The Rise of the Snowplow Sports Parent.

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Terry O'Keefe, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Interesting article on SI about this new extension of the Helicopter parent, and has nothing to do with clearing the snow from the driveway! :D

It has a lot of stuff on Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins and his parents. Also this from Jay Bilas. Very interesting read, I see it all the time in my practice, parents whose lives completely turn around their children's extracurriculars. Some can't even take vacations because they can't fit them into their childs summer sports schedule esp if the kid plays on a select team in any sport.

Rise of the Snowplow Sports ParentsRise of the Snowplow Sports Parents

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don Ballard

Don Ballard Well-Known Member

Very interesting article Terry, We have difficulty in being able to keep attendance up at our family reunions. My nephews and nieces have so much travelling to and from sporting events for their children, it is hard to do too many other things even on the weekends like reunions. Entirely different when I was in school, parents attended local sporting events, but no long distance stuff like nowadays.

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

My son is beginning to run into this with his seven year old. Walker plays baseball and wrestling. But the word "play" hardly applies. In wrestling , you don't just wrestle for your school. You wrestle in clubs as well. And if you don't then you will be dead meat before you even see high school. The better wrestlers go year around and travel hundreds of miles for meets with big entry fees. In Little League baseball he play for his team. was named to the All Star team and now practices 5 days a week prepping for the big All Star tournament in Toms River NJ in two weeks where Todd Frazier bankrolls much of the program. Walker plays for Berkeley Township at a complex called Leiter Field where , you guessed it, Al Leiter, pays a lot of the bills. 8 Fields, three with lights and a large indoor training facility. It's gotten crazy.... the kid loves baseball but he also loves the pool, the beach and watching cartoons. Overkill.

4. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Really interesting article. I think part of the angst on the part of agents is that the parents are also managing to cash in on the whole situation also. Money that the agents might get otherwise.

It's not all bad in my opinion.