The new Reb Qb

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Motorcity Gator, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Check this article out about Brent Schaeffer:

After taking 20-plus hours this semester to get his associate's degree, Schaeffer plans to enter summer school at Ole Miss. There's little down time.

"You're not getting a typical juco quarterback," Siegel told recruiters. "This guy has been in front of 105,000 people. He knows what it's like to stare down a blitz from the University of Florida. That's what attracted all those schools," he added. "The kid is pure talent. This guy is polished."

Polished is a relative word. Most of us remember Schaeffer transferring from Tennessee after his freshman year in 2004. The five-star prep star from Deerfield Beach, Fla., split time with fellow freshman Erik Ainge, starting three games. Then he broke his collarbone.

There were hints that Schaeffer was being moved to receiver or kick returner. Then he was charged with a misdemeanor after an alleged dorm fight with a student.

"A coach at Tennessee told me if Brent isn't planning on transferring that probably doesn't come out," Siegel said.

Hmmm.....quite a dig on the Tenn. staff and how they handle their players. Sounds like Brent has hard feelings.

2. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

Hey MCG,

How about using the Quote feature so we can tell what is being quoted from the article and what is being added, if anything, by you.
    This kid feels like he was not GIVEN a fair shot at Tennessee. I would expect him to say worse than what is quoted here.

Tennessee is berated for not being tough enough, and we are berated for being too tough. Can't please everyone! :roll:

3. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Tom,
    The dig on UT is the quote by Siegel that if Schaeffer isn't transferring he probably get's a lighter deal by the UT coaches for the fight which seems unethical at best.

Again this could be an unhappy player speaking through his JC coach and not really what transpired. But nonetheless it disparages the UT staff to a degree.

4. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Well-Known Member Administrator

I wrote:
    The operative word there was "GIVEN." He thought that he should have been handed the position and threw a baby fit when that didn't happen.

I wish the kid well but will not lose sleep if he gets beat out by another QB at Ole Miss. :roll:

5. Gator Bill

Gator Bill Well-Known Member Administrator

Hey he's gone, and apparently has worked pretty hard to get his life back in order. I don't see any criticism for anyone here and I wish the young man good luck except when he plays the Gators.

Gator Bill