infects 60 percent of the US population of 300 million then 180 million would get the virus and 1.8 million Americans would die.
    By contrast everyone points to 50,000 flu deaths this year so the loss of life would be staggering if 60 percent get infected.
    With back to work relaxed restrictions etc. etc. are we prepared to accept so many deaths?
    And deaths would be certain also because so many would be critically ill that they would outnumber the medical resources available.
    So what's the right call here?
    I have an extra stake because both myself and my wife are in our mid 60s..... a very vulnerable group.

10. Motorcity Gator

And for perspective total deaths in the U.S. annually is approx. 2.8 million from all causes.

Prematurely relaxing steps to combat Covid-19 could add as many as 2 million more to that total.

The Lt. Gov. of Texas wants to step up and be one of those 2 million..... anyone else feel brave today?

11. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Authorities try to initiate reasonable controls to fight the epidemic and what do we get? We get spring breakers parting all over the beach. We get the same Mardi Gras revelry in La. that is now experiencing a wave of cases, we get New Yorker fleeing the state to places like Rhode Island and Florida. They arrive and shortly thereafter they test positive. These a folks who were supposedly in a lock down. I'm not sure that the "steps" are that effective when we have so many people who apparently don't get it. Oh well, they can blame Trump.

12. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Motorcity Gator

Somebody explain to me why these statements from a CNN article about Trump's crisis leadership in the management of Covid-19 is completely not factual and false news.
    This is the Trump I immensely dislike and distrust:
    "In his closing argument before the 2016 election, Donald Trump pointed voters toward his "under budget and ahead of schedule" new Washington hotel: "A metaphor for what we can accomplish for this country."
    Trump pitched himself as a successful businessman and an executive, even though his actual record included a string of spectacular bankruptcies and lawsuits -- including an effort during the 2008 financial crisis to sidestep a $40 million debt to Deutsche Bank by invoking a "force majeure" clause likening the economic catastrophe to riots or floods. Rather than pay what he owed, he sued the bank claiming harm to his finances and reputation, eventually settling out of court.
    That's the executive Americans have seen in the White House during the coronavirus calamity. Instead of accepting responsibility for the administration's laggard, chaotic response, Trump has launched a full-scale attempt to shift blame onto others, including China and the media. Instead of crisp action and clear lines of command, Trump has offered indecision, changing his positions on guidance to the public and routinely undermining his own health experts.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

You expect anyone here to dignify any article by CNN? On Feb. 5 in his State of the Union Speech Trump mentioned the threat of the China virus. Ask Nancy Pelosi if you can borrow her copy to read....on second though, never mind.

15. Motorcity Gator

Yesterday's disjointed Covid presser by Trump gave me the distinct uneasy feeling that we are being led through this crisis by Fox News......

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

How about you ******* take care of a few things yourself instead of having to be led by the nose?
    Why is everyone in so much need of being told what to do?
    Geezus some Americans truly are SHEEPLE looking for their herd dog.
    :mad:

17. Motorcity Gator

Well Scott I realize that your whiskey was doing the talking so I'm basically ignoring your comments.

But Americans do look for their leaders to lead.... and provided reassurance and clear direction.

If I want to get my leadership from Fox News I'll watch it.... I don't need Trump to rehash the lame ideas that he has been seeing on Fox News.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN

HUSKERMAN-HUSKERFAN Well-Known Member

19. Motorcity Gator

That's pure entertainment AJ.

How are you going to get people back to work when it can kill them by doing so.

Bus drivers, auto workers, healthcare workers, police and fire.... there are Covid deaths in all sectors.

Who would fly on a plane with several sick passengers coughing, sneezing etc. ?

Are you going to a Big Red game and physically throw the ticket holder next to you out of the stadium because he can't quit coughing? Or maybe you sit there and take the virus home to all in your family and hope they all don't get seriously ill or die?

20. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Anyone remember when Trump supposedly was supposed to be concentrating on the pandemic, a Democrat suggesting that the Impeachment hearings should be postponed until after the crisis has past? ME NEITHER. And while we're at it, remember those inane Democratic "debates" just how many questions were asked about the impending viral attack when this was so important? The media??? Their puppets??? Now they act as though it was obvious. Just crap.