The redshirt rule...

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Scott88, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Scott88

Scott88 Well-Known Member

So the Aggie punt returner has decided to redshirt this season.
    He played in our first four, and sat out the Arkansas game.
    He has been a REALLY good return man for us, but has not been able to break into the WR rotation. From what I've seen, he's very good once he gets the ball, but a bit unreliable at actually catching it.
    SO...
    He is on schedule to graduate this summer.
    He'll have 2 years of eligibility if he transfers and can play immediately.
    Hate to lose an excellent return man, but I can't argue with his logic.
    Guess we'll be seeing more and more of this as players start to look at playing time.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

Yes the unintended consequences of this new rule. It helps some players, like our Daelin Hayes who was injured in the 4th game v UVA. In the old days he'd just be SOL it'd be his 4th year and he'd be done. But with the 4 game rule he can take this as a redshirt year and come back for his 5th. So to me that's a good use of the rule.

Where I'm struggling a bit is the guys who are healthy and can play but just say I'm done coach. D'Eriq King at Houston and another kid who is a good WR are doing that at Houston. King says he'll be back next year at U of H, but his dad said they would look at all options. To me this stinks, sure the team started 1-3 and all that and he wasn't losing his starting job like Kelly Bryant did last year at Clemson. I guess he in theory he'll be on a better team next year at Houston (not a guarantee) and have a year of practice with the team in the Holgerson offense.

You're guy also stinks IMHO, I get it that maybe it's best for him personally. He gets 2 years to play somewhere else (maybe he stays at A&M) and get in the rotation and play more. But what about the team, I guess it's more about me these days than the team.

• Like Like x 1
  3. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a real problem with guys who do that to their team. I mean, at some point in time, your actions have to be a reflection of your character.

4. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Corey, I agree with you...but the flip slide is that these kids do get taken advantage of in many situations and as much as I admire an attitude of team first....still...

• Like Like x 1
  5. kp

kp Well-Known Member

I would think if a player refused to play, his scholarship would be pulled. Right? That is the deal. The university gives him a full ride and he plays football, right?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry O'Keefe

I don't know how the mechanics of paying for tuition/room/books/etc works. I think it might be that when the kid registers that the Ath Dept pays the money and is done with it. Isn't that how it works for non-scholarship kids, money is due when you register. I guess maybe there are some payment plans, there weren't when I went to Texas.

I guess the Ath Dept could ask for a prorated refund from the kid, but that would seem to be a bit of a really bad publicity move.

I know of course that Kelly Bryant finished out his semester as he needed to do that to qualify for a graduate transfer and immediate eligibility.

7. kp

kp Well-Known Member

It's kind of interesting that with all of the interest in college loans being so huge, that athletic scholarships seem to be minimized.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Terry O'Keefe

Well the student debt re: college loans can be huge in many cases. Many of the top schools are private, Ivies, NYU, Duke, Northwestern, ND, Stanford ...70K/yr so kids can graduate with over 100K in debt.

That's why an athletic scholarship to me is so valuable, if the kid stays and even if he/she never reaches the heights they did in HS Sports, they graduate with little or no student debt. If they took out a loan it wasn't for tuition/books/room/board. Plus don't all of these kids get up to 5K for "cost of attendance" theoretically for necessities (paper for printers, pens, pencils, I don't know what else). Why do I think most of that money just goes for pocket spending money.

9. kp

kp Well-Known Member

Terry, yeah there seems to be some "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of deal. Scholarship athletes receive substantial compensation for " performing". A few also get the benefit of showcasing their talents to future employers. The universities make money, the networks make money, the NCAA makes money, but the athletes make money too. No loans, no debt. If they are diligent they get a college degree, if they are good enough they get the opportunity to make a lot of money. Everyone agrees that a college degree is too expensive but they also seem to agree that the athletic scholarship is meager compensation.

• Like Like x 1