The more things change...

Discussion in 'The Back Room' started by Terry O'Keefe, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Terry O'Keefe

Terry O'Keefe Well-Known Member Administrator

well they just change.

A Democrat superPAC assoc with Nancy Pelosi has been polling as a part of their House Majority Project. That is how to win back the house. They polled White working class voters. They got some shocks.

I wonder if they can ever regain this vote without alienating their Black and Hispanic voters? The white working class used to be a core Democratic group.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/07/31/democrats-own-poll-shows-white-working-class-voters-prefer-republican-policies-by-wide-margin/

2. Motorcity Gator

Motorcity Gator Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff put forth by that conservative media outlet Breitbart.

The ones polled are no college degree white working people who make up 34% of the electorate.

Probably the least likely group to be assisted in any way by the GOP in terms of medicare, social security and tax breaks.... or small businees owners too stingy to give them better healthcare and a raise.

And yet.... they blindly trudge on hoping against hope that somehow the GOP cares about their plight.

Did I say no college education? Yes.... I did.

They get their higher learning from Fox News and conservative media... like Breitbart.

3. George Krebs

George Krebs Well-Known Member

College degrees are nice. Plumbing, electrician, master auto mechanic and HVAC licenses are often better.

4. gipper

gipper Well-Known Member

Actually they've come to the realization that the Democratic Party has turned their back on them, representing those born with the victim gene who blame every failure in their life on white males. Amazingly those without a college degree can see than while some degree holders just don't get it.

5. Motorcity Gator

In today's Republican based business philosophy hard work doesn't pay off..... it just stagnates while the few who do have the most get more and those on the right side want tax breaks for those at the top to hoard even more.

So where do these skilled tradesmen and general workplace drones turn? How do they change their plight if hard work doesn't do it?

The GOP philosophy seems to be if you can screw 'em.... well screw 'em!!!

6. RECcane

RECcane Well-Known Member

Dave when I read this I'm fairly confident that you've never owned or managed a small business before.

7. Motorcity Gator

Ralph when I wrote that I almost said.... "except for Ralph." :wink: :D

Your healthcare policy is exceptional.

8. Stu Ryckman

Stu Ryckman Well-Known Member

Having owned four small businesses (2 successful, 2 not-so-much)...

Aw WTF is the use? It's like arguing with a brick wall. Deleted my response.

9. George Krebs

I am absolutely certain that Dave never owned a small business before. That post was ridiculous.

10. Motorcity Gator

George,

My previous company in Detroit for 23 years was run by a younger brother who absolutely believed in hard work paying off.... rewarding nicely those who succeeded for the company.

This guy I work for now could give two shits how hard you work.... except you get to keep your job I guess.

I am making the same money I made in 1996 and I have been for the past 8 years..... and most likely will make that same money for the rest of my working life as along as I stay here in this job.

in short..... I am on the down side of a mediocre career....

:wink: :D

11. George Krebs

As a small business owner of 37 years, I take great offense when you make blanket statements about the intent of people like myself.

It is almost 10:00PM where I sit and I just a few moments ago finished my business activity for the day which began at 0530. That is normal for me. I do all I can possibly do for my employees and always wish I could do more because they are my second most important asset, next to my own work ethic, which is unquestiioned. But exploding cost such as taxes, health insurances, freight, inventory, training various support services, business insurances, utilities, etc. must be met in addition to salary increases and perks. As far as salary increases go, I evaluate everyone the same way; by what they have done above and beyond what they were doing when they got the last increase. If they cannot put forth a case, then they are already fairly compensated. Tenure only counts in the publi sector.

12. IrishCorey

IrishCorey Well-Known Member

This country is just lost at the moment. The divides are deep. They are mostly racial divides that have been dug deeply by both sides. It's really not as socio-economic as the Democrats would like to believe. At the same time, just because I believe the Democrats to be a lost party doesn't mean that this President isn't an absolute clusterf*ck of missteps and rushed judgment.

When you step back from American history and look at it in the macro, this isn't the first time we've been rutted so badly and it probably won't be the last.

The bottom line is that even most people here in red belt Alabama back Trump regardless of how much he messes up because no matter what, he's better than any Democrat. The DNC is really trying hard here with grass roots efforts centered around issues that could chip away at the American middle class, but they've just got too much ground to make up.

13. Motorcity Gator

I agree 110% George. Being in sales I was always compensated for my successes.... and I had great success both at my previous job in Detroit and here in Florida.

The difference is that the owner of the company in Detroit valued those successes and rewarded me accordingly. This guy here in Florida is a complete Trumpster who has no inclination to dole out any of his money to his employees no matter how successful they are.

And the guy in Detroit was a Rush Limbaugh disciple at the time this all went down.... but actually I do think near the end he had gravitated more to the downsizing and stagnation of income paid to his workers and probably continues that GOP mantra to this day.

The recession and auto bankruptcies were just icing on the cake for a conservative movement in his compensation philosophy that had already begun.

Corey.... I agree you hit the nail on the head as to why the core Trump supporters ( white male - rural and no college degrees ) are seemingliy oblivious to the GOP policies that in reality do them no good.

It's a subtle or even not so subtle racism that drives the inner beliefs of some of them. They equate the Dems as helping only poor blacks and bad for everyone else.

14. George Krebs

The problem is not the GOP. Their ineptness and lack of fortitude is beyond question.

The real issue is the Democratic party that campaigns entirely on labels and identity and does not forward any meaningful initiatives.

Trump's support across all demographics is solid and always will be for two reasons: he speaks to the middle annd lower classes of opportunity and the democrats continue to name call and denigrate anyone who supports Trump. You have done it yourself, Dave, many times in this thread alone. Every time you do, it locks me in a little tighter for Trump, in spite of all his miscues and loose talk.

You better focus on your own party where all the influential politicians look like the Crypt Keeper. That might be a problem, huh?

15. Motorcity Gator

True.... we don't have many Kelly Anns in the group that's for sure.

:wink:

16. RECcane

Dave you have to realize the elitist ideology and identity name calling game the progressive left has used for the past several years has played itself out. This is one of the reasons why Trump achieved a victory because as George mentioned the constant denigration pushes people farther away and towards anything but that thought process.

What's funny is the progs can't seem to figure this out in spite of their self appointed intellect. They offer no new ideas or alternatives to any of the issues at hand. What they do excel at is an unmatched bitterness against any and all who dare to think outside of their given parameters....

17. Motorcity Gator

Ralph the sad truth is that your post is correct..... but you could interchange the words right and left and vice versa and the descriptions you use of each group would remain constant.

18. RECcane

I think everyone reading your comments wholeheartedly agrees either political side is a sad state of affairs and at times interchangeable...Problem is I don't really see any of that changing on the horizon...

19. George Krebs

You got nothing. That is your big problem.

20. Motorcity Gator

Somrtimes you wonder if Kelly Ann is doing what she's doing because The Donald has been a little "grabby" with her.... :wink: :D