This is one way to combat porch pirates

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by IrishCorey, Dec 17, 2019.

1. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

What happens when a guy leaves his job at NASA to make Youtube videos and has an incredible petty streak?

Just make sure you watch the whole thing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. WSU1996kesley

WSU1996kesley Well-Known Member

Been a fan of his for at least two years. Just watched this one this Sunday. I can't wait to see if he has a follow-up to the person that stole his glitter bomb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

I remember that guy from last year, he's definitely made some improvements.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. IrishCorey

This guy has really inspired me. I have neighbors who I know are porch pirates, unfortunately. Thankfully, we've been vigilant and haven't had anything taken but they've hit other people. They've done a few other things that were really sketchy. It's a shame. It's really the only downside to living here in this new city for us. Anyway, I was searching for ways to combat this potential issue for us and I came across this year's video. I agree he made improvements.

5. IrishCorey

It should be noted, that my porch pirate neighbors finally struck gold today. There was a package for my wife that was delivered by the USPS (who doesn't ring my doorbell when they deliver), and it was gone within 30 minutes of it being delivered. The police weren't going to get involved, but it turns out the value of the box was more than $500, so that's a whole different type of no-no in this state. I'll be interested to see if anything comes of having the police involved.

6. JO'Co

JO'Co Well-Known Member

Did my gifts get through?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. IrishCorey

JOCO,

Yes, yours did. Jenny's did. Eric ordered late so those gifts that were to arrive before Christmas made it. What they swiped was a box that Brittney uses to buy work clothes. They send her a box of clothes, some of which are quite expensive. She keeps and pays for what she wants, and sends back the rest. Basically, it's a way for her to keep her professional wardrobe on point (now that she's at the top level in the state for her position), while not breaking our bank. We basically wind up spending between $40 to $60 and mailing back the rest no matter how much she loves it.

However, if you keep the whole box, it can run from $200 to $600 in value. Well, it seems this most recent box was some sort of holiday box that had a $600 value. According to our local police, that means the theft is a class C felony and not your normal porch pirate scoop for a $50 item. If someone gets caught for this, and frustratingly, I believe I know who did this, they are in big trouble.

When it comes to family shipments, I schedule my entire day around sitting at home and waiting for those boxes to be delivered. This was a box we didn't know was coming for sure. So rest easy, your presents not only made it, but they were a huge smash. You ushered in the 'age of Barbie' into our home. Harlow has it all set up. She even has water in the pool with the mini slide that attaches to the pop up camper.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  8. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Too funny...

9. IrishCorey

Oh yeah, JOCO always nails it with the Christmas presents. He's had his finger on the pulse of the 'perfect gift' for 50 years now. This is just year one and I fear that I am 'Barbied out.' :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Gawd nothing pisses me off more than a thief. Corey, I'd lose my mind in your situation.
    I'm fortunate that my little neighborhood is full of retired, or work-from-home folks who WATCH anyone who comes into our little slice of the world and have no problem ASKING if they don't know them.
    I've had untold numbers of packages left exposed on my porch thanks to Amazon Prime, and not ONE has ever gone missing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. IrishCorey

Scott,

This little community I live in is very much like that, except for 2 residents. Unfortunately for me, it's my upstairs neighbor and the neighbor across the hall from me. We had a dude evicted here a few months ago. Our upstairs neighbor told everyone that they were 'working security for property management' and roped the stuff off as it sat on the curb. What they were doing is driving everyone else away and then calling their family/friends to come over and just rob the stuff. They did this in broad daylight. Everyone in the community was upset except our neighbor across the hall, who helped them make the stuff go away.

The dude who was evicted was some poor heartbroken SOB whose wife left him and he just stopped giving a ****. When he eventually came back to get his stuff, it was gone except for things no one would want. They took his bedding, furniture, electronics etc... you name it. They originally told someone that the guy took his electronics and left everything else. It turns out, the electronics was the first stuff they stole and they made that story up to cover their asses as they stole everything else.

I'm waiting for a package from my brother, and then once that is delivered, I will begin working on a 'response.' It's a bit maddening that, when confronted with the reality of porch pirates, people just say 'well, have it delivered to Walgreens.' I mean, that's a good idea but I've lived my entire life refusing to conform to bullies. I don't see me starting now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IrishCorey

So a mother in our complex has kindly donated a 2 week sample of stinky doody diapers to my cause if I am willing to go pick them up. Now I am just looking for something that will have just enough charge to it, to create a mess. As soon as Eric's package gets delivered, I am going to set out the booby prize.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  13. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

Vile!
    I love it!
    :D

• Funny Funny x 1